The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Nice squatting Smack. Something I've started a few weeks ago which I thought I'd share with you:

Having been in a "big lifts only" mentality for so long, I decided to give some direct arm stuff a go, just for like 2x10 or 2x5 at the end of upper sessions. The most important thing for me was skullcrushing as I realised I'm weak as **** at it and thus probably benching alot more with other muscles with little tri involvement (I don't flare arms though before you ask)

Anyway long story short, after skullcrushing 1-2x a week for a couple of sets, my arms look slightly bigger and I broke a bench plateau by going from 35 DBs to 40 DBs within like 10 days, something I never would have imagined happening a few months ago. After reading your stuff I'm also gonna give speed sets a go.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Adidas90
Nice squatting Smack. Something I've started a few weeks ago which I thought I'd share with you:

Having been in a "big lifts only" mentality for so long, I decided to give some direct arm stuff a go, just for like 2x10 or 2x5 at the end of upper sessions. The most important thing for me was skullcrushing as I realised I'm weak as **** at it and thus probably benching alot more with other muscles with little tri involvement (I don't flare arms though before you ask)

Anyway long story short, after skullcrushing 1-2x a week for a couple of sets, my arms look slightly bigger and I broke a bench plateau by going from 35 DBs to 40 DBs within like 10 days, something I never would have imagined happening a few months ago. After reading your stuff I'm also gonna give speed sets a go.

I'd do skull crushers too if they didn't **** with my elbows. I usually do some face-pulls and often some curls, again for two sets like you. It works well and hardly takes any time. I'd recommend it to anyone now.
Bit of a meh session tonight.

Paused [2s] bench press:

80 x 3
80 x 3
80 x 3

Never felt like I had a fourth rep in my on the first set - quite disappointed with that. But at least I got all three triples, which I suppose is good.

Close grip bench press:

60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6
60 x 6

Happy with this. No grinders, reps all smooth, some quite fast too.

Squats:

150 x 1
160 x 1
165 x 1
170 x 1

Squats felt heavier than they should. But then this is my own fault for not training this sufficiently recently. 170 had a definite sticking point about half way up. My hamstrings are also really weak. Might have to get back to three times per week squatting sooner rather than later if I want to keep my squat above three plates! The strength drop is particularly noticeable at the 3+ rep range at lower weights. Warm ups with 120 and 140 look almost like 5 and 3RMs respectively!

Pendlay rows:

80 x 6
80 x 6
80 x 6
80 x 6
80 x 6
80 x 6

First set was the hardest, and felt almost like a 6RM. Last sets were nice and fast.

Did some stretching and went home.
Whats your current template on squats?
Original post by redbuthotter
Whats your current template on squats?

It was meant to be once a week until my deadlift hits 500lbs (which I am doing twice a week), but I've been slacking off squatting for the last three weeks.
Hmmm I need to bring my DL up too but scared how much I'll lose off squat by not squatting (at all)
Reply 746
Original post by Smack

Squats felt heavier than they should. But then this is my own fault for not training this sufficiently recently. 170 had a definite sticking point about half way up. My hamstrings are also really weak. Might have to get back to three times per week squatting sooner rather than later if I want to keep my squat above three plates! The strength drop is particularly noticeable at the 3+ rep range at lower weights. Warm ups with 120 and 140 look almost like 5 and 3RMs respectively!

I've had this before too, maybe it's an ecto thing. I layed off back squats for about 3 wks, only front squatting once a week and some deadlifting. I went back to back squatting and literally was struggling to get anything more than 3 reps out of 80kg, was a joke.

On the other hand, there have been periods where I haven't deadlifted (or front squatted) for weeks/months, just regular heavy squatting with some assistance stuff, and actually gotten stronger at DL/FS when I've returned to them. Squatting just seems to carry over to everything. But you already knew that. This post was abit pointless but I've written it now so
Hmmm I need to bring my DL up too but scared how much I'll lose off squat by not squatting (at all)

Well the only reason I'm doing this is an experiment, really. You never learn unless you experiment. I've experimented with Westside style stuff, classical once a week powerlifting stuff, 5x5 stuff, and all sorts of random stuff. And because of this, I'm in a much better position to evaluate what will and will not work for me.

But you will probably lose something from your squat by not squatting frequently.

I've had this before too, maybe it's an ecto thing. I layed off back squats for about 3 wks, only front squatting once a week and some deadlifting. I went back to back squatting and literally was struggling to get anything more than 3 reps out of 80kg, was a joke.

On the other hand, there have been periods where I haven't deadlifted (or front squatted) for weeks/months, just regular heavy squatting with some assistance stuff, and actually gotten stronger at DL/FS when I've returned to them. Squatting just seems to carry over to everything. But you already knew that. This post was abit pointless but I've written it now so

My squat definitely has the best carry over to the other lower body lifts - although I do still have to deadlift if I want a bigger deadlift.
Quite a good session tonight considering I've been very stressed this week. A quick one, though, because I've got stuff to do.

Paused [2s] bench press:

80 x 1
85 x 1
88 x 1
90 x 1

90 was quite a grinder. Happy with that, though, as it was only a few weeks ago that I could barely bench that with a massive bounce.

Deadlifts:

180 x 5

Nice PR, done without straps or a belt, that is 90% of my current PR, set with a belt and straps. Even did a 10s static hold at the end.

Weight never felt too heavy. Never felt exhausted or destroyed at the end of it. Although I'm not really sure that deficit deadlifts have given me a brilliant carry-over.

Some quick stretching and went home.
Reply 749
Nice deadlift! If it was that easy, you've probably got more than 200kg for a single now. I think I'd really struggle with 180x5.
Original post by SMed
Nice deadlift! If it was that easy, you've probably got more than 200kg for a single now. I think I'd really struggle with 180x5.

I don't think it was that easy. It was still quite difficult, and I suppose picking up almost twice my bodyweight always will be. But it just wasn't brutal like the 200kg single or some of my previous deficit sets of 5.

Hopefully I've got well over 200kg for a single. Last time I pulled 175 from the floor with a belt I had 200. Now I can do 5kg more without a belt too (not that I care about that nonsense, it's sensible to use a belt, I just couldn't be arsed going to my gym back and getting it out) so I should definitely have more than 200 in me.
Hurried session this afternoon as I had very little time before the Wales - Ireland game started. No water either as the drinking fountain was broken, so was feeling really dehydrated.

Speed deadlifts:

90 x 3
100 x 3
110 x 3
120 x 3
125 x 3

120 was the slowest. 125 was actually quite fast, compared to how I thought it would be based on 120.

Press:

57 x 5
57 x 5
57 x 5
57 x 5
57 x 5

This was quite hard.

Meh.
Bit of a "meh" session tonight. Shoulder was feeling really bad for some reason, so wasn't even sure I'd get anything done.

Power snatch:

40 x 5
50 x 5
55 x 5

These were more clusters of singles than sets, but it's easier to write it like this. Shoulder was feeling fine after these. Quite a few misses with 50 and 55.

Paused [2s] bench press:

70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5
70 x 5

These weren't too hard, and they shouldn't have been either. But maxed out on this last week and wanted to be cautious due to shoulder.

Squats:

60 x 5
80 x 5
100 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 3

These were dreadful! Infrequent squatting in the last two months seems to have killed my squat. Must get back to frequent squatting if I want my squat to progress. Perhaps I should have used a belt, too. Maybe would have gotten all five reps. I know that my belted squat transfers much better to my unbelted squat than the vice versa, so I have no reason not to wear it, but I guess I was too lazy to go into my bag and get it.

Did some face pulls, 2 x 12, about three quarters of the stack.

Then did some stretching and went home disappointed about the squats.
Reply 753
I lol'd at the last sentence. Maybe it was just one of those days. I see a paused 90kg single on the bench the other day there, nice work. Have you ever benched 2 plates for say a single? I think you're closer than you've ever been now surely? (Well from as far as I can "know" you from reading all your logs)
I lol'd at the last sentence. Maybe it was just one of those days. I see a paused 90kg single on the bench the other day there, nice work. Have you ever benched 2 plates for say a single? I think you're closer than you've ever been now surely? (Well from as far as I can "know" you from reading all your logs)

I've yet to bench two plates. And since I just maxed out on a bench movement last week it'll be a while before I do it again. At the moment I want to focus on getting stronger. Getting stronger is slightly different to preparing to put up a max single. To get stronger I need some volume at slightly lower intensities (70-85%) and to be continually increasing the weight. To put up a good max single I need practice at straining against heavy weights.

My plan is to keep in doing 5x5s with the 2s paused bench until I get to at least 80kg. Then after that, if the momentum is still going, I'll continue; but 80kg is a target for me as it is often said that your 5x5 weight is 80% of your 1RM. That'd mean that I'd hopefully have the strength for a 100kg 2s paused bench.

After 5x5 stops working I'll switch up to 3x3. That'll act as a little deload initially until I start getting really close to 90%. During this phase I'll consider incorporating speed work, depending on the bar speed, and I'll almost definitely be doing some back-off volume with a close grip to really strengthen the triceps.

So that's the plan.
Was meant to go last night but had too much work to do. Was playing indoor wendyball today which is in the same gym so I did some quick accessory work, after an hour and a half of running about and barely any food.

GHRs with broomstick:

bodyweight x 12
bodyweight x 12

Well enough.

Dumbell bench press:

27.5s x 8
27.5s x 8 - paused

Haven't flat dumbbell benched in ages. Flat was fairly easy, but paused was much harder.

Leg curl machine:

2 x 6 each side, with 50kg.

First time doing these on a machine. I usually hate machines but this one wasn't as crappy as the others.

Then did some overhead triceps extensions, which were weak; some strict curls, which were fairly good; and some face pulls. In and out in about 35 mins.
Whats the thinking behind doing high reps hamstring related exercise (woulda said isolation but not strictly true... but yeah you get what I'm getting at)
Whats the thinking behind doing high reps hamstring related exercise (woulda said isolation but not strictly true... but yeah you get what I'm getting at)

6 reps isn't high reps.
12 is though?
12 is though?

I haven't really thought about it. I wouldn't like to do GHRs with a weight that I couldn't do high reps with, though. So I tend to just do them for higher reps.

Quick Reply

Latest