The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Loovers:)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dragon

Original post by Dragon
I love being in York. The campus is nice, not too overwhelming, and the teaching quality is superb.

As for the city centre, it is certainly unconventional, and it's easy to get a bit lost if you don't know where you're going (something I've done several times), but I enjoyed exploring the city centre searching for places. I think the narrow streets are a nice touch, although the centre certainly does have a couple of larger streets. You'll never run out of places to drink either. York is packed with pubs of all shapes, sizes and atmospheres, there's a place for everyone. If you're a walker like me, the main campus is a 20 minute walk from town, not a huge distance. There are also regular buses if you're not.

wow you helped me so much! is it only 20 minutes?yes I love to walk and explore especially if the road is situated on a beautiful green land:smile:
University of York
York
many chinese students choose york~one of my friends will go to there in this August~^^
Original post by Aydn9
wow you helped me so much! is it only 20 minutes?yes I love to walk and explore especially if the road is situated on a beautiful green land:smile:

Normally when I walk into town it takes me about half an hour, and it's not really on green land... but I enjoy it anyway :h:
Reply 43
Original post by Aydn9

Well I am a very fast walker so it would probably be closer to 30 minutes for the average person.
Reply 44
Original post by loonyplatypus

Normally when I walk into town it takes me about half an hour, and it's not really on green land... but I enjoy it anyway :h:

Hmm..I am a nature freak:colondollar: Is York much of a historical place or is there a part where the land is mostly green and *foresty?(made that word up:rolleyes: )
Original post by Aydn9
Hmm..I am a nature freak:colondollar: Is York much of a historical place or is there a part where the land is mostly green and *foresty?(made that word up:rolleyes: )

York is one of the most historical cities in the country, it's beautiful :biggrin: And there are plenty of green spaces all around the city and the university, so don't worry about that ^_^
Original post by shayne Zhao
many chinese students choose york~one of my friends will go to there in this August~^^

I've chosen York and I'm a British Born Chinese, haha :P
Original post by hereinyourarms
I've chosen York and I'm a British Born Chinese, haha :P

good~if i choose york,i will tell u!~:wink:
York is one of the most historical cities in the country, it's beautiful :biggrin: And there are plenty of green spaces all around the city and the university, so don't worry about that ^_^

How the **** is this York beautiful?

Historical, yes. Beautiful, anything but, especially as its history is one of poverty and suffering. :rolleyes:
Original post by Jimbo1234

Historical, yes. Beautiful, anything but, especially as its history is one of poverty and suffering. :rolleyes:

How the **** is this not beautiful?

The Shambles doesn't photograph well but it's very cute in real life :h:
Reply 50
I think that Shambles picture looks quite pleasant myself. Far from ugly, anyway.
Reply 51
Original post by Dragon

Original post by Dragon
I think that Shambles picture looks quite pleasant myself. Far from ugly, anyway.

Same in here.I would love to be there right now and go to every little cute shop in that street:smile:
Original post by Aydn9
Same in here.I would love to be there right now and go to every little cute shop in that street:smile:

The fudge shops are amazing :sogood:
It took me 20 minutes to walk into the city centre when I lived on campus last year, but then I was in the new Vanbrugh accommodation which is right in the corner where people set off to town.

Well how profound. I love how you come out with this, yet still point Liverpool out as a good example, despite it being a city whose major foundations were built entirely upon a disgusting slave trade. Not to mention the kind of things that used to go on in London. Do you even know how history works?

I won't even go there about the rest of your ridiculous comments. **** troll.
Should also point out that The Shambles was voted nationally as the most picturesque street in the UK. So I'd probably value that result over the opinion of one internet badman.
Reply 55

The fudge shops are amazing :sogood:

you hit me through my heart:rolleyes:
Original post by shayne Zhao
good~if i choose york,i will tell u!~:wink:

haha okay! where else are you deciding between? and what subject?

I loved the character and feel of the bending narrow streets when I walked round the city centre last week before my visit day. More interesting than just a straight high street. Beauty is subjective and people's opinions differ. You don't like York, I get it. But I do :P
Original post by hereinyourarms
haha okay! where else are you deciding between? and what subject?

I loved the character and feel of the bending narrow streets when I walked round the city centre last week before my visit day. More interesting than just a straight high street. Beauty is subjective and people's opinions differ. You don't like York, I get it. But I do :P

edinburge,durham&york~haha:biggrin:
Hm, Clifford Tower anyone? :rolleyes:

What idiotic point are you trying to make? You keep judging York by its history (which is stupid in the first place) yet you're still fine with calling all the locals inbreds :rofl: What has this got to do with anything?
:rolleyes:
Herpaderp, you can't even remember what you wrote. Regardless, 95% of York looks like a piece of crap and the locals are vermin. That clear enough for you?

Of course not, but the majority of York looks horrible.

No I didn't. At no stage have I contradicted myself; all I did earlier was point out that it's incredibly stupid to use history to put York down and then praise another city while overlooking theirs. It's like you just pick at every available thing to complain, even if it's now completely irrelevant. But then you clearly can't ever argue your point properly anyway, so whatever.

York does not look horrible and the locals aren't vermin. Why the **** did you even come here if you hate it this much? Did it never occur to you that you should visit? Because surely if you did, you'd have noticed if it looked 'horrible' to you straight away. So don't belittle people on here for choosing a university that they liked and was suitable for them just because you're incapable of making a wise decision for yourself. Herpaderp.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending