The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2011 Freshers Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacke02
Ooh I'm so jealous :P I'm waiting to see what i get in the march results... hopefully if if i get like 100% in pysch i'll (only) need 80% in june, but i probably messed up somewhere... :angry:

Yeah lol :P, i don't think it would be hard to find nice places cambridge...........

At least you don't have too long until you find out now! Arghh I always hated the nerve-wracking wait - will cross my fingers!

And yer, variety = spoilt for choice = om.nom.nom :tongue:
Just saw South Riding and

Spoiler

...it's not just me, right? Or are you all callow youths who don't get fazed by this sort of thing? :smile:

I do still get the ohgoddidIpickthewrongcollege/university collywobbles though. Uh-huh.
Original post by chai wallah

Spoiler

...it's not just me, right? Or are you all callow youths who don't get fazed by this sort of thing? :smile:

I do still get the ohgoddidIpickthewrongcollege/university collywobbles though. Uh-huh.

I'm certainly getting very, very, excited... bought myself a suit today in anticipation of... needing a suit? And I am already arranging for people to come visit me. I need to stop getting ahead of myself! :biggrin:
Original post by nibbler12
I'm certainly getting very, very, excited... bought myself a suit today in anticipation of... needing a suit? And I am already arranging for people to come visit me. I need to stop getting ahead of myself! :biggrin:

heehee that's brilliant!

You will need a suit :tongue:. If you see a cheap tux around anywhere, it might also be useful to invest in one as well, in anticipation of three years of May Balls.
heehee that's brilliant!

Original post by SunderX
You will need a suit :tongue:. If you see a cheap tux around anywhere, it might also be useful to invest in one as well, in anticipation of three years of May Balls.

I know I'll need a suit, it's just that there's no reason to get one now, what if I end up at York :redface: (I'll still need a suit probably, yes).
tux as in dinner suit? This is a black formal suit I got, but it's not a dinner suit. What do you wear to a may ball exactly?

I know I'll need a suit, it's just that there's no reason to get one now, what if I end up at York :redface: (I'll still need a suit probably, yes).
tux as in dinner suit? This is a black formal suit I got, but it's not a dinner suit. What do you wear to a may ball exactly?

Black tie - so shiny lapels, and a bow tie of some description. (Yes, you'll probably only ever need this in Cambridge... or for graduation!). Obviously the girls wear something different :tongue:.
Original post by SunderX
Black tie - so shiny lapels, and a bow tie of some description. (Yes, you'll probably only ever need this in Cambridge... or for graduation!). Obviously the girls wear something different :tongue:.

Right, well I've not got shiny lapels so I reckon I'll need a dinner jacket. My dad still has a black bowtie, but it took me about 20 minutes to learn to tie it terribly, and I've forgotten again :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1168
Is black tie sufficient or would it be beneficial to also bring white tie?
Original post by Bumbl

I think that only 2 colleges still ever ask for white tie at balls, it's a bit over the top from what I understand anyway.
Original post by Bumbl

Original post by Bumbl

As far as I know, only Magdalene May Ball is a white-tie event. Even if you went to that college, it probably wouldn't justify buying it, considering the number of white-tie event you'll likely attend, ever.

Spoiler

I loved that bit! :biggrin:
I bloody love formal wear - as in, arcane convention after arcane convention... I don't especially dig the exclusivity of it, nor the fact it's more difficult for women, but I still can't help loving hearing people talk about 'white tie' etc. It's the little frisson of 'it's a code and I know the code', I think.

I've just remembered I had a cummerbund when I hired black tie for my leavers' ball! Love it.
Reply 1173
White tie is cool. But the topper is, in my opinion, one of the most ridiculous looking pieces of clothing ever made. :wink:
I bloody love formal wear - as in, arcane convention after arcane convention... I don't especially dig the exclusivity of it, nor the fact it's more difficult for women, but I still can't help loving hearing people talk about 'white tie' etc. It's the little frisson of 'it's a code and I know the code', I think.

I've just remembered I had a cummerbund when I hired black tie for my leavers' ball! Love it.

I think this is what appeals to me - being part of something old fashioned that's a little unconventional these days.
Hey I got a fresher's pack from Pembroke today for engineering. Seems a bit early - thought perhaps they had decided they they wanted me irrespective of my A level results :smile:
Ps Hope everyone got the results they needed today.
Reply 1176
How's everyone's resutl?
Original post by Got the tshirt
Hey I got a fresher's pack from Pembroke today for engineering. Seems a bit early - thought perhaps they had decided they they wanted me irrespective of my A level results :smile:
Ps Hope everyone got the results they needed today.

Hey - does your freshers pack have anything special for engineering?

I got one for my college, but there isn't really much about engineering (the subject I have an offer for) in mine, just a mention about some problems that I presume we receive after results.
Reply 1178
Quick Question: if you need an A* in one subject but you get in another, can you still get in? I need an A* is psychology, and all my other subjects are "harder": maths, physics, english lit. If i got an A* in maths and/or physics instead of psych could i barter at the admissions office?

(Hopefully i wont need to :redface:)
Original post by Jacke02
Quick Question: if you need an A* in one subject but you get in another, can you still get in? I need an A* is psychology, and all my other subjects are "harder": maths, physics, english lit. If i got an A* in maths and/or physics instead of psych could i barter at the admissions office?

(Hopefully i wont need to :redface:)

The bartering doesn't really happen, because they get your results and decide before you even see yours. Hence why on results day people tend to log into UCAS to see if their place has been confirmed or not.

The case for most, if not all, colleges is that if you miss out on your offer (which even if you got A*s in everything else is still missing out) you need to photocopy your module results to them, but largely I think it's safe to say you'd still get in with an A* elsewhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending