The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St. Andrews History Applicants - 2011 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KThackery
Its almost impossible to know about these things since so much is up to luck but those are pretty reasonable grades so you have a chance. Trouble is that this year there are so many applicants, many of whom will be very strong (even oxbridge standered). I wouldn't dismiss the possiblility but i also dont think that it is wise for anyone to set too much hope on something which can be so up to chance, that goes for everyone not just you. Sorry if that wasnt the reassurence you had hoped for.

Good luck, i really hope it works out for you :smile:

I'm not going next year, I'm going in about three years I was just wondering because I love History :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I'm not going next year, I'm going in about three years I was just wondering because I love History :smile:

Oh i see, sorry i got confused cause most people on this thread are for 2011 entry. Wow mate you are getting a bit ahead of yourself :smile: i have to say im rather impressed, i hadnt even heard of half the places i applied to before yr12.

Well, again there is no way of knowing really, particularly this far in advance. i know that just a decade ago it was possible to get in to SAs with ABC AS grades but from what i have seen from other subjects this year people have been rejected dispite having A2 predictions of A*AA so who knows what the case will be by the time you apply.

Also, if you continue to love history, it is perfectly possible to find amazing hisotry courses at all sorts of universities, so dont let the high entry requirements at places like SAs put you off doing what you love!!
Reply 22
Original post by multiplexing-gamer

There is absolutely no way of knowing. Your GCSE grades are good however you can't just assume you'll get good AS grades or predicted A level grades. Grades are not everything, your whole application is taken into account.
Reply 23
Its almost impossible to know about these things since so much is up to luck but those are pretty reasonable grades so you have a chance. Trouble is that this year there are so many applicants, many of whom will be very strong (even oxbridge standered). I wouldn't dismiss the possiblility but i also dont think that it is wise for anyone to set too much hope on something which can be so up to chance, that goes for everyone not just you. Sorry if that wasnt the reassurence you had hoped for.

Good luck, i really hope it works out for you :smile:

Why are there so many applications from strong candidates this year?
I got an offer today :smile: :smile: AAB.
the perfect insurance, I think.
Reply 25
Original post by flywithemma
I got an offer today :smile: :smile: AAB.
the perfect insurance, I think.

Wow well done!! Okay, now i am terrified :frown: Im right in thinking that you have an Oxford offer right? Do you mind if i ask what grades you have for GCSEs and A-Levels?
Reply 26
I've just seen two V100 History offers on the main St. A's applicants thread. Looks like the History dept. are finally getting their butt into gear. Well done everyone. :biggrin:
Wow well done!! Okay, now i am terrified :frown: Im right in thinking that you have an Oxford offer right? Do you mind if i ask what grades you have for GCSEs and A-Levels?

HI :smile: yeah, through some minor miracle I have an Oxford offer :smile:
Grades wise, I have 10A*s and an A at GCSE, and 4 As at AS Level...sitting A Levels this summer, and I'm predicted A*A*A in History, English Lit and French at A2 (dropped Maths), however these are HIDEOUSLY over optimistic predictions, haha.
I'm sure you'll hear soon :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by flywithemma
HI :smile: yeah, through some minor miracle I have an Oxford offer :smile:
Grades wise, I have 10A*s and an A at GCSE, and 4 As at AS Level...sitting A Levels this summer, and I'm predicted A*A*A in History, English Lit and French at A2 (dropped Maths), however these are HIDEOUSLY over optimistic predictions, haha.
I'm sure you'll hear soon :smile:

Awsome, thanks for the info :smile: You have a pretty amazing set of grades there! It may take a while longer for them to get to me since my GCSEs weren't as high as yours. Ah!! i am going insain with waiting
Reply 29
Original post by becko37
I've just seen two V100 History offers on the main St. A's applicants thread. Looks like the History dept. are finally getting their butt into gear. Well done everyone. :biggrin:

omgomgomgomgpanicbegins
Reply 30
Original post by Delaney
omgomgomgomgpanicbegins

Both English people, admittedly. :rolleyes: I know a couple of people (Scottish) still waiting on V100 too. In fact, I don't know ANYONE who has heard for straight History yet; all the people I know of are Joint Honours applicants. Don't panic just yet. :biggrin:
Reply 31
I am one of the two people on the main thread :smile:

Username: Faenixamo
Date of reply: 1st March
Offer: Conditional (AAB - A in History)
Reply 32
Original post by faenixamo
I am one of the two people on the main thread :smile:

Username: Faenixamo
Date of reply: 1st March
Offer: Conditional (AAB - A in History)

Congratulations!

Conditional offers coming in at last :biggrin:

Do you mind me asking when you submitted your application?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Congratulations to all who have received offers :biggrin:

What time of day did your offer come in?
Reply 34
Original post by Escocia
Congratulations!

Conditional offers coming in at last :biggrin:

Do you mind me asking when you submitted your application?

Thanks! :biggrin:

I sent mine early on - October 15th
Reply 35
Also, to anyone who does have offers... is anyone going to the Visit Day on the 13th April?
Reply 36
Ahh, the two that have got offers so far submitted their applications in early October.

Hopefully that means they're doing it by submission date, so I might get a reply (Nov. 18th) :biggrin:
Reply 37
Original post by Escocia
Ahh, the two that have got offers so far submitted their applications in early October.

Hopefully that means they're doing it by submission date, so I might get a reply (Nov. 18th) :biggrin:

Sorry to scupper your idea but I applied on the 9th of October :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by Escocia

Original post by Delaney

I applied on the 15th of October too but i haven't heard anything... im hoping your theory is wrong since otherwise it suggests that my application has been put into a maybe pile for later :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by Delaney

Ahh, well. It's was worth a try...:tongue:
Guess I'll just wait in limbo for the next.... 4 weeks....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending