The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In2deep
I know what you mean, maybe I was being too optimistic. I expected us to lose, yes, but not to play that badly :dontknow:

It is a shame when a team just cannot perform. As a United fan I remember the anticipation of the final against Barca ... only to watch us get played off the pitch ... but that is another story..

I wanted Arsenal to get through tonight and am really shocked and pretty disgusted at the quality (/ lack) of refereeing. Van P.'s sending off has to be the worst decision that I have seen .... I am quite looking forwards to Wenger giving it both Barrels when I see the post match.
I like how people play down the sending off, obviously the lone forward role where you hold up play and occupy the two centre backs so they can't move up and press the opposition midfield is a complete myth as well, they're only there to have shots?
Reply 6222
Original post by Billa Bong
i meant if a similar chance came his way (which might have done as barca usually tend to tire towards the end)

Hindsight is a powerful thing.

The whole "Ref was ****e.", "If RVP was still on...", etc. is bull****. At the end of the day, Barcelona outplayed Arsenal, no one can argue that. Arguing that "if the chance was converted it was a different game" or whatever is nonsense. The same could be said about the two Barcelona penalties that could have been.

No point looking back. Might as well move on and look to the next game.
Reply 6223
"our team gave it their all"

arsenal - 0 shots on target.

gg

LOL, disillusional arsenal fans.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6224
that ridiculous advert on at half time, respect the referees, yeah right, they don't deserve respect if they're gonna act like utter muppets

Barca outplayed you but the referee ruined this game with that red card just as the tide was turning, you lot have every right to be aggrieved
Original post by R-KAM
Yes, because Arsenal have won many trophies in their 11 years of my supporting them. Celtic have won trophies, if you'd ever follow the SPL. First English team I ever watched, followed them ever since.

Loads of people support Barca or Real as their second team for example, you might even be one. Supporting different teams from different countries is hardly an issue.

I can support who I like anyway. :h:

Well they won 2 premier league, 3 fa cups and 2 community shields not exactly a lack of trophies.

I like Bayern because thats one of the closest Bundesliga clubs to where my grandmother was from before she was ethnically cleansed from her area. Also my middle name is after a former Bayern great.
Reply 6226
A fascinating game. Thoughts:

1. Well done to Barcelona, completely played us into oblivion. Chased and monopolised the ball with characteristic determination and should have scored a few more. Which brings me to:

2. Almunia. My blood ran cold when the Spaniard entered the fray - I'm sure many others felt the same - but he guarded the gate fantastically, made a number of key rushes and interceptions and was strong on multiple goalscoring opportunities.

3. The team defended excellently as a unit for large portions of the match. Djourou again outstanding.

4. Yes, we were up against a very good possession team, but jeez, we witnessed a wholesale desertion of composure on the ball from Arsenal tonight. Couldn't hold it for more than 10 seconds.

5. All the worry about a potentially sub-par Diaby/Denilson performance, and it transpires that our captain puts in the worst shift. Atrocious mistake for the goal, and did nothing worthy of praise all game.

6. van Persie's sending off was extremely harsh, but I'm not sure how much difference it would have made had he stayed on, it's not like we were utilising him much beforehand.

7. I wish Bendtner had a better first touch.

Overall I'm saddened but not disheartened, we deserved to lose but I can't see this being too demoralising with regards to domestic competitions. I'd wager Barcelona won't face too many problems in recapturing their Champions League trophy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6227
It's not in particular the sending off that I found most frustrating, just the behaviour/simulation of the Barca players and how the referee completely bought into it.
Reply 6228
Original post by Economist
I like how people play down the sending off, obviously the lone forward role where you hold up play and occupy the two centre backs so they can't move up and press the opposition midfield is a complete myth as well, they're only there to have shots?

I don't think people would play down the sending off as much if Arsenal even looked like threatening when they had all 11 men on the pitch. The fact remains that even with 11 men they had 0 shots.
I've been saying it for a while, but Bendtner really has to go. Any half-decent striker and we still could've gone through despite the ridiculous sending off. Hard to lose that way but still got the league in our own hands so can concentrate on that. On a positive note, Almunia was amazing - MOTM for us.
yup referee did ruin the game with the red card and who knows it could have been different with 11 v 11...but the fact of the matter is yes barca outplayed us and yes they deserved to go through over the two legs but bender could have made himself an instant hero right at the end

oh and btw this was never a red card was it...yeah didn't think so :|
(edited 13 years ago)
Arsenal: The most consistent team in the premier league.... at getting consistently knocked out of major Cups season after season
Original post by doggyfizzel
Do believe that was Villa after Kos' tackle.

Correct. I'd have given the ***t a yellow for all those rolls. Laughable. No-one needs to roll around that much, even if you've actually been shot in say the balls.
Original post by RNBen
I don't think people would play down the sending off as much if Arsenal even looked like threatening when they had all 11 men on the pitch. The fact remains that even with 11 men they had 0 shots.

We had one chance, a chance RVP bangs home 9/10 on recent form. The fact remains with no forward man the whole Barca defence can press up leaving no outlet for the midfield
Original post by Danny.
Wow. Did you even watch the game? :lol:

Yes I did.

Arsenal did nothing of note.
Original post by RNBen
Hindsight is a powerful thing.

The whole "Ref was ****e.", "If RVP was still on...", etc. is bull****. At the end of the day, Barcelona outplayed Arsenal, no one can argue that. Arguing that "if the chance was converted it was a different game" or whatever is nonsense. The same could be said about the two Barcelona penalties that could have been.

No point looking back. Might as well move on and look to the next game.

thats rubbish.
the referee was clearly biased towards barca
Original post by Billa Bong
yup referee did ruin the game with the red card and who know it could have been different with 11 v 11...but the fact of the matter is yes barca outplayed us and yes they deserved to go through over the two legs but bender could have made himself an instant hero right at the end

oh and btw this was never a red card was it...yeah didn't think so :|

Trolololololo internet meme to be spawned

"Yeah I gotchu, what you gonna do about it" "I'm chokin you, yeah"

"Yeah revenge is sweet is it, black power!"
Reply 6237
At times Barca's last line of defence was in the half-way time, this just shows the amount of pressure we were on.
Original post by -Matty-
Inter were pretty succesful at it.

Inter have a lot better defence than you in all fairness, and let's face it defending is stereotypically Italian teams strong point, and add to that that Jose always instill strong defences in his team.
Doesn't matter about the score. I'm proud of our team. I'm proud we beat Barcelona at home. I'm proud we went there and played our heart out. And most of all I'm proud to be a gooner.

Ps Referees can be an absolute disgrace at times.

Latest