The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4220
Original post by mikeyd85
Nothing is future proof. By 2014, mobiles will be 75 times more powerful than they are now...

Desire / Desire HD would be a good shout in a month or two when then next Desires are released.

Edit:

On another matter, Cronos GB with ondemand governor is very, very nice.

ondemand? :holmes:

Is that for the CPU? like setCPU can do or...?
Original post by bigmo7
ondemand? :holmes:

Is that for the CPU? like setCPU can do or...?

Indeed it is. I can be done in SetCPU, but I've been doing it in;

Settings > CM Extra > Performance > CPU Settings > Governors

I found the Cronos one wasn't too hot (which I think Feeyo fwill fix with a kernel update, but I seldom bother with the mods). There's a performance one there too! :biggrin:
Nothing is future proof. By 2014, mobiles will be 75 times more powerful than they are now...

Desire / Desire HD would be a good shout in a month or two when then next Desires are released.

Edit:

On another matter, Cronos GB with ondemand governor is very, very nice.

Tahh for the opinion :smile:
Original post by bigmo7
4gb? what are like? :tongue:

you gonna have 24kbps music on there? hehe

iPod. :colonhash:
Reply 4224
Indeed it is. I can be done in SetCPU, but I've been doing it in;

Settings > CM Extra > Performance > CPU Settings > Governors

I found the Cronos one wasn't too hot (which I think Feeyo fwill fix with a kernel update, but I seldom bother with the mods). There's a performance one there too! :biggrin:

Never tried on demand tbh...battery life on my SGS is pretty decent atm so it probably won't hurt :p:

On the Cronos forums there is a SGS section but nothing in there yet. Maybe they'll port it to my phone like Cyangenmod but have to wait and see....
Original post by RyuHADOUKEN

Original post by RyuHADOUKEN
Hey guys,

I'm after an android phone atm (because my crapberry is bricked/dead). Just wondering what anyone would suggest? I'm going to uni for 5 years so I'm gonna be skint after this summer so hoping for something that's got decent internet speed and will be reliable i.e won't die on me after a year (like my crapberry) and has a decent battery life and has good specs overall giving it a bit of futureproof-ness (definitely not a word :tongue:)? I don't mind shelling out a couple-few hundred as long as it's a sound investment... :smile:

(Checked out the review sites already but just after some personal experiences...?)

I think the more you shell out now the longer a phone will last but you are looking at some seriously highend stuff like Moto Atrix or Samsung Galaxy S II
I'm hoping this rumoured LG Optimus 2x but running vanilla Android is true and that it comes to the UK...

I'm hoping this rumoured LG Optimus 2x but running vanilla Android is true and that it comes to the UK...

That would be good but after engadget's review, I'm waiting on the Atrix
Original post by wizard710
That would be good but after engadget's review, I'm waiting on the Atrix

I'd love an Atrix, but the locked bootloader worries me a little.

A) I like Launcher Pro a lot.
B) When Ice Cream comes out in Q4, I'd bet it features HW acceleration for the UI. That'd be mint tbh. I don't wanna be left behind! Hopefully it'll be updated... Still, nothing else can touch it.

I'd love an Atrix, but the locked bootloader worries me a little.

A) I like Launcher Pro a lot.
B) When Ice Cream comes out in Q4, I'd bet it features HW acceleration for the UI. That'd be mint tbh. I don't wanna be left behind! Hopefully it'll be updated... Still, nothing else can touch it.

Can't you use launcher pro without unlocking the bootloader? Even so, it has been unlocked and it does have a custom ROM already, albeit quite difficult to install but it has been done
Original post by wizard710
Can't you use launcher pro without unlocking the bootloader? Even so, it has been unlocked and it does have a custom ROM already, albeit quite difficult to install but it has been done

I could, but I feel there'd still be MotoBleurgh running in the background, or at least some of it's services.

Where's this unlocked bootloader you speak of? The dev thread in XDA seems quite quiet...
Everyone check out SPB Mobile Shell 5.0 BETA (Your usual site off course :ninja2: )

It's super impressive, full GPU accelerated and it's got a 3D interface for homescreens, my housemate (who loves Apple) why like 'OH ****'. I wouldn't replace it long term for Laucnher Pro but it might have been the most impressive thing I've ever seen on Android.
Original post by G8D
It's not been unlocked.

I quoted you though, they have rooted/installed a quasi-custom ROM.
Nothing monumental yet.

I didn't think it had, but I lived in hope!

Yeah, just been reading about it. It's so frustrating that the Xoom is open and this isn't!
Okay it only works on a limited amount of devices. Here's the video of it.

(edited 13 years ago)
I could, but I feel there'd still be MotoBleurgh running in the background, or at least some of it's services.

Where's this unlocked bootloader you speak of? The dev thread in XDA seems quite quiet...

Original post by G8D
It's not been unlocked.

I quoted you though, they have rooted/installed a quasi-custom ROM.
Nothing monumental yet.

That must have been what I saw. This is all I can find on engadget http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/19/motorola-atrix-4g-already-rooted-and-its-not-even-out-yet/ but I could swear I had seen a post where they got a custom rom onto it

Original post by G8D
"Your copy of SPB... is not activated..."

EDIT: NVM, not supported.

Which is odd because they demo'd this (laggy though) on a Nexus One.

Yeah I think they're working on compatibility, I'm surprised just how smooth it is though, it's smoother than Launcher Pro and that was pretty smooth before.
Reply 4236
Original post by yoyo462001
Okay it only works on a limited amount of devices. Here's the video of it.

What's with the epic music?

It's a pretty sweet launcher...maybe when it's out of beta I might try using it more often.
SD card came. :teeth: Time to root. :teeth: Well... back up first.

Edit:
Goldcard made, Android SDK being a pain to install, need 32bit JSDK instead of 64bit wtf.
(edited 13 years ago)
OK need help...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>crackin.bat
"Copying tools"
cannot stat 'busybox': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'flash_image': No such file or directory
cannot stat 'misc1-2.img': No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/busybox: No such file or directory
Unable to chmod /data/local/flash_image: No such file or directory
"Freeing primary PERM linker"
rm failed for /data/DxDrm/fuse/*, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/DxDrm/fuse, No such file or directory
rmdir failed for /data/DxDrm/fuse/, No such file or directory
cannot create /data/DxDrm/fuse: directory nonexistent
Unable to chmod /data/DxDrm/fuse: No such file or directory
"Freeing secondary PERM linker"
rmdir failed for /data/DxDrm/fuse/, No such file or directory
rmdir failed for /data/DxDrm, No such file or directory
link failed Permission denied
"Rebooting to normal mode to unlock CHMOD links"
rmdir failed for /data/dontpanic, Permission denied
rm failed for /data/DxDrm, No such file or directory
link failed File exists
link failed Permission denied
"Rebooting to normal mode to downgrade ROM"
/dev/mtd/mtd0: Permission denied
/data/local/busybox: not found
/data/local/flash_image: not found
"Freeing links"
rm failed for /data/DxDrm, No such file or directory
rm failed for /data/dontpanic, Permission denied

Wtf?!

Guides are so outdated.

PATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools

Copied the hack4legend files to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools & C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools

Following this guide:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=725430
Original post by spikeymike

First off, is ADB working at all?

Latest

Trending

Trending