The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by Eddie91
If you can't convince applicants who are in the same position as you, hence more understanding of your reasoning etc. What makes you think you will be able to convince the interviewers? :/

Exactly!!!
And considering half the interview talk is about the course :/
Reply 1261
Original post by josephpk
total sense....i know they do a full body dissection which will be fasinating and also studying in two colleges will gie me great experience...i'm an avid golfer which also is a contributing golfer..if your saying thati'm not committed enough that is not through at all

Lol. Tbh, I think you should have applied for an English course :rolleyes:
Reply 1262
Did you know you only need BC at Alevel to study at trinity for medicine :0
Original post by ryan118244
Nope. What made you think that?

no idea :tongue: just had it in my head for some reason you were like from manchester or somewhere!
Reply 1264
Exactly!!!
And considering half the interview talk is about the course :/

I think he already left... or... maybe he's still there watching us from the dark:ninja:
Reply 1265
Original post by Eddie91
Lol. Tbh, I think you should have applied for an English course :rolleyes:

hi there! did you have an interview?
Reply 1266
Original post by atomos
no idea :tongue: just had it in my head for some reason you were like from manchester or somewhere!

Haha ok lol

Original post by teafil
I think he already left... or... maybe he's still there watching us from the dark:ninja:

Sorry ... just couldn't stop. I would hate it if I didn't get in and he did ... considering how much effort I put into the interview and how much research I did on the course!!

Original post by teafil

Teafil you do make me laugh!
does anyone know the time period/dates that most of the offers were given out last year? st andrews is my last hope and i want it so much! :frown:
Original post by georgie91
nope i don't, had an interview on the 9th february, how do u feel your interview went?

Erm I think it went alright, but because they were really friendly I can't be sure :tongue: damn ni people! lol I was the last out of my interview, one girl from my group even commented on it, so i'm hoping its a good thing :smile:

Original post by KCosmo
Yeah mines was really friendly aswell! They specifically told me that they weren't going to ask me why I wanted to do medicine, that they knew I wanted to do medicine already! They went straight onto course structure and why st andrews etc.

I've only had one interview at st andrews, not heard back from aberdeen, and rejected from glasgow and dundee.....damn ukcat :tongue: Again I shall reiterate my promise of running round my street naked if I get an offer! I really don't want to take a gap year, especially as I will have to cram the Fcuk out of advanced higher chemistry if I do :tongue: This month shall be the longest of my life no doubt! :biggrin:

EDIT: p.s. quite drunk while writing this, so I apologise if this doesn't make much sense! :smile:

Haha I understood - you're drunk and spending time on TSR? interesting combination lol I was so glad they didn't ask me why as I still have no (verbal) answers lol

High-5 for dundee rejection! I got rejected imediately a few days before christmas, but least it wasn't on Christmas Eve I guess. I've not heard back from Aberdeen either, I really wish they'd hurry up! If they were going to reject us, could they not have done it already by now! Interesting reaction to an offer but hey, its one hell of a way to celebrate. if I have to take a gap year I'll cry because it'll mean doing the UKCAT again :/ Not too long to go though hopefully! :biggrin:
wow this is all getting a little heated on this discussion forum isn't it lol! but yeah you can't base an application to medicine on place alone that would just be silly!!!

Anyone receive offers today at all? This wait is the most nervewracking experience of my life.... :s-smilie:
Reply 1270
Original post by teafil

I did on Wednesday :smile:. Did you?
Reply 1271
wow this is all getting a little heated on this discussion forum isn't it lol! but yeah you can't base an application to medicine on place alone that would just be silly!!!

Anyone receive offers today at all? This wait is the most nervewracking experience of my life.... :s-smilie:

I had a dream during my power nap today that I got an offer ... doesn't really count for much in real life though :/
I had a dream during my power nap today that I got an offer ... doesn't really count for much in real life though :/

it'd be a dream come true!!
Reply 1273
Original post by Eddie91
I did on Wednesday :smile:. Did you?

mine was on a wednesday as well :biggrin: (doh all of them were on wednesday)... 9th of february:smile:

How do you think yours went?

Haha ok lol

Sorry ... just couldn't stop. I would hate it if I didn't get in and he did ... considering how much effort I put into the interview and how much research I did on the course!!

Teafil you do make me laugh!

:d you have no idea how stressed i am. I was studying today for the Bio Olympiad and all i could think of was "I knew this before my interview. why the hell didn't i relate it to the questions? it would have sounded so smart!". Can you believe it it's only been 24 hours since yesterday? :O I felt them more like 24 months :frown:
Reply 1274
Original post by teafil
mine was on a wednesday as well :biggrin: (doh all of them were on wednesday)... 9th of february:smile:

Haha, the wednesday just past 2nd March.

I think it went ok, but there was a tonne of stuff I wish I mentioned.
Reply 1275
it'd be a dream come true!!

Damm right!!

Original post by teafil

:d you have no idea how stressed i am. I was studying today for the Bio Olympiad and all i could think of was "I knew this before my interview. why the hell didn't i relate it to the questions? it would have sounded so smart!". Can you believe it it's only been 24 hours since yesterday? :O I felt them more like 24 months :frown:

Haha bless. I think everyone does that, I keep doing it as well.
Just hang in, I really wish I had the cat poster for that!
Reply 1276
Original post by Quackers93

Haha I understood - you're drunk and spending time on TSR? interesting combination lol I was so glad they didn't ask me why as I still have no (verbal) answers lol

High-5 for dundee rejection! I got rejected imediately a few days before christmas, but least it wasn't on Christmas Eve I guess. I've not heard back from Aberdeen either, I really wish they'd hurry up! If they were going to reject us, could they not have done it already by now! Interesting reaction to an offer but hey, its one hell of a way to celebrate. if I have to take a gap year I'll cry because it'll mean doing the UKCAT again :/ Not too long to go though hopefully! :biggrin:

Haha, strange, I know! I had just got back in from a friends house, and had a wee shot on this before bed :tongue:

Yeah, having to do the UKCAT would be a nightmare! I'd prepare for it soo much more than I did this time around, especially as Dundee sent me a letter about my rejection saying that it was the only reason I didn't get interviewed :frown: But hopefully neither of us won't be in that position! :smile:

Obviously I'm biased, but I would like them to not use the UKCAT test for admissions. I understand that there is so little between so many candidates, but they should just use a different test! The BMAT sounds a lot better, having to rely on your knowledge of science would give a much better indication of how likely a person is to get through the medicine course, rather than an arbitrary IQ test. Come on, what's more likely to help a patient, a sound knowledge of human biology or noticing that if you count up all the shaded shapes inside the trapezium, all of the sides add up to 15 :tongue: But again, completely biased here :biggrin:
Original post by KCosmo
Come on, what's more likely to help a patient, a sound knowledge of human biology or noticing that if you count up all the shaded shapes inside the trapezium, all of the sides add up to 15.

The point is that you could always learn the human body (hell, you get 6 years of a medicine course to learn that!) whereas you wouldn't necessarily be able to "learn" to count up all the shaded shapes inside a trapezium, in the first place i.e. you wouldn't have thought of it.
Reply 1278
Original post by KCosmo
Haha, strange, I know! I had just got back in from a friends house, and had a wee shot on this before bed :tongue:

Yeah, having to do the UKCAT would be a nightmare! I'd prepare for it soo much more than I did this time around, especially as Dundee sent me a letter about my rejection saying that it was the only reason I didn't get interviewed :frown: But hopefully neither of us won't be in that position! :smile:

Obviously I'm biased, but I would like them to not use the UKCAT test for admissions. I understand that there is so little between so many candidates, but they should just use a different test! The BMAT sounds a lot better, having to rely on your knowledge of science would give a much better indication of how likely a person is to get through the medicine course, rather than an arbitrary IQ test. Come on, what's more likely to help a patient, a sound knowledge of human biology or noticing that if you count up all the shaded shapes inside the trapezium, all of the sides add up to 15 :tongue: But again, completely biased here :biggrin:

The BMAT actually has an IQ test for the first section.
Although I agree with the scientific knowledge bit, they take it a bit far because the science section has masses of maths and physics in it which in my opinion have no relation to medicine. I think the essay bit is good though!
I could have never managed the BMAT :/
Reply 1279
Original post by spacepirate-James
The point is that you could always learn the human body (hell, you get 6 years of a medicine course to learn that!) whereas you wouldn't necessarily be able to "learn" to count up all the shaded shapes inside a trapezium, in the first place i.e. you wouldn't have thought of it.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that :smile: Although I think people have started to do so many past questions for the UKCAT that it's almost like in the school exams, where it's all about knowing the kind of questions that come up and just getting good at those. But I suppose the BMAT would have the same problem :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending