The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Interesting Barca had 61% and 68% possession and still only managed to score 1 more goal. Thats some pretty woeful defending and finishing, even if everything in the middle was pretty special.

Wenger's tactical decisions last night were stranger to say the least. When RVP got sent off, should have brought on Chamakh and Arshavin, just get the midfield to try and give Chamakh some crosses against two CB's who aren't CB's.
(edited 13 years ago)
'Barcelona think they're good, Arsenal scored a goal with no shots on target, that takes serious skill.'
Reply 6402
Right, a significant game is coming up in three days now; anyone care to accompany me in moving on from the past?
Apparently some newspapers are saying that we 'betrayed our style'? WTF?!

Our main playmaker was injured, and whenever we got the ball to Nasri or van Persie they were isolated and being hunted down by like 3 Barca players. Yes we were very poor in possession, but we did not 'betray our style'.
Reply 6404
Why don't people learn that we were forced to play defensively and even if we had walcott, what difference would have that made?

Original post by Abiraleft
Right, a significant game is coming up in three days now; anyone care to accompany me in moving on from the past?

Spot on.
well you all get a bit of rest bite in seeing us fail at home later anyway :sigh:
Fabregas is such a sweetheart for saying it was all his fault on twitter. Stuff like this happens and we have to move on, PL and FA cup were more realistic targets and we should concentrate on them now.
Reply 6407
Original post by sandeep90

Our main playmaker was injured, and whenever we got the ball to Nasri or van Persie they were isolated and being hunted down by like 3 Barca players. Yes we were very poor in possession, but we did not 'betray our style'.

Yeah Guillem Balague said that on the La Liga show afterwards, I was speechless. If anyone thought we were going to go there and play flowing passing football and attack all the time they are crazy, we would've been 4 down by halftime.
Gilluame Ballague is a **** though, so I'm not surprised. He's a sky sports pundit for Christ's sake.
Reply 6409
Original post by Kenan and Kel

had it been Chelsea or United, they would have taken advantage of the situation.

Aye, right :lol:
Original post by jermaindefoe
well you all get a bit of rest bite in seeing us fail at home later anyway :sigh:

Why? AC Milan aren't exactly Barca, I thought you guys were favourites?
Original post by Danny.
Aye, right :lol:

You'll see
Reply 6412
Original post by Kevmeister
The above says a lot about last night's game. Wenger either lied about sticking to his favoured attacking tactics or your team bottled it. I think the truth lies in the middle somewhere, tbph.

Bottled it? There is almost no other way you can play against Barca at the Nou Camp except try to pack the defence. We would be foolish to not try and stop them scoring when we were going through (twice in the game). If you go to the Nou Camp and try and attack alot, you'll be cut in half, look at Madrid (5-0) Sevilla (5-0) Athletico (3-0) plenty of other teams have also had similar losses this season.
Original post by sandeep90

That headline was from Marca though to be fair. A paper exceptionally blinkered and pro-Barca. There is a bit of snobbery and sense of superiority in Spain, especially in Catalonia, about the football they play and the contrast between that and the lowly attempts by the British.

Ah well on to Saturday/Sunday.
Reply 6414
Original post by Abiraleft

Me!.....Valencia is supposed to be back for Utd isn't he? I wouldn't mind if Arsenal played the same side( Song included if fit), it's not like Utd will pressure us so much that we defend desperately.
Reply 6415
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You'll see

I won't.
Original post by Danny.
I won't.

But you just will
Original post by In2deep
Why? AC Milan aren't exactly Barca, I thought you guys were favourites?

maybe, but we all know how bad the spurs crumble can get (cough cough * youngboys*)
Went pretty much as expected. It was a massive shame the game was influenced by the ridiculous sending off...by no means would we be even favourites to have closed the game out with 11 but with half an hour to go, we were ahead and with 11 men we would've had a fighting chance to get through.

The players had mixed games -- Fabregas was awful whereas Wilshere was excellent as usual, but I'm not going to blame any of the players or the manager. Our guys worked very hard and losing 4-3 to quite possibly the best side in recent history is no disgrace. They're a truly brilliant team.

Looking on, I hope the Fabregas injury is not too bad (he might be doubtful for Saturday but I'd rather Ramsey get a go rather than for Cesc to put in a similar performance like yesterday). I hope we can get at least a draw and then take them at our place. And then after the blip, there's 10 games to play in the league and we need to finish very well. Still lots to play for and it's clear where the focus should be.
Original post by jermaindefoe
maybe, but we all know how bad the spurs crumble can get (cough cough * youngboys*)

I know your game, stop trying to reverse jynx the game with your pessimism.

Latest