The Student Room Group

A levels for international relations degree?

I need some examination advice. I also need some help with my a level choices.

I want to go to lse or St. Andrews to study either history or international relations. Firstly, I want to know whether my A level choices are appropriate for the universities I plan to go to and the courses that I will be studying:

History
English Literature
Chemistry
Politics and government
Business Studies ( economics isn't
offered!!!!)

I am worried because the bottom two are subjects that are blacklisted by lse. I am predicted three A grades at A level. Also, are the subjects appropriate for international relations?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Decent. I have it similair:
English lit
Economics
Maths
Politics

And politics is not blacklisted by LSE or any other uni. Just had a look on the site, business studies is the only subject of your choice blacklisted, so it would be wise to drop it for A2 or maybe now if it isn't too late.
Reply 2
I'd agree with the above poster in saying that you should drop Business Studies before you get to A2 level. A language would have been good, but other than that I think that your choices are fine.
Reply 3
How are you predicted 3 A grades for A level if you haven't started AS yet :s-smilie:
Reply 4
I wouldn't do Business Studies.

Do something else you'll enjoy.
History
Geography
Chemistry
and a language or english literature
Hi!
I am currently a Year 11, and I am having problems with choosing decent A-levels for International Relations degree.
Politics - History - Economics - Biology
Will these subjects be okay for universities?
Thanks!
Reply 7
Do a Modern Language.
I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here...I'm doing;

Drama-(I know it is not advised but i love it and i am good at it)
History
Economics

and i can't decide between maths or geography...I'm predicted an A in both. I enjoy Geography more but i have heard maths is better for UNI especially if i change my mind about international relations and want to do economics...Any ideas?
Reply 9
becuase you are doing economic maths is not needed i would do geography.

i am also in the same boat and think of doing:
Economics
Communication and Culture
Goverment and Politics
Art (Fun)

Are these good choices
Reply 10
Original post by Globuleman56
I need some examination advice. I also need some help with my a level choices.

I want to go to lse or St. Andrews to study either history or international relations. Firstly, I want to know whether my A level choices are appropriate for the universities I plan to go to and the courses that I will be studying:

History
English Literature
Chemistry
Politics and government
Business Studies ( economics isn't
offered!!!!)

I am worried because the bottom two are subjects that are blacklisted by lse. I am predicted three A grades at A level. Also, are the subjects appropriate for international relations?

Don't do Business Studies! Also, it's a very bad idea applying to LSE with two blacklisted subjects.....International Relations is one of the hardest courses to get onto at LSE (on par with Economics) and they'll be looking for any excuse to reject someone.
Reply 11
Original post by Beckamia11

Economics
Goverment and Politics
Art (Fun)

Are these good choices

Nope. Swap out at least two of those last three subjects you listed for something more traditional - History, Geography, Maths, a modern language, a science...
Reply 12
Original post by dinostephen
I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here...I'm doing;

Drama-(I know it is not advised but i love it and i am good at it)
History
Economics

and i can't decide between maths or geography...I'm predicted an A in both. I enjoy Geography more but i have heard maths is better for UNI especially if i change my mind about international relations and want to do economics...Any ideas?

Original post by Beckamia11

Economics
Goverment and Politics
Art (Fun)

Are these good choices

Don't listen to Beckamia, he/she doesn't know what (s)he's talking about. If you want to keep your options open (to the possibility of doing Economics at university) then you need to do Maths. It's a requirement for most good uni's.
Reply 13
I was offered places for all the Uni's i applied for to study Int. Relations starting in sept/oct. I've firmed sussex and the A levels im finishing now...

Govt&Pol
Geography
History

and dropped Film&Media at AS

all my choices were highly regarded and sussex is in the top 5 in the UK for IR
Politics is such a soft A level subject

History basically covers politics anyway

you should do:
English Literature
History

then any others out of the following really: geography, maths, french, spanish, physics, RS, chemistry, biology

it really doesn't matter what else you do as they are strong subs but seriously politics is weak
Original post by georgeflynn
Politics is such a soft A level subject

History basically covers politics anyway

you should do:
English Literature
History

then any others out of the following really: geography, maths, french, spanish, physics, RS, chemistry, biology

it really doesn't matter what else you do as they are strong subs but seriously politics is weak

History and Politics are totally seperate! History doesn't teach you how the British government works now.
OP, I didn't apply to St Andrews or LSE, but I did RS, Politics & History A2 and Psychology at AS, and got offers from Sheffield (in 09/10) and then Leeds, Birmingham and UEA in both 09/10 & 10/11 despite retaking most of my A2s.
Original post by jelly1000
History and Politics are totally seperate! History doesn't teach you how the British government works now.

what i'm saying is though that you don't need politics to do a politics degree. just like you don't need Law A level to do a Law degree.

However, subs like Eng Lit and Hist are so invaluable they show a wider range of thinking. politics is a soft a level at the end of the day, everybody knows for A level you do traditional subjects and then specialize for degree. politics degree is fine, it's just the a level is not traditional.
Original post by jelly1000

this proves my point

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Original post by georgeflynn
what i'm saying is though that you don't need politics to do a politics degree. just like you don't need Law A level to do a Law degree.

However, subs like Eng Lit and Hist are so invaluable they show a wider range of thinking. politics is a soft a level at the end of the day, everybody knows for A level you do traditional subjects and then specialize for degree. politics degree is fine, it's just the a level is not traditional.

I didn't say that you needed to do Politics, just that its different to History as they make it as up to date as possible. I have to agree though it is softer than History, in that to do well you just memorise everything and can write down the relevant information exactly as you remember. For the A2 route I did [Route D- Global Issues] you didn't need to know any oppinions either, it was just fact. Having said that it was immensely useful to get to grasps with the basics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending