The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FlobberDobber
Do you have an offer from Cambridge for Law? Which college? (HIII btw :biggrin:)

Yep, Fitzwilliam! :biggrin: Can I take it from that that you do, too?
Original post by Bethany
Hi there, quick question.

Supposing i did early application and was unsuccessful but my actual exam grades were good is it possible to contact the uni directly to ask them to reconsider my application? anyone heard of a case like that?

please let me know! thanks (:

Unless that university is in clearing/extra/adjustment at that time, almost certainly not...assuming you mean after you've got your summer exam results? In which case you can only enter clearing if you either have not met the conditions of your firm & insurance choice OR you held no offers/declined all offers/didn't find a place during extra. Adjustment also happens after summer exams, this allows you to 'trade up' universities if you're actual grades are higher than the offer for your firm choice (though only 400 people found places in adjustment last year). The advantage of this is you don't lose your original offer whilst you are looking. Sorry if this is all a bit non-specific/not in enough detail, but you need to ask a more specific question to get a more specific answer!
Original post by rtzj00
Hey,

Can I ask what ure grades are like- gcse, a levels etc?

5A*4A at GCSE, though whilst only attending school 50% of the time. AAAA at AS in Maths, Geog, Chem, Physics. Predicted A*A*A* in Geog Chem Phys. LNAT 27. Why'd you ask?
Original post by Vinchenko
5A*4A at GCSE, though whilst only attending school 50% of the time. AAAA at AS in Maths, Geog, Chem, Physics. Predicted A*A*A* in Geog Chem Phys. LNAT 27. Why'd you ask?

cause i was wondering how ucl cud reject u with 27 in the lnat... did u have an interview?
Original post by rtzj00
cause i was wondering how ucl cud reject u with 27 in the lnat... did u have an interview?

Nope! & obviously my ps and reference can't have been that bad, or everywhere else wouldn't have accepted me...the reason they gave was that they had a lot of applicants and they couldn't accept everyone who met their standards etc. etc....I don't really mind, though, no chance I'd have been going there given my other offers! Much prefer Durham as an insurance choice.
Original post by rtaylor05
Yes, I am talking about York. And yes that is indeed the letter to which I am referring! Well done to you :smile: My friend got the same one and I think it means that you got a pretty high score in your interview, and maybe a little lenience on your AAA if you fall a grade or two short! But yes standard AAA offer for everyone, so it is time for me to start working hard haha.

In my opinion the course is excellent. Whilst other law degrees give you good skills etc etc... In a time when it is so hard to get jobs/training contracts this degree actually gives you the skills you will need to become a lawyer in a practical sense. And I think that law firms recognise that. From what I've heard Magic Circle firms are particularly impressed (but obv you need the good grades etc too!). So I am firming it because I think that it will actually be more stimulating and fun than other law courses! Do you think you will choose York?
(wow... hello essay...)

Oh! Maybe they liked the whole beagle/lipstick thing then :colondollar: Although I think this year it will be harder to get into any course without the required entry grades, letter or no :frown:

I loved the look of the course as well. It looks much more 'hands-on' than traditional law courses, so to speak. I'm glad that it's being viewed favourably by the law firms at the moment, since it isn't unknown for them to be just a little snobby and traditionalist!

But yes, I think I'm going to firm it, getting rejected from Warwick yesterday helped me make up my mind! It's out of York and Leicester but I'm now almost certain I'll pick York, I think I'll get more out of a course there - not only in terms of the depth of my legal knowledge but also in terms of confidence and stuff...
Original post by anoushka1
Hey, Selwyn College right near the Sidgwick Site!
I see your going to St Cats, that is such a beautiful college, I know so many people that are going there weirdly! :smile:

:-o
Original post by High As A Kite

A spelling mistake? On an internet forum? WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO.
Original post by lawology
Oh! Maybe they liked the whole beagle/lipstick thing then :colondollar: Although I think this year it will be harder to get into any course without the required entry grades, letter or no :frown:

I loved the look of the course as well. It looks much more 'hands-on' than traditional law courses, so to speak. I'm glad that it's being viewed favourably by the law firms at the moment, since it isn't unknown for them to be just a little snobby and traditionalist!

But yes, I think I'm going to firm it, getting rejected from Warwick yesterday helped me make up my mind! It's out of York and Leicester but I'm now almost certain I'll pick York, I think I'll get more out of a course there - not only in terms of the depth of my legal knowledge but also in terms of confidence and stuff...

hey :smile: sorry to hear about warwick. do you mind telling me your gcses, AS's & predictions please? i've been waiting since novemberrrr :/
Original post by teaandcoffee
Better than everywhere (clearly a joke, in case you don't understand, or other TSR users) ! Just cos I am going, obv :wink:
Yeah I have firmed Reading :smile: I cannot wait to go to university now, my gap year is a bit boring at the moment. Good luck hearing from your other choices :smile:

EDIT: The person that negged this is a bit of a prat who doesn't understand sarcasm! :tongue:

ohh i seee :smile: i wouldn't be able to work after a gap year haha or wake up in time either !
Original post by xsexygyalx
hey :smile: sorry to hear about warwick. do you mind telling me your gcses, AS's & predictions please? i've been waiting since novemberrrr :/

I applied to Warwick expecting to get rejected to be honest :frown:
My grades aren't very good at all:
Gcse's - 1A*, 4A's, 4B's and 1c.
AS (English, History, Law and Psychology) - AABC
Predictions - AAAA

I think the main reason they rejected me was my GCSE's and the fact I had no work experience and I didn't really mention why I wanted to do law in my PS.

If I were you I wouldn't be too worried - Warwick are notoriously slow! And in this case, no news is probably good news since they've been sending out rejections this last week! Good luck!
Original post by lfcwatcher
sorry to hear that, i am sure you have some other uni offers, where els have you applied?

yeahh reading and sussex but waiting for warwick still :smile: kcl- rejection because of 'tough competition' -.-
Original post by Vinchenko
Yep, Fitzwilliam! :biggrin: Can I take it from that that you do, too?

St Catz and yesss :biggrin: A*AA offer, I assume the same for you? Can I add you on facebook? I'll mail you my name :P
Original post by anoushka1
Hey, Selwyn College right near the Sidgwick Site!
I see your going to St Cats, that is such a beautiful college, I know so many people that are going there weirdly! :smile:

Oooo if you want to put me in touch with them, please do :P

I know one person going to do Law at Selwyn :smile:
Reply 3634
Original post by xsexygyalx
yeahh reading and sussex but waiting for warwick still :smile: kcl- rejection because of 'tough competition' -.-

Hey. Sorry about your kcl rejection. What are your grades and predictions like and when did you apply please?
Original post by High As A Kite

Haha I see you are a little pedantic :tongue:
Reply 3636
Bristol Rejection.
Reply 3637
Original post by Krydel
Bristol Rejection.

same, just received it :frown:
Reply 3638
Original post by k1mg7
same, just received it :frown:

I'm more annoyed than upset really. I went on the Bristol summer school and the people there told me that anyone who went on the summer school was highly likely to get a place, and a good chance of a reduced offer. A flat out rejection i was not expected at all.

I have emailed for decision feedback, will you try and find out too, or?
Reply 3639
Original post by Krydel
I'm more annoyed than upset really. I went on the Bristol summer school and the people there told me that anyone who went on the summer school was highly likely to get a place, and a good chance of a reduced offer. A flat out rejection i was not expected at all.

I have emailed for decision feedback, will you try and find out too, or?

so am i! i'm really annoyed. yeah, i emailed them as soon as i received the rejection to ask them the reason. i'm pretty sure it's my lnat though, because i did reallyyy badly in it. how did you do in it? :\ i just sent you a message by the way :smile:!

Latest

Trending

Trending