The Student Room Group

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures

Scroll to see replies

Prospective economist i have a LSE A&F offer. Got it a little while back, it is my 2nd choice as i was rejected from MSc Finance :frown:

right now the ranking for me is:

1)Imperial MSc Finance
2)LSE MSc Accounting and Finance
3)Warwick, Junk Cambridge course
waiting on Oxford.

Reasons are that mathematics and quantitative degrees go a long way. Imperial's programme is structured and numerical which will add value beyond a singular brand name. The more i delve into it Imperial> LSE as much as prospective economist doesn't want to hear it, this is especially true at undergraduate level. This is confirmed by what i have heard off recruiters in the UK, they either don't care, or prefer imperial. Also confirmed by Financial Times.

I am not considering working abroad for now so for me it is not an issue. I didn't choose Warwick for reasons to do with prestige with the common people but mainly to do with location and course structure. I am not picking Cambridge just because it is Cambridge, the course i was assigned is crap for me and i was assigned Hughes Hall :frown:

I am waiting on Oxford but will probably firm Imperial once i have worked out how to deal with financing my masters. But first of all i need to visit some of the universities as i have only seen some of them as of yet.
^ I'm afraid you're going to make a huge mistake in choosing Imperial MSc Finance over LSE's MSc Accounting and Finance. But then again, it's how you'll make your degree work out for you, in the end.
I've been reading this thread for a long time now, and just got an offer from Imperial College Today.

I always ranked Imperial better than Warwick in terms of Finance, but surely LSE is the best among the three. However, I got rejected from Warwick last week (also Bath, Edinburgh, Leeds, Bristol) but somehow got an offer from Imperial. This really changes my thoughts...
Original post by cow240

Original post by cow240
ty george for the reply.
I have a University of london 2:1 degree. Am keen to pursue my masters, hopefully somewhere respectable. Do u have any advice on good unis i can try?

I will totally agree with what Kuzell told you. The only thing will add is that you have nothing to loose if you apply in many univ. even if it is really hard to get in. You never know.. You may be selected.. So in my opinion send application wherever you would like to go and when your offers arrive, then you ll have the time to choose the best one :wink:
Original post by Mr. Roxas
^ I'm afraid you're going to make a huge mistake in choosing Imperial MSc Finance over LSE's MSc Accounting and Finance. But then again, it's how you'll make your degree work out for you, in the end.

Didn't you knock me a few weeks ago for saying the LSE brand is superior to that of Imperial's in Finance?
Mr Roxas I doubt that. Have you seen the LSE course structure compared to Imperials? I have also talked to the director of the course and think i might be better suited for the Imperial course. You went for the Mphil economics at Cambridge correct?

Their is so many diehard LSE fans on TSR.....

.... number one fan is prospective economist :smile:

Don't get me wrong i think going to LSE you can't go wrong, but i think i will get more out of Imperial. But i guess as i am in london i will go visit I still havent made my firm choice yet. Yes i did pay the stupid Warwick deposit :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
The only reason why I prefer LSE to the rest (except oxbridge obviously) is because of its international reputation and I am really open to working abroad (as I am bilingual and fluent in a second BRIC language).
I am same as you prospective economist but will NEVER work abroad if i can help it. Once you have enough experience can always do an MBA which i plan to do too.

I would agree though if you are going international with little experience <2 years, LSE would be a much better bet.

One thing that kind of made me want to go to LSE is the slightly cheaper fees and the fact that the course is supposedly less strenuous. Means more time for networking and CFA studies.
Original post by Ineedaplace
I am same as you prospective economist but will NEVER work abroad if i can help it. Once you have enough experience can always do an MBA which i plan to do too.

I would agree though if you are going international with little experience <2 years, LSE would be a much better bet.

One thing that kind of made me want to go to LSE is the slightly cheaper fees and the fact that the course is supposedly less strenuous. Means more time for networking and CFA studies.

Why would you never consider working abroad? It's very tough to land a job at an investment bank in London, so you should be as open minded as possible. I also have the option of working in the M&A department of one of the big 4 companies in one of the BRIC countries as long as I do my masters at LSE/Oxbridge (I interned there and the HR manager in Corporate Finance hadn't heard of any other british universities except those 3 and LBS).
I have an "insurance" invesment banking corporate finance place already but it is tier 2. I am doing the masters for a different reason, so i am totally ruling out working abroad.

Are you going to do croporate finance advisory ?? :s-smilie: The salary at some departments is around 27,000 for EY and your still an accountant with ICAS or ACA..... Or I think so i never looked into it so much.
WTF the Big4 haven't heard of Warwick and Imperial or UCL? This can't be asia
Reply 271
Prospective economist i have a LSE A&F offer. Got it a little while back, it is my 2nd choice as i was rejected from MSc Finance :frown:

right now the ranking for me is:

1)Imperial MSc Finance
2)LSE MSc Accounting and Finance
3)Warwick, Junk Cambridge course
waiting on Oxford.

Reasons are that mathematics and quantitative degrees go a long way. Imperial's programme is structured and numerical which will add value beyond a singular brand name. The more i delve into it Imperial> LSE as much as prospective economist doesn't want to hear it, this is especially true at undergraduate level. This is confirmed by what i have heard off recruiters in the UK, they either don't care, or prefer imperial. Also confirmed by Financial Times.

I am not considering working abroad for now so for me it is not an issue. I didn't choose Warwick for reasons to do with prestige with the common people but mainly to do with location and course structure. I am not picking Cambridge just because it is Cambridge, the course i was assigned is crap for me and i was assigned Hughes Hall :frown:

I am waiting on Oxford but will probably firm Imperial once i have worked out how to deal with financing my masters. But first of all i need to visit some of the universities as i have only seen some of them as of yet.

If u dont mind me asking, what course did u get into in Cambridge????
Mr Roxas I doubt that. Have you seen the LSE course structure compared to Imperials? I have also talked to the director of the course and think i might be better suited for the Imperial course. You went for the Mphil economics at Cambridge correct?

Their is so many diehard LSE fans on TSR.....

.... number one fan is prospective economist :smile:

Don't get me wrong i think going to LSE you can't go wrong, but i think i will get more out of Imperial. But i guess as i am in london i will go visit I still havent made my firm choice yet. Yes i did pay the stupid Warwick deposit :frown:

I have doubts that the MSc Finance at Imperial would offer a better career prospects that the LSE MSc Accounting & Finance especially if you're keeping you options to working internationally. So, unless you dreaded accountancy and you think it's not for you, MSc Finance would be more suited for you then. But then again, career-prospect-wise, the LSE program is a stronger program. Accountancy + Finance = fantastic combination. Again, I am generally talking about the program here. But it certainly won't hurt that LSE has a much stronger brand name internationally too.
(edited 13 years ago)
I won't be working international and dread accountancy work :frown: I am not blazing 40,000+ on masters to end up as an accountant with 60,000 in three years if lucky.

Although your points in international prestige and career options is well taken. I doubt a MSc Finance degree at Imperial would be a hinderance for working at the big four though,
Reply 274
I won't be working international and dread accountancy work :frown: I am not blazing 40,000+ on masters to end up as an accountant with 60,000 in three years if lucky.

Although your points in international prestige and career options is well taken. I doubt a MSc Finance degree at Imperial would be a hinderance for working at the big four though,

that's a pretty fair argument.. just some fruit for thought tho.. would u rate the Finance program at LSE above Imperial.. and If your interested in the quant side of things, why not a drgree like Fin.Math at LSE, or Math and Comp Finance at Oxford..

A&F at LSE doesn't just lead to accounting careers. Sarcasm fail.
I don't have a mathematics undergraduate so it is unlikely i will get into a top mathematics program. I am waiting to hear back from Oxford though.

I haven't considered Imperial MSc Finance vs LSE MSc Finance. Although I guess the LSE courses for A&F and ure finance are fairly different since their is a compulsory module and not many electives taken overall in 1 year. I would have to think about it IF I was accepted, I was rejected from the course though.

MSc Finance offers a broad opportunity spectrum in relation to IM and CF. I think this is ideal for me, I will obtain hopefully the CFA levels while studying and be in a good position for whatever I want to do. Right now leaning towards buy-side//quant.

Very true what prospective economist says.
Reply 277
Lse acconting and finance is a waste of time and money you pay over 20,000 for 6 courses Lol apart the LSE brandname there is no other value..and even when it comes to talk about brandname Imperial is also well-known countrywide and worldwide
For international recognition

You have 1) Oxbridge
and then 2) Imperial-LSE

just check some international rankings like the Times and the QS : Imperial is among the top 10

I confirm what was said above : this forum is overwhelmed by a lot of LSE diehard fan so do not take into account what they said because they are emotionally involved in the topic lol
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Borisvian
Lse acconting and finance is a waste of time and money you pay over 20,000 for 6 courses Lol apart the LSE brandname there is no other value..and even when it comes to talk about brandname Imperial is also well-known countrywide and worldwide
For international recognition

You have 1) Oxbridge
and then 2) Imperial-LSE

just check some international rankings like the Times and the QS : Imperial is among the top 10

I confirm what was said above : this forum is overwhelmed by a lot of LSE diehard fan so do not take into account what they said because they are emotionally involved in the topic lol

All courses are 4 units including the MSc Economics and LLM. I guess they're **** :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 279
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
All courses are 4 units including the MSc Economics and LLM. I guess they're **** :rolleyes:

what course did u get into P.E???
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply