The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2010-11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
I feel your pain I hate SPSS as well espicially on Ttest and two way annovas!

I feel your pain too! I hate spss and I think my dissertation is probably going to suffer in the results section because of it :frown:
Original post by DeepStar
I feel your pain too! I hate spss and I think my dissertation is probably going to suffer in the results section because of it :frown:

May I ask what is your dissertation? Is there anyone who can help you understand on the results?

Good luck :smile:
May I ask what is your dissertation? Is there anyone who can help you understand on the results?

Good luck :smile:

My dissertation is about people have an ideal body shape which is thinner than their own. I designed a questionnaire asking people about them about this, the kind of methods they have used to achieve this ideal, is their ideal body shape realistic, if the measures have worked, if so - were the outcomes positive (better social life, more confidence etc) or negative (less self esteem, worse social life etc) and then asked if the consequences of trying to achieve this ideal has affected their motivation to continue achieving their ideal.

Not really, which is why I think my dissertation is going to suffer because of it. I missed a lot of 1st and 2nd year university due to being in hospital hence clueless now :frown:
OHHHH my god..how have I only just found this thread lol.

6 months and counting till mine is due in, and I'm struggling to motivate to read or start it...even struggling to stick to a topic. ARGGHH!
My dissertation is about people have an ideal body shape which is thinner than their own. I designed a questionnaire asking people about them about this, the kind of methods they have used to achieve this ideal, is their ideal body shape realistic, if the measures have worked, if so - were the outcomes positive (better social life, more confidence etc) or negative (less self esteem, worse social life etc) and then asked if the consequences of trying to achieve this ideal has affected their motivation to continue achieving their ideal.

Not really, which is why I think my dissertation is going to suffer because of it. I missed a lot of 1st and 2nd year university due to being in hospital hence clueless now :frown:

Then maybe see if you can get a one - on - one session with someone who can help you who is also using stats espicially if you have been ill. I hope your all better now though :smile:

I'm now working through my proposal form and it looks very complicated!!
Then maybe see if you can get a one - on - one session with someone who can help you who is also using stats espicially if you have been ill. I hope your all better now though :smile:

I'm now working through my proposal form and it looks very complicated!!

I tried but apparently it is unfair to give one to one help to one student as others are then at a disadvantage so I dont really know what else to do.

I am better now, thank you :smile:

Mine is due in 2 weeks but this results section is really wasting my time as I cant make progress and without it cant do the discussion or conclusion :confused: Officially screwed :frown:
I'm just doing my final revision, and it's doing my nut in! Thankfully my supervisor said after the first draft that I didn't need to change/add/remove much so hopefully all is well (He also predicted it at a first :banana2: and more or less said he wants me to apply for his PhD if he gets grants by next year. I was like :eek:).
My History dissertation is due at the end of March... and I really haven't done enough for it so far. I don't know why I am such a procrastinator! It's a huge task to do with no structure to the time whatsoever, I feel like I've messed it up by not doing enough... eurgh...
On Friday, I completed my third [and final] substantive chapter. It means I am on 8,000 words with my introduction and conclusion to write.

Putting it aside for a while now though as I have other deadlines before it. Still, it feels good to be getting there. I was panicking so much before I started putting things down on paper. :smile:
I'm on about 5200 words so far and I'm nearly finished with the first draft- just a bit more of the analysis and the conclusion to write. The intro just needs polishing up and expanding in places. I think I'm gonna end up going into the +10% extra though cos there's just so much to say. I've actually really enjoyed writing it.
I tried but apparently it is unfair to give one to one help to one student as others are then at a disadvantage so I dont really know what else to do.

I am better now, thank you :smile:

Mine is due in 2 weeks but this results section is really wasting my time as I cant make progress and without it cant do the discussion or conclusion :confused: Officially screwed :frown:

See if you can buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering-Statistics-Introducing-Statistical-Methods/dp/0761944524/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299511839&sr=8-2

and this also has good reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Statistics-without-Tears-Introduction-Non-Mathematicians/dp/0140136320/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299511970&sr=8-1

Would these help you I know one is huge and expensive but i think its -dont quote me for this book- one a lecturere who is currently doing her pHd and she uses a book either that one or one similar and she said it was a huge to her and was basically a bible. The second is cheaper and has good reviews. Cant speak for either personally but hopefully even just reading though either or a good statistics hopefully you can do some better. Also could any of your friends help you with the begginner statistics just so you understand it?
See if you can buy this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering-Statistics-Introducing-Statistical-Methods/dp/0761944524/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299511839&sr=8-2

and this also has good reviews http://www.amazon.co.uk/Statistics-without-Tears-Introduction-Non-Mathematicians/dp/0140136320/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299511970&sr=8-1

Would these help you I know one is huge and expensive but i think its -dont quote me for this book- one a lecturere who is currently doing her pHd and she uses a book either that one or one similar and she said it was a huge to her and was basically a bible. The second is cheaper and has good reviews. Cant speak for either personally but hopefully even just reading though either or a good statistics hopefully you can do some better. Also could any of your friends help you with the begginner statistics just so you understand it?

Thank for you the links :smile: I doubt I'm going to have enough time to read, fully understand then carry out and finish in 2 weeks but I will buy them for future guidance.

Everyone is busy with their dissertations and summatives so it seems a bit unfair to ask anyone to divert their attention to me :redface:

I have been doing some reading and have spoken to my tutor who has advised me to stick with the simple tests. I now just need to know what to report and how to report them in journal.

Thank you again for your concern :smile:
First full draft due this Friday. It can be done! :dumbells:
i haven't done the conclusion yet and i'm on nearly 13000 words ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!
Original post by affinity89
Currently on 7,350 words. Writing up my third substantive chapter. Still got the conclusion and introduction to do [probably in that order, knowing me].

Just wondering - I know it will differ from place to place - but do you generally get like 10% either way? :smile:

in general our essays are 10% either way but for our diss it's at least 75%
Reply 215
Any economics students here??

Has anyone used ohlson model in their dissertations??
x
I'm gonna have to cut some out of mine I think because I'm gonna go over the extra 10% allowed at this rate and I'm not quite done yet. My supervisor also announced today that she's not gonna be available for the last 3 weeks which is a bit of a bombshell. Hoping to have the first draft done this or next week.
First draft done, hurrah!
Reply 218
Original post by Duck and Cover
Your uni/department should tell you what they want on the front page, but in many cases they request that you don't write your name anywhere on the dissertation itself, just an id number of some sort.

And for mine I just used 12pt Times New Roman, pretty standard! And 10pt for footnotes, I only did this at the last minute and realised it was so much better that way lol.

what about the headings? which font?
what's footnote? x
Reply 219
I've done two thirds of mine, and I'm already at the word limit. Whoops.

Quick Reply