The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dobbys sock
That was one of the worst things that they added to the films. Seriously. What was the point?! It still makes me really angry! My problem with that was they'd added something pointless and to make way for it they cut loads of important stuff.

I think some of the reason was to add "action" and show that "no place" was "safe". I personally think it was a waste of time. They just rebuilt The Burrow with magic anyway.
That was one of the worst things that they added to the films. Seriously. What was the point?! It still makes me really angry! My problem with that was they'd added something pointless and to make way for it they cut loads of important stuff.

And my worry is that in introducing the new Neville scene they'll cut Snape's memories/the bit when Harry talks to Dumbledore etc. Also I'm already confused enough as to how they are gonna explain a whole lotta stuff...the mirror seems from Part 1 to be more linked to SNAPE than to Aberforth (the doe and all that) so that'll be intriguing...plus Harry never saw the diadem in HPatHBP in the Room of Requirement so will he just happen to think about the RoR? HMMMMMMM
Original post by greeneyedgirl
And my worry is that in introducing the new Neville scene they'll cut Snape's memories/the bit when Harry talks to Dumbledore etc. Also I'm already confused enough as to how they are gonna explain a whole lotta stuff...the mirror seems from Part 1 to be more linked to SNAPE than to Aberforth (the doe and all that) so that'll be intriguing...plus Harry never saw the diadem in HPatHBP in the Room of Requirement so will he just happen to think about the RoR? HMMMMMMM

I've heard Ginny will show Harry the diadem. And that she noticed it when she hid the "Half Blood Prince's book" . Not really sure, but it was a rumour. Or maybe Luna. I'm a little confused here as well.

They have cast people for Snape's memories (The Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter in the book). But Yates and flashbacks do not go well together. I'm not expecting much.

Not to talk about Remus, and how they've screwed him over since Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm desperately and naively hoping for some Lupin screen time at Shell Cottage:frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't mind new scenes if it's battle stuff and as long as it doesn't take away from things that did happen in the books.

I thought the Hedwig flying to save Harry scene was well done in Part 1. It was something which made you feel more for Hedwig than having her die locked in her cage.

Original post by Luceria
x

I love your HP related sigs. :wizard:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I thought the Hedwig flying to save Harry scene was well done in Part 1. It was something which made you feel more for Hedwig than having her die locked in her cage.

I love your HP related sigs. :wizard:

Yes. Poor Hedwig:frown:

And thank you :awesome:
Wait, what? How did you come to that conclusion about the mirror being linked to Snape?

I've seen it three times and I fail to see how the mirror is connected to Snape. We obviously see Aberforths eye in The Malfoy's dungeon etc.
Original post by Luceria
I've heard Ginny will show Harry the diadem. And that she noticed it when she hid the "Half Blood Prince's book" . Not really sure, but it was a rumour. Or maybe Luna. I'm a little confused here as well.

They have cast people for Snape's memories (The Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter in the book). But Yates and flashbacks do not go well together. I'm not expecting much.

Not to talk about Remus, and how they've screwed him over since Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm desperately and naively hoping for some Lupin screen time at Shell Cottage:frown:

The Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter as well, and if they screw it up, there will be one angry person in the cinema.

I doubt there will be Lupus time, maybe a brief mention from Bill that he's had a baby, but I bet we will spend maybe 5 mins max at Shell Cottage because who would want to watch a film where there is plot development and planning when they could watch a film which cuts straight to them breaking into Gringotts... GRRRR SILLY DIRECTORS FOCUSING ON ACTION WHEN THE BOOK IS NOT PRIMARILY FOCUSED ON ACTION!

And Ape, my "who quoted me" says you did...but you have since deleted your post, this makes me sad!

Original post by Luceria
I've seen it three times and I fail to see how the mirror is connected to Snape. We obviously see Aberforths eye in The Malfoy's dungeon etc.

Yes, but Hermione did not take the portrait from number 12...hence for the silver doe to have occurred snape must have MEGA guessing skills on where to find harry or is someway linked to the mirror (after all harry was playing with the mirror when the doe arrived...)
The Prince's Tale is my favourite chapter as well, and if they screw it up, there will be one angry person in the cinema.

I doubt there will be Lupus time, maybe a brief mention from Bill that he's had a baby, but I bet we will spend maybe 5 mins max at Shell Cottage because who would want to watch a film where there is plot development and planning when they could watch a film which cuts straight to them breaking into Gringotts... GRRRR SILLY DIRECTORS FOCUSING ON ACTION WHEN THE BOOK IS NOT PRIMARILY FOCUSED ON ACTION!

And Ape, my "who quoted me" says you did...but you have since deleted your post, this makes me sad!

Yes, but Hermione did not take the portrait from number 12...hence for the silver doe to have occurred snape must have MEGA guessing skills on where to find harry or is someway linked to the mirror (after all harry was playing with the mirror when the doe arrived...)

Indeed.

Yes, you're right about that I guess. Deathly Hallows is more a film for dedicated fans who have read the books, and not the casual fans. I didn't really think about it. In my mind I knew how he had found them.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
Indeed.

Yes, you're right about that I guess. Deathly Hallows is more a film for dedicated fans who have read the books, and not the casual fans. I didn't really think about it. In my mind I knew how he had found them.

They will probably just not explain it. Or be like "Dumbledore broke mirror in two..." considering in tOotP Harry wasn't given the mirror and they haven't explained that, I don't have high hopes.

On the topic of the mirror, one of my friends who isn't a book fanatic assumed the shard of mirror was a shard from the mirror of erised therefore was showing Harry the eye of Dumbledore because that's what he most desired...which I guess backs up your point that the films don't fully work for casual fans!
They will probably just not explain it. Or be like "Dumbledore broke mirror in two..." considering in tOotP Harry wasn't given the mirror and they haven't explained that, I don't have high hopes.

On the topic of the mirror, one of my friends who isn't a book fanatic assumed the shard of mirror was a shard from the mirror of erised therefore was showing Harry the eye of Dumbledore because that's what he most desired...which I guess backs up your point that the films don't fully work for casual fans!

I think, since Harry was playing with the mirror, they might have Aberforth working together with Snape? It's a strange idea. But the only one I can think of. The Mirror of Erised is definitely not involved.

If Harry had used the mirror in Order of the Phoenix, he could have talked with Sirius. And he wouldn't have died. Sucks!

Haha, indeed. The last few films have definitely not been for "casual fans.".. But for the book readers. (which is the way it should be)
(edited 13 years ago)

I see what you mean. I'll be so upset if they cut out a lot of Snape's memories. It's my favourite chapter of the series.

I was watching HBP the other day and I was shouting at the screen when Ginny hid the book because of what happens in DH. I can kind of understand the mirror not being in the OotP film because DH hadn't come out when they filmed it but they could have mentioned it in passing in HBP. "Oh btw Harry, Sirius left you this mirror!"

I hope one day they film a TV show or something, a series per book, so that everything can be put in :smile:

That was one of the changes that I liked in the film. I nearly cried. Poor Hedwig, if only she'd gone straight to the burrow :cry:
Original post by Luceria
I think, since Harry was playing with the mirror, they might have Aberforth working together with Snape? It's a strange idea. But the only one I can think of. The Mirror of Erised is definitely not involved.

If Harry had used the mirror in Order of the Phoenix, he could have talked with Sirius. And he wouldn't have died. Sucks!

Haha, indeed. The last few films have definitely not been for "casual fans.".. But for the book readers. (which is the way it should be)

Yeah but he gets the mirror in OotP whereas he wasn't even given it in the film.

I agree they should be for the book readers...but in saying that they should STICK TO THE BOOKS.

I see what you mean. I'll be so upset if they cut out a lot of Snape's memories. It's my favourite chapter of the series.

I was watching HBP the other day and I was shouting at the screen when Ginny hid the book because of what happens in DH. I can kind of understand the mirror not being in the OotP film because DH hadn't come out when they filmed it but they could have mentioned it in passing in HBP. "Oh btw Harry, Sirius left you this mirror!"

I hope one day they film a TV show or something, a series per book, so that everything can be put in :smile:

Ha ha with my degree I would really like to become a screenwriter, and this is partly because I would kill to make a TV show Harry Potter for the BBC (think about their Austen adaptations, much closer than the films to the originals)...however I doubt this'll ever happen
Yeah but he gets the mirror in OotP whereas he wasn't even given it in the film.

I agree they should be for the book readers...but in saying that they should STICK TO THE BOOKS.

I still reckon they'll say it was from Sirius. Just that he had forgotten about it or something. The Mirror of Erised is long gone.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Luceria
I still reckon they'll say it was from Sirius. Just that he had forgotten about it or something. The Mirror of Erised is long gone.

I wasn't suggesting the mirror of erised should be bought back at all! merely saying that's what some none addict thought the mirror could be! I then explained to her how it was given in book 5 etc. etc.
I wasn't suggesting the mirror of erised should be bought back at all! merely saying that's what some none addict thought the mirror could be! I then explained to her how it was given in book 5 etc. etc.

No, I didn't think you were. Sorry, lol. But yes, anyway.
It will be rather interesting to see how they make all that work.
Original post by Luceria
No, I didn't think you were. Sorry, lol. But yes, anyway.
It will be rather interesting to see how they make all that work.

You mean IF they make it all work :tongue:
You mean IF they make it all work :tongue:

Haha. True.
Original post by Luceria

Why may I ask do you feel the need to bash Twilight in your sig? You know from what i've noticed, a lot of the immaturity comes from the Harry Potter fans because they feel the need to tear the Twilight saga to bits.....do they really feel that threatened.

I fail to see why people continuously feel the need to compare the two when they are both completely different stories.

I may also add that Twilight is also about courage, loyalty, friendship and bravery. I love how the Harry Potter fans deliberately fail to acknowledge this. I myself am a fan of both so I hold no grudge with either, but it pisses me right off when people feel the need to bash the other rather than focus attention on the one they love. I've followed Twilight for years now and i've yet to come across a fan who starts the whole vs debate.

Despite saying all that. I like the stuff in your spoiler sig :yep:
Original post by CookieDoughLove
Why may I ask do you feel the need to bash Twilight in your sig? You know from what i've noticed, a lot of the immaturity comes from the Harry Potter fans because they feel the need to tear the Twilight saga to bits.....do they really feel that threatened.

I fail to see why people continuously feel the need to compare the two when they are both completely different stories.

I may also add that Twilight is also about courage, loyalty, friendship and bravery. I love how the Harry Potter fans deliberately fail to acknowledge this. I myself am a fan of both so I hold no grudge with either, but it pisses me right off when people feel the need to bash the other rather than focus attention on the one they love. I've followed Twilight for years now and i've yet to come across a fan who starts the whole vs debate.

Despite saying all that. I like the stuff in your spoiler sig :yep:

I've come across many.

The reason they are compared is because they are the two hugest phenomena that gripped our generation and also are both about teenagers and some kind of mystical being.

I would also say Twilight is much less about courage, loyalty and bravery than Harry Potter as it's focus is on the relationship between Bella and Edward, and Bella and Jacob. I'm not saying this is wrong, or diminishes the book, just that it is essentially different to Harry Potter.

For me, Harry Potter is a much better book, better written, more captivating and with so many subtle nuances in comparison to Twilight. However I did read Twilight and enjoy it...but wouldn't have it being read to me every night by Stephen Fry while I fall asleep like I do with Harry Potter.

I know it wasn't me you were quoting, but just adding my two cents

Quick Reply

Latest