The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hnxrose
The site has very little information and I've called the accommodation who seem just as confused as me lol. From what I've managed to gather.. It's bedroom layout is similar to Tyler B&C and with 8 to one kitchen in the flats. Just with the town houses I haven't managed to get any information.. As they're apparently 8/9 to one house but it's not clear how many bathrooms there will be :s

Thats the website for you I'm afraid. And if its not on the website, the accomadation people won't know that much more. If it isn't ensuite, then theres likely to be about 2 bathrooms. I live in college accomadation with 8 people and I have 2 showers and 1 toilet. Its not great but, not bad either.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 621
Original post by Loz17
Thats the website for you I'm afraid. And if its not on the website, the accomadation people won't know that much more. If it isn't ensuite, then theres likely to be about 2 bathrooms. I live in college accomadation with 8 people and I have 2 showers and 1 toilet. Its not great but, not bad either.

Which accommodation did you opt for? Any advice?
Original post by hnxrose
Which accommodation did you opt for? Any advice?

I was given accomadation as a lucky dip, as I was in clearing. I can't give any picking advice, but I can probably answer questions you may have on most accomadation. Only ones I'm not sure on are the current ones in Keynes. Apart from that go ahead :smile:
Reply 623
Original post by Loz17
I was given accomadation as a lucky dip, as I was in clearing. I can't give any picking advice, but I can probably answer questions you may have on most accomadation. Only ones I'm not sure on are the current ones in Keynes. Apart from that go ahead :smile:

Oh right.. Cool! My first choice at the moment are the Parkwood flats. But I'm now worried they're too far out.. Considering they look the furthest away from campus on the map. Is the walk really THAT far or are my estimations just wildly wrong?! Lol also what is your opinion on the Tyler courts B&C? They're so expensive.. Are they really worth it??
Original post by Loz17

I was just wondering, is Tyler A really that bad? Is it worth going for Tyler B&C, even though they are about £500 more expensive?

Thanks,
Original post by hnxrose
Oh right.. Cool! My first choice at the moment are the Parkwood flats. But I'm now worried they're too far out.. Considering they look the furthest away from campus on the map. Is the walk really THAT far or are my estimations just wildly wrong?! Lol also what is your opinion on the Tyler courts B&C? They're so expensive.. Are they really worth it??

Yeah your estimations are wildly wrong. Unless you really find walking a struggle it's like a five minute walk into campus. Really of course the best thing to do is just go there, you don't even really need to go on a open day, just turn up and park somewhere and have a snoop :P

I would personally say to anyone go with parkwood, with tyler court you're basically paying for the ensuite.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 626
Original post by paeperpeeple
Yeah your estimations are wildly wrong. Unless you really find walking a struggle it's like a five minute walk into campus. Really of course the best thing to do is just go there, you don't even really need to go on a open day, just turn up and park somewhere and have a snoop :P

I would personally say to anyone go with parkwood, with tyler court you're basically paying for the ensuite.

Lol well it takes me over an hour to get to college right now so I'm sure a five minutes walk won't be too bad! I've just seen on other forums people saying it takes roughly 15mins as well as walking through woodland.

But thanks for your advice!
Original post by hnxrose
Lol well it takes me over an hour to get to college right now so I'm sure a five minutes walk won't be too bad! I've just seen on other forums people saying it takes roughly 15mins as well as walking through woodland.

But thanks for your advice!

I've visited Kent twice and tbh I thought it was a bit of a mission, but then I am particuarly lazy. I applied for Tyler A, I didn't think B&C were that much better considering the price difference.
Reply 628
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
I've visited Kent twice and tbh I thought it was a bit of a mission, but then I am particuarly lazy. I applied for Tyler A, I didn't think B&C were that much better considering the price difference.

How long would you say the walk is? I'm just considering being tired or hungover and having to lose a couple minutes extra in bed as my lecture hall would be so far away! Were you able to look inside Tyler A? How was it?
Original post by hnxrose
How long would you say the walk is? I'm just considering being tired or hungover and having to lose a couple minutes extra in bed as my lecture hall would be so far away! Were you able to look inside Tyler A? How was it?

lol, excellent. Its literally less than 10 minutes - but still not something I'm willing to hack when drunk/hungover/in winter. Yeah I looked inside Tyler A, it's alright, kitchen was big and nice, thought in layout terms its a bit more sociable than the others.
Sorry guys been busy. Still am but I'll reply now before I forget...
Original post by hnxrose

I am a fast walker. From Eliot it takes me 10 mins to get to the flats. Its not that far. People moan but I've no idea why...
B&C are lovely. Massive kitchen (same size as the flats if you've seen them, same layout too), nicely decorated and fairly large rooms witrh loads of storage.

Sorry this is a really quick definition

Original post by asha_patel
I was just wondering, is Tyler A really that bad? Is it worth going for Tyler B&C, even though they are about £500 more expensive?

Thanks,

When I was there (I moved out due to money problems) evrything was breaking. The ovens were psycho, the rooms wern't that big, you don't get loads of storage. Its nice having an ensuite though and having reception in the same building. Its terrible for the money though if I'm honest. Kictchens are nice and social in A, but half the size of those in B&C. you get 2 ovens in B&C as well and only one in A. Means sometimes you have to wait forever to eat.
(edited 13 years ago)
The first couple of times, you'll think that the Parkwood flats are a mile off, but it really isn't far once you've done the walk a couple of times. It will seem like an effort for morning lectures, but that's made up for by having pretty much the nicest accomm on campus! :p: After all, you'll figure it out so it fits into your routine for getting to lectures.
Reply 632
I bite the bullet and put new keynes flat as my first choice :K:. Just because it's meant to be of the same standard of tyler C&B but it's newer and seems to be in a better location for all the facilities I will need.

Fingers crossed now lol
Original post by hnxrose
I bite the bullet and put new keynes flat as my first choice :K:. Just because it's meant to be of the same standard of tyler C&B but it's newer and seems to be in a better location for all the facilities I will need.

Fingers crossed now lol

Me too :smile:
Reply 634
Original post by jaydemikaela
Me too :smile:

Have you applied for Keynes flats as well?
Original post by hnxrose
Have you applied for Keynes flats as well?

Yep :smile:
Reply 636
Original post by Loz17

Hey, I was wondering if you could help me with something..

When I went to the open day I was shown a Tyler B&C which I remember the en-suite as having a diagonal door and the room seeming smaller compared to Park wood en-suites.. Where the bathroom had adjacent facing doors to the wall. I don't know if I'm making sense to you? lol.... But I've seen pictures of Tyler B&C online now and it seems on there it shows the bathroom is adjacent too the wall and not diagonal.. Am I going crazy?!!

Could you somehow clarify this for me please? :erm:
Original post by moonlight
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me with something..

When I went to the open day I was shown a Tyler B&C which I remember the en-suite as having a diagonal door and the room seeming smaller compared to Park wood en-suites.. Where the bathroom had adjacent facing doors to the wall. I don't know if I'm making sense to you? lol.... But I've seen pictures of Tyler B&C online now and it seems on there it shows the bathroom is adjacent too the wall and not diagonal.. Am I going crazy?!!

Could you somehow clarify this for me please? :erm:

They're diagonal. Only ones I have ever seen are diagonal and the one I had in Tyler A was diagonal :h:
Reply 638
Got an unconditional offer from Kent for Social Policy!
Reply 639
Original post by agnezmo
Got an unconditional offer from Kent for Social Policy!

Wow congrats! Iuno if it's a silly question, but will you take it? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending