The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Also got an offer from LSE today.. :smile:
I have one from Cambridge too though, so will probably accept that.. not sure yet though! I don't know which to choose! But I think life at Cambridge would be better than in London, not to mention cheaper :smile:

(sorry for whatever I did to get a negative rating, I am new to this so I don't know the rules!_)
(edited 13 years ago)
Just been rejected from Bath :frown: which was not that surprising after all the wait...
Anyway, this leaves me with a choice between Bussiness Econ at Durham, Econ+Econometrics+Fin at York and Business, Economics and Finance at Loughborough.
Firstly, I really don't think I can fit well with Durham and don't like it much. That makes me lean towards York as it's a reputable uni and the course is great i.e. quantative, different interesting optionals etc.
What do you guys think?
Original post by winter_fairy
Just been rejected from Bath :frown: which was not that surprising after all the wait...
Anyway, this leaves me with a choice between Bussiness Econ at Durham, Econ+Econometrics+Fin at York and Business, Economics and Finance at Loughborough.
Firstly, I really don't think I can fit well with Durham and don't like it much. That makes me lean towards York as it's a reputable uni and the course is great i.e. quantative, different interesting optionals etc.
What do you guys think?

what were your grades if you dont mind me asking?
Well i would definitely suggest going somewhere you would actually like, no point being miserable for 3 years. i would definitely choose york over loughborough, but isnt york quite similar to durham? as its collegiate, and rather quiet etc... maybe im wrong but have you visited them all yet?
Original post by joebarron
what were your grades if you dont mind me asking?
Well i would definitely suggest going somewhere you would actually like, no point being miserable for 3 years. i would definitely choose york over loughborough, but isnt york quite similar to durham? as its collegiate, and rather quiet etc... maybe im wrong but have you visited them all yet?

Well i'm EU, not a UK student so don't know whether grades would be relevant. Anyway, I got 6.0 (max possible) in all 14 subjects in National Diploma and also studied CIE Economics A Level in Year 12, got an A. Currently in gap year.

I haven't been to any of them really, but York appeals to me more as a city - it looks beautiful, it's bigger too. Plus the course seems more quantitive esp with the Econometrics part, and there are some nice corporate finance modules for Year 2 and 3 which I think are not quite featured at Durham. And I think Durham and York are similar in terms of reputation, no big difference so I think it would be best to choose what I like more.

Thanks for your response :top:
(edited 13 years ago)
Course: Bsc Economics
Institution: LSE
Offer: A* (maths) AA

So excited, can't wait to go!
Original post by charliehall
sorry to be nosy but how are you finding the decision between manchester and southampton?

Lol I wouldn't of posted anythink about it if I didn't want to discuss it, but i've decided to go for manchester above of southampton for 3 main reason
1.) 8000 word dissatation worth 1/6 of the degree is very unaatractive
2.) Manchester has more global recognition
3.) Manchester is more quantative and seeing as i do fmath and got A* in maths i think would be the best option (Maths in manchester way better than southampton).
Reply 2026
Original post by Scottishsiv
Course: Bsc Economics
Institution: LSE
Offer: A* (maths) AA

So excited, can't wait to go!

Congratulations! :smile:

Do you mind me asking what your GCSE's and A-levels are like?
Reply 2027
Original post by Pixie93x
Also got an offer from LSE today.. :smile:
I have one from Cambridge too though, so will probably accept that.. not sure yet though! I don't know which to choose! But I think life at Cambridge would be better than in London, not to mention cheaper :smile:

Well done! I'd probably choose Cambridge too, but personally I think student life would be better in London... Mind me asking what your GCSE's and A-levels are like? :smile:
Reply 2028
Original post by Simon_Sbk
Lol I wouldn't of posted anythink about it if I didn't want to discuss it, but i've decided to go for manchester above of southampton for 3 main reason
1.) 8000 word dissatation worth 1/6 of the degree is very unaatractive
2.) Manchester has more global recognition
3.) Manchester is more quantative and seeing as i do fmath and got A* in maths i think would be the best option (Maths in manchester way better than southampton).

I wish I'd known about the dissatation before applying to soton, although don't you have to do that in almost all good uni's.
Original post by Firaila
Thank you sir and good luck with your application

see you at ucl! (unless you don't firm it.)
Reply 2030
Original post by mintmocha
see you at ucl! (unless you don't firm it.)

And if I make the grades :zomg:
Are you l101 too?
Reply 2031
Original post by tateco
Well done! I'd probably choose Cambridge too, but personally I think student life would be better in London... Mind me asking what your GCSE's and A-levels are like? :smile:

No it's fine :smile: erm I got nine A stars in my GCSEs and then 6 A's at AS level. Predicted 4 A stars at A2.. (only because my 6th form gives them out to anyone who got an A though, I will be very pleased if I get one!) :smile:
I've just received offers from both LSE (L101) and UCL (L101).. Now I'm really torn between decisions!...

One year at either Columbia or Chicago is amazing!... But LSE is synonymous with reputation in the field...

Is anyone here facing the same dilemma? :frown:...
Reply 2033
Original post by Hoang_Nguyen
I've just received offers from both LSE (L101) and UCL (L101).. Now I'm really torn between decisions!...

One year at either Columbia or Chicago is amazing!... But LSE is synonymous with reputation in the field...

Is anyone here facing the same dilemma? :frown:...

In my opinion I'd go for UCL, the international programme looks amazing; I certainly hope I'm in your position this time next year!
Reply 2034
Heya everyone I am new to the forums although I have read alot. I am a Bulgarian applicant and I am torn due to a choice I have to make. I have the following offers

1) University of Warwick - Management
2) Lancaster University - Business Economics
3) Durham University - Business Finance
4) University of Exeter - Business Economics with year in the industry
and I am still waiting for Edinburgh - MA Business studies and Economics.

My choice for now is betweed Warwick and Lancaster. The requirements for the courses are involving Bulgarian diploma za sredno obrazovanie so you probably won`t be familiar with it but I will try to explain. I am already in Lancaster, Durham and Exeter if I don`t fail my maturity exams big time but I don`t believe thats possible to be so bad at them. However, Warwick has a very strict offer for me. In my country we have to take 1 maturity exam in Bulgarian language and literature which is compulsory and 1 elective in a chosen subject. Warwick on the other hand, requires an extra exam so for me I will have to take Bulgarian language literature, Mathematics and English language with specific grades on the Maths and English exams which are a bit tough to acheive but I thing I have high chance ti succeed.

My question is which do u thing is better for me ( career prospects, living, social life, etc.). I like Lancaster it has somekind of a hidden charm and the programme is well structured for me. Warwick, on the other hand, is well-known with great reputation, however I want to study a bit more economics cause Management is a bit too big area of studies. In addtion to the pros, Warwick is in a bigger city so I can get a part-time.

Do u think Lancaster can provide me with good career prospects in a big city- London, Manchester, Birmingham?

10x in addvance looking forward to your replies
What do you guys think?

I think you should consider Durham... its a great uni and I regret not applying there :frown: What are your offers for Durham and York?
(edited 13 years ago)
Well i'm EU, not a UK student so don't know whether grades would be relevant. Anyway, I got 6.0 (max possible) in all 14 subjects in National Diploma and also studied CIE Economics A Level in Year 12, got an A. Currently in gap year.

Do you mind me asking, what are you doing in your gap year?
Original post by tateco
Congratulations! :smile:

Do you mind me asking what your GCSE's and A-levels are like?

Thanks!
I got 5 A* and 8As at GCSE and my AS was 3 As and 2 Bs, predicted to have 2A*s and 2As at the end of A level. :biggrin:
Reply 2038
Thanks!
I got 5 A* and 8As at GCSE and my AS was 3 As and 2 Bs, predicted to have 2A*s and 2As at the end of A level. :biggrin:

Oh wow well done, that's reassuring because I 'only' have 5 A*'s at GCSE and thought it would really hold me back from LSE. Did you do Further Maths at A-level?
Reply 2039
Thanks!

Are you a home student? if you are you've given us all hope :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending