The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trouble Chime
For anyone who went for a interview. was there a strict dress code? Did people dress casually or wear smart clothes etc?

I wouldnt say it was strict, people go for varying degrees of smart casual. I wore a black skirt, top and suit jacket but there were people in jeans and stuff so I wouldnt stress too much :smile: good luck.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by StefanieLouise
I finally got my offer for English and American Lit. with a year abroad this morning.:biggrin: Now I just need to decide between Kent and Lancaster - even though people say Lancaster is the better university, I'm really not at all excited about the location, whereas Kent is still a great university and in almost the perfect location for myself.

I have the same dilemma but for my insurance. Kent is only a 2 hours away and Lancaster is like 5 hours away... I still need to visit Lancaster.
Original post by diamonddust
I have the same dilemma but for my insurance. Kent is only a 2 hours away and Lancaster is like 5 hours away... I still need to visit Lancaster.

I have a feeling I'll probably go with Kent personally, even if I don't visit Lancaster. Just from what I've seen, heard, read, Kent seems the better place for me. I'd feel like my money had been somewhat wasted if I had to live somewhere that I didn't particularly enjoy for three years.
hi, everyone... i'm firming medway school of pharmacy(university of kent).. i just need help with choosing the right hostel(not en suite)... thanks for your time
Am I the only one nervous that I may have made a mistake choosing Tyler Court B & C as my first choice accommodation? I don't regret it, I really wanted en-suite and they looked so lovely, I just hope the price isn't going to come back to bite me later on.:s-smilie:
Am I the only one nervous that I may have made a mistake choosing Tyler Court B & C as my first choice accommodation? I don't regret it, I really wanted en-suite and they looked so lovely, I just hope the price isn't going to come back to bite me later on.:s-smilie:

Yeah, the price seems so much higher compared to other Unis. I wanted en suite so I went for Tyler A, as seemed slightly more reasonable.
You'd be suprised. B&C are amazing. A is pretty **** for the money you pay for it. Price comparison: A you get a tiny room and a crappy wet room, tiny kitchen and everything seems to be falling apart. B&C, for £500 more a year you get massive kitchens, nice little flats of people, massive and much nicer rooms but the en suites are the same.
Ah well. I'm glad I picked B & C, although whether I get offered a room is a different question. I guess the higher price for the accommodation will just add to the student experience, as in, being in a permanent state of poverty.
Ah well. I'm glad I picked B & C, although whether I get offered a room is a different question. I guess the higher price for the accommodation will just add to the student experience, as in, being in a permanent state of poverty.

You should be alright, most people tseem to be applying for Parkwood. Very true. If you ever want to split a pack of tesco value digestive biscuits, holla.
Basically, none of it is crap :wink: You'll be pretty damn happy with wherever you end up, mainly because of the people (hopefully!). If not, you'll know somewhere else you can move to, maybe with newly formed friends...it'll all be fine :smile:
Reply 610
Hi all,
i am a final year IB student, ive applied and gotten an offer for the uni of kent (canterbury) psychology program
thing is, i am having a tough time deciding between the uni of kent and uni of brighton. any opinions/insights?
what is the community like in kent?
thanks!
Wow, Kent accommodation is expensive in comparison to UEA. The UEA premium ensuite is about the same as Parkwood 5 bedroom houses!
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows how likely it is for Kent to still give you a place if you miss your offer by one grade? (e.g. ABB/AAC instead of AAB)

Thanks.
Reply 613
Original post by asha_patel
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows how likely it is for Kent to still give you a place if you miss your offer by one grade? (e.g. ABB/AAC instead of AAB)

Thanks.

When I visited they said they'd rather take people who really want to go there and only just missed out than those who go through clearing and don't really want to be there, because someone who's gone through clearing is more likely to drop out, therefore there is some chance, but then again it's a good uni that gets lots of applicants!
Original post by ENI93
When I visited they said they'd rather take people who really want to go there and only just missed out than those who go through clearing and don't really want to be there, because someone who's gone through clearing is more likely to drop out, therefore there is some chance, but then again it's a good uni that gets lots of applicants!

Thank you! I'm hoping i don't drop a grade, but if i do i still really want to go to Kent and when i went to visit it didn't even occur to me to ask about it.
Original post by AlexInWonderland
Wow, Kent accommodation is expensive in comparison to UEA. The UEA premium ensuite is about the same as Parkwood 5 bedroom houses!

Same with private renting, I have a friend at UEA who is paying something stupid like £100 less than me for somewhere that is probably nicer. Bastard, I hate him x)
Original post by paeperpeeple
Same with private renting, I have a friend at UEA who is paying something stupid like £100 less than me for somewhere that is probably nicer. Bastard, I hate him x)

That's pretty damn annoying. Especially as my parents hardly have the money to help me out much.
Reply 617
Has anyone else applied or know anything about the new Keynes extension? I'm stuck on which accommodation to choose!!
Original post by hnxrose
Has anyone else applied or know anything about the new Keynes extension? I'm stuck on which accommodation to choose!!

All I know about it is that its still a building site...
Is there any information on site (stupid question) or a brochure you can order with details?
Reply 619
Original post by Loz17
All I know about it is that its still a building site...
Is there any information on site (stupid question) or a brochure you can order with details?

The site has very little information and I've called the accommodation who seem just as confused as me lol. From what I've managed to gather.. It's bedroom layout is similar to Tyler B&C and with 8 to one kitchen in the flats. Just with the town houses I haven't managed to get any information.. As they're apparently 8/9 to one house but it's not clear how many bathrooms there will be :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending