The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
What do people think about Edinburgh's Japanese course?

I went to an open day back in 2009, and it was absolutely shambolic. There was nobody from the department there, the whole department seemed to be one room, and they were completely unable to tell us any specifics about the course, other than that it was difficult and involved 5 textbooks.

Shortly afterwards, we were told by a current student that the languages department had taken swingeing cuts, and as a result smaller subjects were being tipped off the edge...
Original post by Chayne
Just wanted to say, I couldn't get down for my interview at SOAS, so they called me up to request a phone interview. I literally just had it an hour or so ago. :rolleyes:

What sort of things did they ask?

I guess it depends what sort of person you are but I quite like the idea of a phone interview!

(Sorry if this is a bit random)
Reply 482
Original post by Chayne
Just wanted to say, I couldn't get down for my interview at SOAS, so they called me up to request a phone interview. I literally just had it an hour or so ago. :rolleyes:

How was it? Was it long?
Original post by ussumane
how was it?

It went okay thanks, but I've decided that I'm going to firm either Leeds or Sheffield, I don't think SOAS is right for me :/
Reply 484
Original post by venuswaltz
What sort of things did they ask?

I guess it depends what sort of person you are but I quite like the idea of a phone interview!

(Sorry if this is a bit random)

Whoa, sorry for the delay..

She asked me the usual - why I decided to study Japanese, which lectures most interested me, she gave me "situation" and I had to explain how I would react to it, she asked what my level was - due to some confusion there. I really can't remember it that well, since I was just blabbering out of nervousness :redface: It was about 20 minutes long - but that just may be me going on and on.. and asking questions at the end when she asked if I had any :tongue:

Yeahh, I thought I'd enjoy a phone interview, but actually I think it was worse than in person. I think it's because you can't really gauge the reaction of the interviewer.. Also it was hard to take a really official, formal stance on the phone - felt more like a chat or a little natter and a giggle - not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Either way, it's over now. I haven't heard back yet, but I did my best so.. I'm content. :s-smilie:

How was it? Was it long?

Also, it was okay, I think. Not sure if I've got it tbh. I kinda went on a bit... -_-
They told me in the email that the interview should last 15 minutes, though it was about 20 minutes. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 485
Original post by Chayne
Whoa, sorry for the delay..

She asked me the usual - why I decided to study Japanese, which lectures most interested me, she gave me "situation" and I had to explain how I would react to it, she asked what my level was - due to some confusion there. I really can't remember it that well, since I was just blabbering out of nervousness :redface: It was about 20 minutes long - but that just may be me going on and on.. and asking questions at the end when she asked if I had any :tongue:

Yeahh, I thought I'd enjoy a phone interview, but actually I think it was worse than in person. I think it's because you can't really gauge the reaction of the interviewer.. Also it was hard to take a really official, formal stance on the phone - felt more like a chat or a little natter and a giggle - not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Either way, it's over now. I haven't heard back yet, but I did my best so.. I'm content. :s-smilie:

Also, it was okay, I think. Not sure if I've got it tbh. I kinda went on a bit... -_-
They told me in the email that the interview should last 15 minutes, though it was about 20 minutes. :smile:

Awww :h:

If you get an offer from SOAS, will you have it as you firm? Or you sticking to Sheffield? :beard:
anyone firming leeds for japanese?
Reply 487
Awww :h:

If you get an offer from SOAS, will you have it as you firm? Or you sticking to Sheffield? :beard:

No idea tbh. If I get an offer, it will throw everything into disarray in my mind. I'd have to seriously consider it.

Though if I am rejected, my decision is made for me :tongue:

I hate decisions :mad:
Original post by Narutofan88
anyone firming leeds for japanese?

Most likely I will be :biggrin:
Reply 489
I have applied for Japanese and business management/international management this year and got offers from leeds, cardiff and manchester. Still waiting for SOAS.
SOAS was my first choice until I went up for a department open day in manchester and I really liked it there. Although the course there is quite new (set up for 4years?), they've got Toyko University in the list of Unis in Japan!!! This really means something to me as I don't think I can have anther chance to study in there in my life. If SOAS gives me an offer I will really have a headache! By the way, looking back the posts the teaching in SOAS is not very good? And i think people will heard of Manchester rather than SOAS(as none of my frds knew that before I really apply for it).
Reply 490
Original post by siu0129
they've got Toyko University in the list of Unis

Doesn't the uni you go to on your year abroad also depend on how well you did in exams? i.e. only doing "okay" = only getting into an "okay" uni on your year abroad, etc. :s-smilie:
Reply 491
Original post by siu0129
I have applied for Japanese and business management/international management this year and got offers from leeds, cardiff and manchester. Still waiting for SOAS.
SOAS was my first choice until I went up for a department open day in manchester and I really liked it there. Although the course there is quite new (set up for 4years?), they've got Toyko University in the list of Unis in Japan!!! This really means something to me as I don't think I can have anther chance to study in there in my life. If SOAS gives me an offer I will really have a headache! By the way, looking back the posts the teaching in SOAS is not very good? And i think people will heard of Manchester rather than SOAS(as none of my frds knew that before I really apply for it).

Cool, another person applying for business and Japanese. I didnt apply to Cardiff or Leeds like you but I do have an offer from Manchester for the same course! I'm still waiting on Soas, Edinburgh and UCL ( buy that's for statistics economics and language which you can do Japanese). I'm thinking I'll still be waiting ages for Edinburgh but Soas should be sometime soon.
Do u get an email from Soas about a month ago telling about how the course structure has changed from being international management japan and Korea to two separate courses, one for japand and the other Korea. And they asked which one I wanted to do and also said the degree is still awaiting approval and they will keep me up to date.. Did you get that too??
And yeah Manchester is quite new for Japanese but their business is really good.. I haven't gone to an open day tho so I don't really know much. My first choice is Edinburgh and then maybe Soas or Manchester.. I'm not sure.
Reply 492
Original post by avila
Doesn't the uni you go to on your year abroad also depend on how well you did in exams? i.e. only doing "okay" = only getting into an "okay" uni on your year abroad, etc. :s-smilie:

They said they will look at your first year grade...doesn't matter coz you just need to work harder : P
Reply 493
Original post by Ruadhan
Cool, another person applying for business and Japanese. I didnt apply to Cardiff or Leeds like you but I do have an offer from Manchester for the same course! I'm still waiting on Soas, Edinburgh and UCL ( buy that's for statistics economics and language which you can do Japanese). I'm thinking I'll still be waiting ages for Edinburgh but Soas should be sometime soon.
Do u get an email from Soas about a month ago telling about how the course structure has changed from being international management japan and Korea to two separate courses, one for japand and the other Korea. And they asked which one I wanted to do and also said the degree is still awaiting approval and they will keep me up to date.. Did you get that too??
And yeah Manchester is quite new for Japanese but their business is really good.. I haven't gone to an open day tho so I don't really know much. My first choice is Edinburgh and then maybe Soas or Manchester.. I'm not sure.

I got that email too and I guess it is because there's so many people applying so they have to separate them into two...
SOAS's course is kind of new as they used to have "management" and Japanese instead of "international Management". Will this be a problem as the course is just started(even not yet approved)...anyway this is just what i think.
Reply 494
Original post by siu0129
I got that email too and I guess it is because there's so many people applying so they have to separate them into two...
SOAS's course is kind of new as they used to have "management" and Japanese instead of "international Management". Will this be a problem as the course is just started(even not yet approved)...anyway this is just what i think.

Yeah the course is brand new. And they are taking their time deciding whether to approve it or not.. I want my offer already.. Or at least a rejection. Where else did you apply. Besides Cardiff Leeds Manchester and Soas? Which is would be your first choice do you think? We might be seeing each other next year.. Oh yeah and what are your predicted grades?? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to scope out the competition lol
Reply 495
Original post by Ruadhan
I want my offer already.. Or at least a rejection.

SOAS is still making people wait? wow. :/
Reply 496
Original post by avila
SOAS is still making people wait? wow. :/

I've been waiting for almost 3 months :indiff:
Reply 497
I've been waiting for almost 3 months :indiff:

3 months is nothing. I've been waiting nearly five months now.. And I only have heard back from two out of five unis...
Original post by mmm-dorayaki
Most likely I will be :biggrin:

Kool what accomodation are u planning to go to, im planning to go Clarence dock also hav u done japanese before?

Original post by avila

yh i assume so and it should be the right way to do it, lazy people shouldnt be able to go to the same level uni as you if you worked harder in ur first year exams.
Reply 499
Original post by Ruadhan
Yeah the course is brand new. And they are taking their time deciding whether to approve it or not.. I want my offer already.. Or at least a rejection. Where else did you apply. Besides Cardiff Leeds Manchester and Soas? Which is would be your first choice do you think? We might be seeing each other next year.. Oh yeah and what are your predicted grades?? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to scope out the competition lol

That's very true...if SOAS rejects me..i will go straight to Manchester : P
I also applied for Birmingham...but I think I will either put SOAS or Manchester as my first choice. Predict grades....Birmingham ABB, Cardiff BB, Manchester and Leeds AB...how about you? If you could get into Edinburgh so you probably won't see me next year : D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending