The Student Room Group

Tonmeister Audition Help

Hi,
I have an upcoming audition for the Tonmeister course at Surrey and I've never had really had to audition before so I'm not sure what the general practice is, would I be better off playing an original composition or a standard piece? If so what songs have people played that got them through an audition?
I play guitar to a pretty good standard, hard to gauge exactly because I have a distaste for the grading system and have always steered clear - something which has come back to haunt me somewhat. Anyway..
Any help would be appreciated
Reply 1
Hello,

I just got an audition to the Tonmeister course and I have no idea what is the best way to perform.
But first things first. I am from Lithuania and they say that if you are not going to audition playing the piano you have to bring your own instrument. I am playing the bass, getting on a plane with a bass guitar and an AMP (maybe) is more difficult and money consuming then going just with the suitcase (Mr. Obvious). Do universities offer any kind of advice in this situation? Maybe the best way is to directly contact the uni? (First TSR then uni :biggrin:)

And if I somehow get the bass to the audition what is the way to perform?
Maybe some of the TSR members would like to help us out if they can?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 2
Ohhhh when is your audition?! I've got mine on 23rd March. Absolutely terrified! I've never performed in front of anyone before. Are you doing to play a whole song? I'd considered just doing little sections of several songs to try and show a variety of the styles I can play in. (Guitar, by the way).

Also, wouldn't they supply the amps? Surely they couldn't expect people to drag them around, could they? I would email them. Unis are pretty good at quick correspondance.
Reply 3
I would also take the 23 of March, but i am afraid I have to let down Surrey. Though the Tonmeister course is attractive. I got an offer from York (actually very happy about it :biggrin:) and I would very much would like to give it a try.

I think you should send them an email and ask about the amps, I doubt that they don't have any, it's a tonmeister course for god sake :biggrin: and i think you should ask them if the audition is mandatory, because i doubt that you will need to play during the course a lot. Good luck with the interview. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Awwh man, I was looking forward to having someone to be terrified with, haha!
Good luck with York though! What course did you apply for there?

Thanks for the good luck, I need it. And I think I'll just play it safe and take my acoustic guitar, that way I don't have to mess about with amp settings when I'm there.
Reply 5
Good choice with the acoustic mate. and the course in York is Music Technology Systems:smile: Actually almost the same as Tonmeister, but i find York more appealing :smile:
Reply 6
Damn! I got the York prospectus but never noticed that course! Looks pretty ace, I hope you get in :biggrin:
I've ended up applying for 2 courses I don't really want to go to, now I wish I'd seen York, ahaha. Pretty much putting all my hopes in the Tonmeister now D:
Reply 7
yeh.. i took lancaster and edinburgh .. the courses suck :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by C. Nworb
Ohhhh when is your audition?! I've got mine on 23rd March. Absolutely terrified! I've never performed in front of anyone before. Are you doing to play a whole song? I'd considered just doing little sections of several songs to try and show a variety of the styles I can play in. (Guitar, by the way).

Also, wouldn't they supply the amps? Surely they couldn't expect people to drag them around, could they? I would email them. Unis are pretty good at quick correspondance.

I'm going with an original composition, just because it's something I know quite well.
They do state on the website that the audition is the least important aspect, they dropped the requirement from grade 8 to 7 this time round.

I interviewed for the course last year and the audition was just in a little piano room with no other equipment in. But if you email them in time they could probably organise something.
Reply 9
Wow, so you're familiar with the whole process of it if you interviewed last year?
How come you didn't go last year?

Is it terrifying? Haha. I expect it to be like Xfactor and they buzz you out if you are not worthy.
Reply 10
Wow, so you're familiar with the whole process of it if you interviewed last year?
How come you didn't go last year?

Is it terrifying? Haha. I expect it to be like Xfactor and they buzz you out if you are not worthy.

Yeah, I didn't get in, I don't have A-Level Maths or Music so I was blagging it from my personal statement. The audition was ok, fairly informal with one guy in a practice room. But obviously my marks in the maths and music theory exam weren't good enough so I didn't get in.

I've done a lot of work on the subjects since but I still doubt I'm up to A grade standard with either and I have an unconditional from York that I'm leaning towards at the moment, but I'm still going to give it a shot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Skatalite
Yeah, I didn't get in, I don't have A-Level Maths or Music so I was blagging it from my personal statement. The audition was ok, fairly informal with one guy in a practice room. But obviously my marks in the maths and music theory exam weren't good enough so I didn't get in.

I've done a lot of work on the subjects since but I still doubt I'm up to A grade standard with either and I have an unconditional from York that I'm leaning towards at the moment, but I'm still going to give it a shot.

Hoping to see you in York ^^
Reply 12

When you say your marks in the music theory exam weren't good enough, how exactly do you mean?
Was it difficult? And what sort of stuff were you expected to know?
Reply 13
When you say your marks in the music theory exam weren't good enough, how exactly do you mean?
Was it difficult? And what sort of stuff were you expected to know?

Well you are expected to have a Grade 5 or higher theory knowledge and I haven't really studied music formally at all. I could do the basic stuff but some of it went over my head.
There's a standard theory test that all the applicants do which was annotating and completing a few bars of a score and listening to a couple songs and answering questions. Then there's the one for people without A-Level music which is all written and a bit more in depth.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it was over a year ago and I can't really remember.
Reply 14
Well you are expected to have a Grade 5 or higher theory knowledge and I haven't really studied music formally at all. I could do the basic stuff but some of it went over my head.
There's a standard theory test that all the applicants do which was annotating and completing a few bars of a score and listening to a couple songs and answering questions. Then there's the one for people without A-Level music which is all written and a bit more in depth.

Sorry I can't be more specific but it was over a year ago and I can't really remember.

Ahh don't worry about it, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply with what you know anyway. Puts me at ease a bit! I haven't got any music qualifications past grade 3 theory so I'm a bit njrejgiuewjgonh about that. You've almost convinced me that I'll do alright though! Hoping I can woo them with my maths and physics results I just got yesterday :biggrin:

Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending