The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nikita_atikin
mine are yearlies :frown: dailies are a lot more convenient i'd imagine though.

Oh that's a bit disappointing about the gym but i suppose i could always find someone! Basically i might as well get fit if im going to be living near a gym. But are people up for going to stuff like freshers balls and other summer balls and things like that? And another issue you pointed out, is it reeeaaalllyyy racially segregated? I mean i've lived in a multi cultural environment all my life so i want multi-race friends at university too but i'm of indian origin so will i end up with only indian friends? :s sorry i know it's a really childish question but i'm curious that's all because i just want to fit in well. :s

i'll come to the gym with you :d
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Cmon girls!!!! We can't let silly thoughts like these get to us!!!!!!! We have to maintain a female ratio at Imperial!!!!!

Yeah please go, will die if there are no other girls!!!!
Reply 142
shared rooms are ok my brother had one in is first year Imperial and he found somewhere to live with 2 or 3 of his mates easily.
I'm really worried about sharing a room. I sleep talk and I fear that if they stick me in a shared room my room-mate will hate me and kill me in my sleep D:
Original post by LuckyBlueNinja
I'm really worried about sharing a room. I sleep talk and I fear that if they stick me in a shared room my room-mate will hate me and kill me in my sleep D:

Put it down in special requirements. They will probably ask for medical proof though.

Yay! Chemistry!

My friend wants to know if you play Call of Duty!
Original post by AnythingButChardonnay
Put it down in special requirements. They will probably ask for medical proof though.

Yay! Chemistry!

My friend wants to know if you play Call of Duty!

Can I ask, you live in Eastside don't you? :smile:
(Sorry, I'm asking you so I can ask you more questions about Eastside... not to perv on you secretly. :s-smilie: Although, that is a possibility :perv:)
Can I ask, you live in Eastside don't you? :smile:
(Sorry, I'm asking you so I can ask you more questions about Eastside... not to perv on you secretly. :s-smilie: Although, that is a possibility :perv:)

Perv away!

Yes I do.
Perv away!

Yes I do.

:perv:
Rightyo, what kind of a room do you live in?
Is Eastside social enough to have a good time but not as loud as Beit?
Whats the male:female ratio like at Eastside?
The kitchens look immense but LOADS of people share them so is there stuff nickage? :ninja:
Do you guys also do like social meals and stuff? (one person cooks for the army sorta thing)

I'm def applying to Beit!!! WOO PARTY TIME:party2:

Didn't mean to get the perv signs in there, my bad :wink:
Rightyo, what kind of a room do you live in?
Whats the male:female ratio like at Eastside?
The kitchens look immense but LOADS of people share them so is there stuff nickage? :ninja:
Do you guys also do like social meals and stuff? (one person cooks for the army sorta thing)

I live in a premium room.
Yes it is social, but not as much so as Beit. Or Wilson, which is quite close-knit.
In my immediate group it's 3 boys to 5 girls. On my floor it's 4:5 girls to boys. On the whole, though, I'd say about 2:3 girls to boys, at worst.
My kitchen is quite empty because there's only a few of us on this floor. But yes, some are very busy. And some people work in them for some reason.
Not so much. At Christmas we did, but generally we cook for ourselves. Although my hall does Sunday brunch at 11am. Not that I've ever been - too early for me!

The Chinese seem to cook for each other.
Yes it is social, but not as much so as Beit. Or Wilson, which is quite close-knit.
In my immediate group it's 3 boys to 5 girls. On my floor it's 4:5 girls to boys. On the whole, though, I'd say about 2:3 girls to boys, at worst.
My kitchen is quite empty because there's only a few of us on this floor. But yes, some are very busy. And some people work in them for some reason.
Not so much. At Christmas we did, but generally we cook for ourselves. Although my hall does Sunday brunch at 11am. Not that I've ever been - too early for me!

Oh right... it's just that I can't cook and I was hoping some one would for me :colondollar: I'm such classy wife material, I tell you :tongue:
Right that helps... do you know what the twin ensuites are like? Because I'm desperate to get a twin room so I was wondering how good the twin ensuites were. They look ADORABLE on the website. :love:
Oh right... it's just that I can't cook and I was hoping some one would for me :colondollar: I'm such classy wife material, I tell you :tongue:
Right that helps... do you know what the twin ensuites are like? Because I'm desperate to get a twin room so I was wondering how good the twin ensuites were. They look ADORABLE on the website. :love:

The twin ensuites are okay. My mate (CompSci) is in one and it's fine. He's not exactly close to his Mainland Chinese roommate, but they get on okay. Although his girlfriend stayed over for a while before she got deported. That was apparently a bit awkward.

Some people make really, really good friends with their roommates.
Reply 152

It's an Asian thing, methinks. xD I should know, I'm one of them!
I've cooked for 6, but that's for my boyfriend's family (he's fully Brit :tongue:); usually I cook for two at most (the other person being my "adopted"/"pet" sister from Tianjin. :biggrin:)

I think if I can convince (some of) my floor to do it, I'd get a cooking pool/rota going for dinners and/or some weekend meals (shard responsibility FTW :biggrin:) Brekkie and lunch are no biggie, hence why they're not included.
The twin ensuites are okay. My mate (CompSci) is in one and it's fine. He's not exactly close to his Mainland Chinese roommate, but they get on okay. Although his girlfriend stayed over for a while before she got deported. That was apparently a bit awkward.

Some people make really, really good friends with their roommates.

:rofl: That is so evil but I lol'd :ninja:
Tbh, I get on with litterally everyone (I think :s-smilie:) and you don't HAVE to be best buds with your room mate even though it would be nice.
I really want Eastside :love: I think I'm gonna have to live on the stairs there if I don't get Eastside :love:
:rofl: That is so evil but I lol'd :ninja:
Tbh, I get on with litterally everyone (I think :s-smilie:) and you don't HAVE to be best buds with your room mate even though it would be nice.
I really want Eastside :love: I think I'm gonna have to live on the stairs there if I don't get Eastside :love:

I don't know really. I'm not particularly sociable and it's a rather awkward nod I give to people I recognise from Freshers' Week, but who I'm not close to any more. Inter-floor mingling is a bit difficult. The big upside of Eastside is the quality of the rooms and the proximity to the College; not so much the social aspect.

I'm sure you'll manage better than I have. Not that I'm complaining, I've made many friends!

edit: And Southside is largely the same, so I'm told.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by arianex
It's an Asian thing, methinks. xD I should know, I'm one of them!
I've cooked for 6, but that's for my boyfriend's family (he's fully Brit :tongue:); usually I cook for two at most (the other person being my "adopted"/"pet" sister from Tianjin. :biggrin:)

I think if I can convince (some of) my floor to do it, I'd get a cooking pool/rota going for dinners and/or some weekend meals (shard responsibility FTW :biggrin:) Brekkie and lunch are no biggie, hence why they're not included.

I walked into Lower Ground's kitchen the other day and the Chinese were having a Chinese night. The food smelt absolutely delicious and the girls seemed quite impressed with my dressing gown. Shame I can't speak Mandarin.

That would be great if you could organise that. It is much more efficient and healthy cooking for many than it is everyone cooking individually. Especially as it's mostly chicken/chips or ready meals people cook for themselves.
Original post by arianex

That sounds like a really nice idea :smile: I'd look forward to doing something like that as well, and it would bring people together (however I would need adult supervision whilst in the kitchen lol :colondollar: I am that bad at cooking.. I mean I once made a cake and forgot to put in flour :rolleyes:

I'm also considering twins at eastside! :smile: I'm just worried that I'll get a really annoying room-mate who I won't get on with, but tbh I think most people who go for twins will be sociable anyway (you'd have to be, to be able to share a room with someone else for a year) so it should be all good :smile:
I don't know really. I'm not particularly sociable and it's a rather awkward nod I give to people I recognise from Freshers' Week, but who I'm not close to any more. Inter-floor mingling is a bit difficult. The big upside of Eastside is the quality of the rooms and the proximity to the College; not so much the social aspect.

I'm sure you'll manage better than I have. Not that I'm complaining, I've made many friends!

edit: And Southside is largely the same, so I'm told.

You have not met me :perv: I joke :tongue:

Is Southside really that similar? I mean the rooms looked a lot different to Eastside. Btw... I don't get one thing. You know how Eastside is composed of Gabor, Falmouth(?) and Linstead? Do these halls mix with each other or are they considered as a separate unit? I mean do people from Gabor have friends from Linstead or is it pretty much you stick with the individual halls you live in? Because I was looking at Keogh and I'm sorry but it only has 28 people in it. I'm a "more the merrier" sort of person so 28 people REALLY isnt my thing. :s-smilie:
(edited 13 years ago)
You have not met me :perv: I joke :tongue:

Is Southside really that similar? I mean the rooms looked a lot different to Eastside. Btw... I don't get one thing. You know how Eastside is composed of Gabor, Falmouth(?) and Linstead? Do these halls mix with each other or are they considered as a separate unit? I mean do people from Gabor have friends from Linstead or is it pretty much you stick with the individual halls you live in? Because I was looking at Keogh and I'm sorry but it only has 28 people in it. I'm a "more the merrier" sort of person so 28 people REALLY isnt my thing. :s-smilie:

Eastside is (from the north downwards): Wilkinson, Gabor, Linstead.

Wilkinson and Gabor share a common room. Linstead has its own much smaller one (because Eastside Bar is in the way). So Wilko and Gaybar are rather closer to each other than to Linstead. Sadly there isn't much mixing otherwise, although I hear that's something that may change next year (God knows I've pestered them enough about it).

I've never actually been in Southside. But they have a fantastic-looking Social space, which is bigger than the Wilko-Gayb common room.

Wilson House on the other side of Hyde Park (20 mins walk away) is a bit dumpy apparently, but everyone from there gets on very well with each other. It's quite incredible actually. If I knew that at the time I wouldn't have tried avoiding it at all costs.

I know nothing about Keogh. Sounds cosy though!
Eastside is (from the north downwards): Wilkinson, Gabor, Linstead.

Wilkinson and Gabor share a common room. Linstead has its own much smaller one (because Eastside Bar is in the way). So Wilko and Gaybar are rather closer to each other than to Linstead. Sadly there isn't much mixing otherwise, although I hear that's something that may change next year (God knows I've pestered them enough about it).

I've never actually been in Southside. But they have a fantastic-looking Social space, which is bigger than the Wilko-Gayb common room.

Wilson House on the other side of Hyde Park (20 mins walk away) is a bit dumpy apparently, but everyone from there gets on very well with each other. It's quite incredible actually. If I knew that at the time I wouldn't have tried avoiding it at all costs.

I know nothing about Keogh. Sounds cosy though!

Defo going Wilkinson and Gabor then (Gaybar is NOT the pronounciation :mad:)
I'll look into Wilson but it is a bit annoying the way it's on the other side of Hyde Park. I don't imagine myself walking through Hyde Park late at night :ninja: I'm a girl afterall. :ninja: I will look into it though. Keogh sounds cosy but seriously, 28 people everyday for a year. Nein, danke! :nothing:

Quick Reply