The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3660
Original post by Bethany
hey haha sorry if i was not specific. im an international student so i took the A levels. I have offers from Bristol and Notts but got rejected by UCL and KCL so i was wondering if in the event that my actual grades (which are coming out tomorrow!) were really good, could i email UCL/KCL to ask them to reconsider my application. would it affect my UCAS application in any way? Would this be considered as Adjustment?

these universities dont officially participate in the adjustment system (knowing from personal experience) just because of the amount of applicants they have
Course : LLB LAW (M100)
Offers : Queen Mary - AAA
Warwick - AAB
Edinburgh - BBB

Gonna firm Warwick :smile:
Original post by rob1992

Original post by rob1992
Yeah it was conditional for ABB...I'm still waiting for some unis so I know how you feel. Maybe you should email/call them and ask them what stage your application is at??

yep i shoud probably ask them....thanks :smile: i'll wait until results day....waiting for these offers feels horrendous!! :s-smilie:
Reply 3663
Original post by Bethany
Warwick is 3rd for Law? I thought it was 9th! Or have i been looking at the wrong table?? Could somebody tell me where to look ahahha (:

I assume he means the overall table.

The Law table for the Guardian is literally insane.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-law

Look at that. QMUL is third (a good uni undeniably, but not third) Durham is 22nd (this is where I stepped off the train) and Manchester joint 31st.
Those 3 unis are arguably, top 10, certainly top 15.

For a table generally good (in my opinion anyway,) check out the complete university guide table for Law.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

Still not perfect(Warwick and Manchester...) but it gets the big things right, notably, at the very top.
(edited 13 years ago)
Offer from bristol - aaa

i am a home student
Original post by Mann18
:rofl:

You should have said "The Guardian league table (for Law at least) looks like it was written by two llamas high on paint thinner."

:laugh:

That's the one that put QM 6th, right? I'm pretty sure that it's also the one that put Lancaster 6th on the general tables.

They must have been smoking some seriously strong wacky-baccy!

Still, it's a perfect example of why league tables shouldn't be obsessed over.

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, QM 3rd for Law?! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Doughnuts!!

That's the one that put QM 6th, right? I'm pretty sure that it's also the one that put Lancaster 6th on the general tables.

EDIT: LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, QM 3rd for Law?! I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life!

I think it places Reading in the 30s, the complete uni guide places it in the.. mid 20s I think, and in the times I think Reading is 14th? (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

crazy.

I love reading. :biggrin:

EDIT: Why is this negged? Did the said negger get rejected from Reading eh? :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3667
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Agreed, for posterity, someone should create a thread with that listing, and just have in massive writing "THIS IS WHY WE DON'T GO SOLELY ON THESE."

Lancaster is a good uni I think, but not top 10, at least not yet anyway.

Original post by teaandcoffee
I think it places Reading in the 30s, the complete uni guide places it in the.. mid 20s I think, and in the times I think Reading is 14th? (correct me if I'm wrong anyone)

crazy.

I quite like Reading.
Reply 3668

crazy.

Would you mind highlighting why you love reading?

It's my insurance, but i have some getup where i really really don't want to end up there. Probably because it means failure, but also because it looks fairly dismal and SU was a bit of a let down.
Original post by Bethany
hey haha sorry if i was not specific. im an international student so i took the A levels. I have offers from Bristol and Notts but got rejected by UCL and KCL so i was wondering if in the event that my actual grades (which are coming out tomorrow!) were really good, could i email UCL/KCL to ask them to reconsider my application. would it affect my UCAS application in any way? Would this be considered as Adjustment?

Hehe it's ok! So are your final A-level results coming out tomorrow, or just your january modules? Either way, the adjustment period is only open after summer results day, in August, so you'd have to wait until then to do it officially, and again it would only be open to you if your final grades were higher than your firmed offer. You can email the universities if you want, but it wouldn't be officially, and (Especially UCL & KCL) I'd say your chances are VERY slim indeed - I mean they often don't go on results anyway, because a lot of applicants are predicted AAA and above, so then they'd take those applications and look more closely. But if you did contact them it wouldn't harm your application in any way, I'm just saying it's probably really unlikely they'd change anything, but maybe worth a shot.
Original post by Krydel
Would you mind highlighting why you love reading?

It's my insurance, but i have some getup where i really really don't want to end up there. Probably because it means failure, but also because it looks fairly dismal and SU was a bit of a let down.

- Lovely location
- Lovely law school (very pretty, aww)
- Nice lecturers (the ones I met, anyways!)
- Near to London
- Near to Birmingham
- Near to Oxford
- Near to home
- Good, well rounded law school.
- Nice campus.
- SU was one of the nicest I have seen (could do with a nice paint, but nice nonetheless).
- It is my firm choice due to my first choice (Birmingham) rejecting me this year.
- Nice, new accommodation with DOUBLE BEDS :biggrin:

AND, there is a nice UoR Applicants Page on facebook, and I love every single person on there. They're all lovely. :smile:
I don't think Reading looks dismal. I've seen worse Unis :tongue:
ALSO, tbh I don't think many people LIKE their insurance choices (except people like Doughnuts who has Notts as their insurance, lucky git)! Don't worry, I don't really like the sound of my insurance (Hull). I could have applied to higher up universities, but I just didn't want to :smile:

EDIT: sorry! that turned out to be a long list :wink: but don't be hatin' on Reading :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mann18

I quite like Reading.

Yay :biggrin:
Original post by Mann18
I assume he means the overall table.

The Law table for the Guardian is literally insane.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2010/jun/04/university-guide-law

Look at that. QMUL is third (a good uni undeniably, but not third) Durham is 22nd (this is where I stepped off the train) and Manchester joint 31st.
Those 3 unis are arguably, top 10, certainly top 15.

For a table generally good (in my opinion anyway,) check out the complete university guide table for Law.
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

Still not perfect(Warwick and Manchester...) but it gets the big things right, notably, at the very top.

I tend to prefer the Times, but they again have QMUL really really high and some other weird things...my main problem with them is that NONE of the league tables seperate out English and Scottish law! I mean it makes a huge difference; a law degree from Edinburgh isn't a qualifying law degree in England & Wales no matter how good the university is. You study an entirely different legal system, and for the purposes of professional training it's treated as another subject - you still have to complete most if not all of the GDL/CPE units before going onto an LPC or BPTC. Therefore it would make much more sense if they seperated out the legal systems in the table - it makes a big difference, and it's not hugely convenient to have to go through my Times guide and cross out all the Scottish ones and re-rank the English ones accordingly...how many people will be applying for both Scottish & English courses?
Reply 3673
- Lovely location
- Lovely law school (very pretty, aww)
- Nice lecturers (the ones I met, anyways!)
- Near to London
- Near to Birmingham
- Near to Oxford
- Near to home
- Good, well rounded law school.
- Nice campus.
- SU was one of the nicest I have seen (could do with a nice paint, but nice nonetheless).
- It is my firm choice due to my first choice (Birmingham) rejecting me this year.
- Nice, new accommodation with DOUBLE BEDS :biggrin:

AND, there is a nice UoR Applicants Page on facebook, and I love every single person on there. They're all lovely. :smile:
I don't think Reading looks dismal. I've seen worse Unis :tongue:
ALSO, tbh I don't think many people LIKE their insurance choices (except people like Doughnuts who has Notts as their insurance, lucky git)! Don't worry, I don't really like the sound of my insurance (Hull). I could have applied to higher up universities, but I just didn't want to :smile:

EDIT: sorry! that turned out to be a long list :wink: but don't be hatin' on Reading :wink:

Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

All are valid, apart from near to home at least haha.

Might just see you there yet :wink:
Original post by Krydel
Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

All are valid, apart from near to home at least haha.

Might just see you there yet :wink:

Aww, well I hope you get into your firm choice!!! Where is it? (I think I have asked you this before)
Reply 3675
Aww, well I hope you get into your firm choice!!! Where is it? (I think I have asked you this before)

Warwick! :smile:
Queen Mary, York or Leeds?

Which one should be my firm? Help :frown: :frown:
Reply 3677
Got declined from Bristol , i give up! It really knocks your confidence.
Waiting on Warwick now but not holding much hope to be honest. Anyone else waiting for Warwick xx
Reply 3678
Original post by Vinchenko
I tend to prefer the Times, but they again have QMUL really really high and some other weird things...my main problem with them is that NONE of the league tables seperate out English and Scottish law! I mean it makes a huge difference; a law degree from Edinburgh isn't a qualifying law degree in England & Wales no matter how good the university is. You study an entirely different legal system, and for the purposes of professional training it's treated as another subject - you still have to complete most if not all of the GDL/CPE units before going onto an LPC or BPTC. Therefore it would make much more sense if they seperated out the legal systems in the table - it makes a big difference, and it's not hugely convenient to have to go through my Times guide and cross out all the Scottish ones and re-rank the English ones accordingly...how many people will be applying for both Scottish & English courses?

Completely agree with the point about Scottish Law (unfortunately, I haven't seen the Times' list, I'm not paying to see whatever nuggets of gold they have, so I can't definitively say I agree with the Times.)

I'd say the majority of people applying for both Scots and English Law will be people who didn't know there was even a difference. I'd advocate the separation of the two also, the only issue I can think of is that the Scots Law list would be quite short in comparison to the English Law list, but that's not a good reason not to do it (they separate Veterinary Medicine from Medicine after all, similar issue there.)
Reply 3679
Original post by h.marie-xo
Queen Mary, York or Leeds?

Which one should be my firm? Help :frown: :frown:

Depends really.

Personally, I'd go to York (you know I like York.)

But most people will say QMUL, as it has a more prestigious law department than York's, but if you want to be a solicitor, I'd say maybe York has the edge, the entire course prepares you for practicing (if you so choose.) Leeds is probably the wild card here, good if you're from the North and want a more "clubby" lifestyle, but don't want to live in London, and, is a really good university on the whole.

But then again, the collegiate system, and this:

How beautiful is that?
I don't think there's much difference between them though, choose where you'd rather live I'd say.
(edited 13 years ago)