The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have any other first years got a completely empty portfolio? All this talk always makes me think it's something else I should probably be doing but can't be assed.

Surely most of this **** we do in year 1 is a waste of time in the long haul, right?
Original post by RollerBall
Have any other first years got a completely empty portfolio? All this talk always makes me think it's something else I should probably be doing but can't be assed.

Surely most of this **** we do in year 1 is a waste of time in the long haul, right?

I'd say so - but people can feel free to correct me - it's more stuff in clinics that would count imo
I don't even know what's meant to go in these portfolios :dontknow:

Do my portfolio essays go in? Certificate wise, all I have is one to say I've done IPL......
Original post by Philosoraptor
I'd say so - but people can feel free to correct me - it's more stuff in clinics that would count imo

Good. *Off to play more video games instead*
Reply 1664
Portfolios fill up quickly.

Mine has all my qualification certificates (from degree onward), all my course certificates, evidence of teaching, research, audit and a collection of bits and bobs from 'other achievements' and then a print out from eportfolio filling up mountains of space at the back.
Reply 1665

I don't even know what a portfolio is?
Original post by lekky

Original post by lekky
I don't even know what a portfolio is?

Kind of like the portfolios art students take to interview I believe.

Full of all relevant stuff you've done to make you look super impressive :yep:
Reply 1667
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Kind of like the portfolios art students take to interview I believe.

Full of all relevant stuff you've done to make you look super impressive :yep:

Ohhh urm I wouldn't even know what kind of stuff.
Original post by lekky

Original post by lekky
Ohhh urm I wouldn't even know what kind of stuff.

As first years I don't think we've done anything to put in it :p: I know in 5th year we have a sign off thing for various procedures in our preparation for FY1 module that I'm assuming goes in there. And stuff like Life Support courses etc I think.....
Original post by Renal
Portfolios fill up quickly.

Mine has all my qualification certificates (from degree onward), all my course certificates, evidence of teaching, research, audit and a collection of bits and bobs from 'other achievements' and then a print out from eportfolio filling up mountains of space at the back.

So all this stuff my tutor is telling me about putting exam results and medsoc stuff in it is bollucks?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1670
So all this stuff my tutor is telling me about putting exam results and medsoc stuff in it is bullucks?
Not necessarily.

Your portfolio is going to support your application when you apply for CT/ST jobs (and maybe FY ones in another few years). It needs to support all your claims, so if you might need to claim that you got a distinction in first year it would be handy to have a certificate or degree transcript that said so. You also need to demonstrate concepts like reflective practice, continuing education, teaching and so on. So, if you have material that demonstrates anything like this it might be worth keeping hold of it.

Have a look at the person specifications (like this one; http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/pdf/PS%202011%20CT1%20CMT.pdf) which outline some of the broad concepts.
Original post by Renal
Not necessarily.

Your portfolio is going to support your application when you apply for CT/ST jobs (and maybe FY ones in another few years). It needs to support all your claims, so if you might need to claim that you got a distinction in first year it would be handy to have a certificate or degree transcript that said so. You also need to demonstrate concepts like reflective practice, continuing education, teaching and so on. So, if you have material that demonstrates anything like this it might be worth keeping hold of it.

Have a look at the person specifications (like this one; http://www.mmc.nhs.uk/pdf/PS%202011%20CT1%20CMT.pdf) which outline some of the broad concepts.

Cheers.
went with a SHO to certify a death today, steep learning curve...surprised how rapid the whole thing is.
Original post by Wangers
went with a SHO to certify a death today, steep learning curve...surprised how rapid the whole thing is.

I went to the mortuary on my first ever morning of work experience to watch the SHO do the crem checks. If being in a fridge full of dead people didn't put me off medicine, I doubt anything would have...
Reply 1674
Original post by Wangers

Was it certify or confirm? I'm such a pedant... Both useful things to see as a student though!

Portfolio woe - they didn't even appreciate my beautiful index page, smooth plastic walllets, page numberings or colourful evidences today & just wanted me to talk it through. My portfolio needs love. :bawling: Do get certificates for things if you can though - printing out emails did seem a bit amature but it was that or payslips for some things (!)
Reply 1675
Original post by Elles
Was it certify or confirm? I'm such a pedant... Both useful things to see as a student though!

Portfolio woe - they didn't even appreciate my beautiful index page, smooth plastic walllets, page numberings or colourful evidences today & just wanted me to talk it through. My portfolio needs love. :bawling: Do get certificates for things if you can though - printing out emails did seem a bit amature but it was that or payslips for some things (!)
I know how you feel!

(Although I did manage to flash my 'Best Male FY1' from the last jobs leaving bash at at least one interview :wink:)
Original post by Elles

It beats "This doesn't count as evidence" "No, this doesn't count as evidence either" "Have you got evidence for that?"... :cry:
Original post by Helenia
It beats "This doesn't count as evidence" "No, this doesn't count as evidence either" "Have you got evidence for that?"... :cry:

:eek:

I something I should be compiling now, as a final year medical student?
I wish Xbox 360 achievements were recognisable mmc achievements.
Original post by Elles

Oh sorry was to confirm death immediatly after, expected lcp etc.

Latest

Trending

Trending