The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Regardless of the game (Barcelona deserved to win and go through, no qualms), I still can't get my head around the RvP sending off. Seriously. There's just no common sense or even footballing experience that can justify such a terrible decision.

And positives everyone! Barcelona beat Madrid an Mourinho 5-0. Hah.

Not even a yellow!
Disgrace!
Reply 6242
Original post by Billa Bong
yup referee did ruin the game with the red card and who know it could have been different with 11 v 11...but the fact of the matter is yes barca outplayed us and yes they deserved to go through over the two legs but bender could have made himself an instant hero right at the end

oh and btw this was never a red card was it...yeah didn't think so :|

Abidal's a little bitch, see him rolling around on the floor? Lot of play acting by Barca too, was a bit pathetic
Original post by R-KAM
:congrats:

Can't find your last post but it's true. Used to love watching Juve in Serie A, then again this was when they bribed refs. Feels like their opponents still had better refs than Arsenal sometimes :frown:

Original post by Zayne101
"our team gave it their all"

arsenal - 0 shots on target.

gg

LOL, disillusional arsenal fans.

Yeah anyway...

I always say Arsenal will slump in form after losing but I expect a great performance next game vs. United (if there are no injuries). Almost every player stepped up today and Cesc was very upset about his mistake he's not the type of player who lets it get to him though.
Original post by Danny.
What do you suppose we did? Go and attack, attack and attack and let in 4 in the first half? We were defending brilliantly, but obviously Barca will break through, it would've been even easier if we gave them more space to do so.

I'm not saying you should've done anything - there was nothing you could've done. I'm just putting in a factual statement from what happened in the match. You did play well defensively, but it is inevitable that Barca will score, and yeah it would've been easier if you gave them more space, but it also makes it easier for them and a lot harder for you when you're defending for 90 minutes. Overall though as I said, there was nothing you could really do.

Fabregas went missing tonight though.
Original post by a_t
Abidal's a little bitch, see him rolling around on the floor? Lot of play acting by Barca too, was a bit pathetic

yeah same for the other barca players as well (like villa and messi on occasions)...i mean ok they got caught but they rolled around like they had been shot in balls...even then you wouldn't roll around like that
Reply 6246
Original post by CB91
Yes I did.

Arsenal did nothing of note.

You said the sending off didn't change the game. You clearly do not no anything about football and have never played it beyond a kick about.
Why are people singling out RVP's red? Sure it was the wrong call, but he wouldn't have seen two yellows had he not manhandled Abidal (who also should've gotten booked, btw). Also, Barca should've had a penalty in the first half, and Koscielny should've seen a second yellow for the pen in the second. Swings and roundabouts.

Souness was spot on with his analysis.
Original post by G550NDH
Doesn't matter about the score. I'm proud of our team. I'm proud we beat Barcelona at home. I'm proud we went there and played our heart out. And most of all I'm proud to be a gooner.

Ps Referees can be an absolute disgrace at times.

Agreed, better to concentrate on Saturday now
Reply 6249
Almunia being subbed on, a red card for an Arsenal player, Barcelona needing two goals to win the match and getting them, this reminds me of a similar match.....
Ref came out from half time with an agenda, pure and simple. I'm not disputing the result despite it killing the game as a half-decent contest, but that ref just wanted half an excuse to show that card. Whether it's because he saw a replay and decided he should've sent him off for stroking Alves I don't know, but it would've been nice to see what happened to Abidal after a 50/50. Sour taste left in the mouth, but there's the rest of the season to play, so *******s to that arsewipe and we'll move on. Hope the **** snaps his banjostring whilst ****ing over his little powertrip tonight though. Dicksplat.
Original post by Danny.
You said the sending off didn't change the game. You clearly do not no anything about football and have never played it beyond a kick about.

A completely anonymous Van Persie would have done so much right? :rolleyes:

Take your Arsenal glasses off.

And what does my history in football have to do with anything, except for the fact that you're bitter?
Original post by TuckingFypo™
Why are people singling out RVP's red? Sure it was the wrong call, but he wouldn't have seen two yellows had he not manhandled Abidal (who also should've gotten booked, btw). Also, Barca should've had a penalty in the first half, and Koscielny should've seen a second yellow for the pen in the second. Swings and roundabouts.

Souness was spot on with his analysis.

RVP didn't get yellow for 'mandhandling' abidal (it was the other way around anyways with abidals hands around RVP's throat) but got it for foul on alves which was a yellow but the other yellow was just ridiculous...the ref got several decisions wrong no doubt about it
Reply 6253
I gotta say the ref was awful. RVP would have probably scored that bendtner chance and arsenal would have won.

The ref's these days dont use any common sense and act like robots.
Btw the la liga is wack as only two teams can win the title there - barca and madrid. The last time a different team won it, was the 03/04 season.
"We would have won / the game would have been completely different with V Persie on"

ummm... they still had messi on.
Original post by Troubled_Student
I'm not saying you should've done anything - there was nothing you could've done. I'm just putting in a factual statement from what happened in the match. You did play well defensively, but it is inevitable that Barca will score, and yeah it would've been easier if you gave them more space, but it also makes it easier for them and a lot harder for you when you're defending for 90 minutes. Overall though as I said, there was nothing you could really do.

Fabregas went missing tonight though.

Fabregas was injured and probably shouldn't have been played, in hindsight! According to sources, Fabregas felt a twinge of the hamstring within 15mins of the game tonight. Speaks volumes really, considering his performance, which was 'anaemic' according to 5live.
Reply 6256
Original post by Panthalic
Ref came out from half time with an agenda, pure and simple. I'm not disputing the result despite it killing the game as a half-decent contest, but that ref just wanted half an excuse to show that card. Whether it's because he saw a replay and decided he should've sent him off for stroking Alves I don't know, but it would've been nice to see what happened to Abidal after a 50/50. Sour taste left in the mouth, but there's the rest of the season to play, so *******s to that arsewipe and we'll move on. Hope the **** snaps his banjostring whilst ****ing over his little powertrip tonight though. Dicksplat.

oh stfu

what about the penalty that should have been at the emirates? or the dissallowed goal that was clearly a legit goal by messi what about that robbery dear arsenal fans?!?!

you cry baby arsenal fans talking about that robbery, stop whining.

eitherway you deserved to be knocked out and you were :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6257
Original post by Billa Bong
yup referee did ruin the game with the red card and who know it could have been different with 11 v 11...but the fact of the matter is yes barca outplayed us and yes they deserved to go through over the two legs but bender could have made himself an instant hero right at the end

oh and btw this was never a red card was it...yeah didn't think so :|

Absolute Disgrace!
Reply 6258
Original post by rooney1000
thats rubbish.
the referee was clearly biased towards barca

Ha! Standard bull****. In one way or another the ref always gets the blame. Barca played Arsenal off the park tonight. They deserved to go through and, some would argue, with a lot more on the score sheet.

Original post by Economist
We had one chance, a chance RVP bangs home 9/10 on recent form. The fact remains with no forward man the whole Barca defence can press up leaving no outlet for the midfield

The first part, is a ridiculous statement, how can you know that this wouldn't have been that 1 in 10? Like I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

OK, I see where you are coming from in a way with the second point, though it is still a little weak. Once Arshavin came on you had 2 front men, yet Bendtner, Arshavin and Nasri couldn't cause any real worries for them. I remember only a couple of times Arsenal really made Barca defend, and they just absorbed it and dealt with it as if they were playing against a Sunday League side.
Reply 6259

Wojciech Szcz?sny has ruptured the tendons in his hand and is out for the rest of the season, according to BBC & ESPN

According to Young Guns twitter

Latest