The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by G550NDH
When do you think they will give replies ? Mid March or End of March ?

Mid march, Heard from leeds yet? And why do you have wenger in your sig, i don't like him anymore :colonhash: couldn't put together a better team to beat B'ham :sad:
Original post by dmz
Mid march, Heard from leeds yet? And why do you have wenger in your sig, i don't like him anymore :colonhash: couldn't put together a better team to beat B'ham :sad:

Alright mate, long time geeza. Cheers for the info. I really want to go to Glasgow :frown: Got rejected from leeds. Bastards. You ?

Wenger has his faults, but he was the man who lead the inviicibles and signed some of the greatest players in Gunners history. Other teams die of envy when they see our football. All because of that man.
Reply 1222
Original post by G550NDH
Alright mate, long time geeza. Cheers for the info. I really want to go to Glasgow :frown: Got rejected from leeds. Bastards. You ?

Wenger has his faults, but he was the man who lead the inviicibles and signed some of the greatest players in Gunners history. Other teams die of envy when they see our football. All because of that man.

Got rejected from keele, nothing from leeds or aberdeen. I badly want to go now as well but so scared of getting rejected

I loved him, even when we lose, but this one match, he couldn't bring on fabregas or form some kind of team chemistry, they didn't even meed to play good to win :facepalm:
Reply 1223
So,

In light of the daily torture that is not hearing anything about offers ( I know that for Glasgow it will be at least a couple of weeks yet) I am making myself feel better by thinking about what I will do if I don't get an offer.

I think I will spend a year hanging out with my kids and doing the school run type stuff and work part time in a healthcare setting before re-applying next year (knowing the interview process and certainly being able to improve on the UKCAT knowing what to expect here too)

How about the rest of you?
Original post by AuldYin
So,

In light of the daily torture that is not hearing anything about offers ( I know that for Glasgow it will be at least a couple of weeks yet) I am making myself feel better by thinking about what I will do if I don't get an offer.

I think I will spend a year hanging out with my kids and doing the school run type stuff and work part time in a healthcare setting before re-applying next year (knowing the interview process and certainly being able to improve on the UKCAT knowing what to expect here too)

Have been pondering my navel too... not sure at the moment... one of 3 things methinks...

1) full-time biomed/science job
2) p-time job in healthcare/voluntary work and maybe do highers/a-levels to re-apply next year (Dundee said mine were an issue c.f. to other grads). Not sure if they would accept them though as would be resits although originals were 22 years ago
3) apply for a PhD

Before I applied, I said I would give it 2 tries so probably go with 2) above
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sweetchilli
Have been pondering my navel too... not sure at the moment... one of 3 things methinks...

1) full-time biomed/science job
2) p-time job in healthcare/voluntary work and maybe do highers/a-levels to re-apply next year (Dundee said mine were an issue c.f. to other grads). Not sure if they would accept them though as would be resits although originals were 22 years ago
3) apply for a PhD

Before I applied, I said I would give it 2 tries so probably go with 2) above

I am a resit applicant so yes, they will accept them. :smile:
Original post by Harbour Seal
I am a resit applicant so yes, they will accept them. :smile:

Thanks...:smile:
Original post by AuldYin
So,

I'm gonna keep working as a pharmacist, do some voluntary work and re-apply next year if I dont get accepted anywhere this year - just received my 1st rejection from edinburgh, fingers crossed for the other 3 :no:
Reply 1228
Blow up all 4 medical schools then suicide
Original post by dmz
Blow up all 4 medical schools then suicide

:colone:
Do you ever think we want this far too much?
Reply 1231
Do you ever think we want this far too much?

I seriously want nothing else, i officially cannot be happy with whatever else i do, been thinking about careers since primary two and there's nothing that can make me happy otherwise, so pretty much thrown my own mentality into it now, if i don't make it, just gonna do everything to be rich if i'm not gonna be happy.

It's weird as well because other than the job security it's not that much money for a very long time, we're subjected to abuse and many other things as well as this horrible process, The sanity of doctors/applicants has to be questioned :tongue:
Original post by dmz
I seriously want nothing else, i officially cannot be happy with whatever else i do, been thinking about careers since primary two and there's nothing that can make me happy otherwise, so pretty much thrown my own mentality into it now, if i don't make it, just gonna do everything to be rich if i'm not gonna be happy.

It's weird as well because other than the job security it's not that much money for a very long time, we're subjected to abuse and many other things as well as this horrible process, The sanity of doctors/applicants has to be questioned :tongue:

Yeah, everyone I meet thinks I am INSANE (in block capitals). It's taken me ages to realise that I could be good enough.

Finding it really hard to keep my motivation up at college though :frown:
Reply 1233
See I know Medics work long hours but I've been in the lab since 9 this morning and am still here now (though I did disappear for a couple of hours to have dinner and walk the dogs). If I'm gonna work this hard I at least want to do it on doctors salary and for the sake of helping people rather than trying to get this pointless assay to work!
I don't want to end up in Starbucks for the rest of my life.
Reply 1235
Yeah, everyone I meet thinks I am INSANE (in block capitals). It's taken me ages to realise that I could be good enough.

Finding it really hard to keep my motivation up at college though :frown:

Not to be arrogant, but i was like the best for a long time till like high school, and i was like kinda raised to believe i can do anything but i never thought the competition was so immense cos most medics wannabe up to this point are people that usually get to the next level effortless and it was a really stupid attitude cos i messed everything up and had to recover it all in A2,

If you managed the interview you're more than good enough, a lot of people who didn't manage the interview also, it has a lot more to do with you as a person and being able to handle workload, i don't think you need to be awfully smart tbh,
Reply 1236
I don't want to end up in Starbucks for the rest of my life.

That's quite a contrast, you really wont
Original post by dmz
That's quite a contrast, you really wont

Nah, you don't know how easy it is... I have worked in jobs like this since I was 16, and it's all so safe and comfortable when it was only meant to be a temporary measure whilst I sorted my life out. Then I was speaking to a supervisor one night - he said that his Starbucks job was only temporary. He had been there about 5 years.

The next day I phoned up a college to find out about applying for highers.
Reply 1238
Nah, you don't know how easy it is... I have worked in jobs like this since I was 16, and it's all so safe and comfortable when it was only meant to be a temporary measure whilst I sorted my life out. Then I was speaking to a supervisor one night - he said that his Starbucks job was only temporary. He had been there about 5 years.

The next day I phoned up a college to find out about applying for highers.

:zomg:

But if you have the potential to be a doctor
(Hopefully we all get in Glasgow), but if we don't, you can pretty much do just about anything, i get that everything's harder with a daughter, but it's like 3 years of what you can do between doing domestic jobs and getting like something tripled with a lot more convenience but I really hope we get in Glasgow :please:
Original post by dmz
:zomg:

But if you have the potential to be a doctor
(Hopefully we all get in Glasgow), but if we don't, you can pretty much do just about anything, i get that everything's harder with a daughter, but it's like 3 years of what you can do between doing domestic jobs and getting like something tripled with a lot more convenience but I really hope we get in Glasgow :please:

:smile: Thanks, but I can't do anything, I am nowhere near smart enough or driven and motivated enough for anything right now.

Except medicine. I really want this. PLEASE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending