The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3680
Original post by Bethany
hey haha sorry if i was not specific. im an international student so i took the A levels. I have offers from Bristol and Notts but got rejected by UCL and KCL so i was wondering if in the event that my actual grades (which are coming out tomorrow!) were really good, could i email UCL/KCL to ask them to reconsider my application. would it affect my UCAS application in any way? Would this be considered as Adjustment?

To be frank, the chances of those universities being in Adjustment next year is close to 0. The best uni for Law in Adjustment last year was Lancaster (pretty good right?) but Manchester took my details in case they had an opening (either they didn't, or they didn't want me.)

You can phone and ask law departments if they'd take you (if they're in Clearing, which is the "official" pool of Adjustment universities) and it won't affect your application, but before you can accept an offer from one, you have to reject all your other options.

Bottom line, best to go to Notts/Bristol, basically, pretty on par with UCL/KCL.
Original post by clarj018
Got declined from Bristol , i give up! It really knocks your confidence.
Waiting on Warwick now but not holding much hope to be honest. Anyone else waiting for Warwick xx

meeee :smile: my application got processed on the 12th of Novermber, yours?
Original post by Mann18
Completely agree with the point about Scottish Law (unfortunately, I haven't seen the Times' list, I'm not paying to see whatever nuggets of gold they have, so I can't definitively say I agree with the Times.)

I'd say the majority of people applying for both Scots and English Law will be people who didn't know there was even a difference. I'd advocate the separation of the two also, the only issue I can think of is that the Scots Law list would be quite short in comparison to the English Law list, but that's not a good reason not to do it (they separate Veterinary Medicine from Medicine after all, similar issue there.)

Oh it's really not worth paying for online! Out of all the ones I've looked at, I prefer their league tables overall. Though if you have to research and then judge wildly different league tables, you could argue there's no point in having them...I did have the book, so would have been able to check, but gave it away to a friend in yr12 last week.

I think you're quite right about the people applying to both Scots & English law courses, unless you do your research properly you wouldn't know. It's actually such a shame they're seperate, I'd have loved to have gone to St Andrew's or Edinburgh! Though with the latter all the anti-english discrimination probably means I wouldn't have got in anyway....
Reply 3683
xsexygalx, mine was processed on the 8th...its driving me insane!!!!
what are you GCSE/A level/LNAT results ?xx
Original post by xsexygyalx
meeee :smile: my application got processed on the 12th of Novermber, yours?

waiting on warwick as well.

application processed December 27th.
Reply 3685
iNtelli-vision - what was your GCSE, A level, LNAT results then? Trying to establish whether were all on standby for a rejection or an offer. xx
Original post by Krydel
Would you mind highlighting why you love reading?

It's my insurance, but i have some getup where i really really don't want to end up there. Probably because it means failure, but also because it looks fairly dismal and SU was a bit of a let down.

Same for me. I've got it as my insurance, but I didnt really want to go there. :smile:

Thanks teaandcoffee for providing some pro's to reading, looks like I feel a bit better about using it instead of Southhampton.:biggrin:
Reply 3687
hi there, can anyone give me an overall picture of sussex university? does it have a good reputation? will recieving a good degree from this uni put me in good stead for a job at a top law firm?... i never see any discussion about sussex on any of the forums, which makes me wonder about its reputation?
xsexygalx, mine was processed on the 8th...its driving me insane!!!!
what are you GCSE/A level/LNAT results ?xx

GCSE: 3A* 9 A
AS: AAAAB
A2 Predictions: AAAA
Already Have an A in A2 Chinese :smile:
Reply 3689
I got 3A*, 9A, 2B's.
Then 3A's and 2C's at AS level.
Predicted AAA (college havent predicted anyone A*'s :/)/

I dont see how you dont get in, your results are fab!!
People have been accepted ages before us with AABB at AS, doesnt make sense xx
Reply 3690
iNtelli-vision - what was your GCSE, A level, LNAT results then? Trying to establish whether were all on standby for a rejection or an offer. xx

Intruder here and I might be in trouble for saying this but I've got a daughter still not heard from Warwick or UCL, Ucas processed 14th Sept, 11 A*'s, 5 A's at AS, predicted 3 A*'s, LNAT 30.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3691
Has anyone been given an offer recently to Bristol or has it mostly been rejections?
Reply 3692
Original post by MPtoo
Intruder here and I might be in trouble for saying this but I've got a daughter still not heard from Warwick or UCL, Ucas processed 14th Sept, 11 A*'s, 5 A's at AS, predicted 3 A*'s, LNAT 30.

Those results are amazing! And i cant see any reason how she won't get in (provided her personal statement was pretty strong which i'm guessing it is).

As i said earlier, I know people with AABB at AS level who have been offered a place a while ago, so i see no reason for her not to get in. (Although the whole selection process currently seems totally random).

Good luck and keep me updated x
Reply 3693
Sorry if this has already been discussed but how highly ranked is Newcastle for Law?
Just got an offer from Bristol!!

Predicted: AAA
Offer: AAB
LNAT score: 18

Sent: Oct 27th
Offer: 3rd March

I'm a Home student! :smile:
Reply 3695
Original post by bobfreymoo1811
Just got an offer from Bristol!!

Predicted: AAA
Offer: AAB
LNAT score: 18

Sent: Oct 27th
Offer: 3rd March

I'm a Home student! :smile:

yaaaay congratulations!
Reply 3696
Which one puts me in better stead for the Bar? Warwick or Nottingham?
Reply 3697
Original post by kay-em

Original post by kay-em
hi there, can anyone give me an overall picture of sussex university? does it have a good reputation? will recieving a good degree from this uni put me in good stead for a job at a top law firm?... i never see any discussion about sussex on any of the forums, which makes me wonder about its reputation?

Sussex is not a bad uni at all, I applied there as my insurance. The campus is really nice and the professors that I met all seemed great. It's climbing up the League Tables. I can't really say about job prospects, but there are definitely other universities (UCL, LSE etc.) with a better track record for Magic Circle Firms.
Reply 3698
Got an offer from Bristol at last!!! AAA! so happy!
Original post by kay-em

Sussex's law department does seem quite good, I have a friend doing law there. Personally I can't stand the campus.

This has been asked before, but Warwick or Bristol?

I'm thinking of just withdrawing from Warwick. Is it worth getting the extra reference they want and then waiting some more?
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending