The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Official Nottingham Applicants Thread 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rachel08
Guys I'm so sorry :frown: Particularly seeing as you've been waiting for ages..:console:
What are your other offers?

Ah, it's OK on my part. I was only waiting for Nottingham in the hope they'd give me an AAB offer but I don't think many of such have been given out for Law with Spanish & Spanish Law so it's not a problem.

I firmed UCL, with Southampton as my insurance, last night. Had an offer from QMUL as well, which I felt terrible turning down. :tongue:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by CharleyChester
Loved Nottingham today.

Really have no idea what i'm doing about firming now D:

Which unis are you trying to decide between? :smile: I don't have a clue how to decide where to firm either, I'm terrible at making decisions!
Reply 1542
Original post by bubble11
No there's no difference :smile: They talk about all of the single honours English courses on the day.

Just tried to book the 14th because I can't do 21st. Apparently there are -1 places left? Is this just the system not working? If not, I might not get a chance to visit... :/
Which unis are you trying to decide between? :smile: I don't have a clue how to decide where to firm either, I'm terrible at making decisions!

It's between Nottingham and Lancaster now and i love both :frown: Might just leave it as late as possible to decide...
Reply 1544

It's between Nottingham and Lancaster now and i love both :frown: Might just leave it as late as possible to decide...

:O don't do that!! You won't get your first pick accommodation for either....if you love then both do what I did :smile: flip a coin to decide :smile: :smile:
Original post by Rowan06g
:O don't do that!! You won't get your first pick accommodation for either....if you love then both do what I did :smile: flip a coin to decide :smile: :smile:

Lancaster doesn't open accommodation applications until June anyway and as far as i'm aware Nottingham isn't a first come first serve uni when it comes to accommodation (or at least that is what the lady said today). I don't think it would make much difference either way really when it comes to accommodation.
Lancaster doesn't open accommodation applications until June anyway and as far as i'm aware Nottingham isn't a first come first serve uni when it comes to accommodation (or at least that is what the lady said today). I don't think it would make much difference either way really when it comes to accommodation.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is first comes first serve...

Nah, pretty sure it is. Ask BrenLee in the accommodation thread, he works for accommodation. Real name seems to be Brendan Lee.

You should definitely come! We're cool. :wink:

It is a first come first served thing, so getting an app in asap is advisable :smile:
I know these kind of questions come up constantly, but bear with me please :smile:

How prestigious is Nottingham's politics/IR department? I know the entry req's are high for the courses in IR (AAA) but still Nottingham places quite far down in league tables (15+). It feels like a course with AAA as average offer is one of the more competative in the country and should be top 10-8 at least. I am very confused.

So, to my question:
How prestigious is IR at Nottingham really? Could you compare it to the IR courses at uni's such as Warwick, St Andrews, KCL etc. ? I don't seem to be able to get any clarification on how prestigious the IR course at Nottingham really is.

I have offers from Nottingham (MSci), Sheffield, Edinburgh and QMUL also, so atm I'm trying to decide where to go. I can't really tell which is most prestigious.

Sorry for being a pain in the a** :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Would it really be a good idea to choose a uni on how prestigious it is?
Why don't you visit them and find which ever you like best.
Original post by Wanischa
Would it really be a good idea to choose a uni on how prestigious it is?
Why don't you visit them and find which ever you like best.

I will visit the places before making my decision. The city is a huge factor in my decision aswell. Still, I would feel better if I at least had some vague idea of how these uni's would rank in prestige when talking about Politics/IR.
Reply 1552
Got an offer for Mechanical Engineering but I dnt know if I should choose Nottingham or Birmingham :frown:
Original post by kt92
Got an offer for Mechanical Engineering but I dnt know if I should choose Nottingham or Birmingham :frown:

They were the two I was choosing between for history. Decided on Nottingham after going to a post-offer visit day. Have you been to visit? Cos this might help your decision
Original post by rooky
Just tried to book the 14th because I can't do 21st. Apparently there are -1 places left? Is this just the system not working? If not, I might not get a chance to visit... :/

Don't worry about it - even if it's full they'll probably still register you. I wanted to go to the one on the 2nd but it was fully booked so I phoned up and they just added me to the list. So if you can't book the 14th online just give them a call :smile:

I definitely understand why you can't decide between them because I love both Nottingham and Lancaster too! My decision is between them two and UEA now and it will probably take me til the last minute to decide :s-smilie:
Original post by Wanischa
Actually, I'm pretty sure it is first comes first serve...

Original post by alexs2602
Nah, pretty sure it is. Ask BrenLee in the accommodation thread, he works for accommodation. Real name seems to be Brendan Lee.

You should definitely come! We're cool. :wink:

Original post by Miahrose
It is a first come first served thing, so getting an app in asap is advisable :smile:

I swore the lady who did part of the talk said it wasn't :s-smilie: Oh well. I'll have most likely made a decision by this time next week anyway. I think i'll have to make a big poster for each uni and write the pro's and con's of each and make a decision based on that... maybe? Oh i don't know :frown:

I definitely understand why you can't decide between them because I love both Nottingham and Lancaster too! My decision is between them two and UEA now and it will probably take me til the last minute to decide :s-smilie:

Aha, what have you applied for? Both the courses look really good, both sites are amazing... the only things swaying me to Lancaster at the moment is that their offer is slightly easier to achieve and they're building the brand new sports centre. Then again Notts are in the process of building their new Maths building and have got an amazing array of sports clubs and socs.

I don't know what to do :frown:
Aha, what have you applied for? Both the courses look really good, both sites are amazing... the only things swaying me to Lancaster at the moment is that their offer is slightly easier to achieve and they're building the brand new sports centre. Then again Notts are in the process of building their new Maths building and have got an amazing array of sports clubs and socs.

I don't know what to do :frown:

I've applied for English Lit & Creative Writing :smile: UEA is best for my course but I love Notts and Lancaster so much that I can't stand the thought of turning them both down lol :rolleyes: I wish I could combine all three into one perfect uni :biggrin: I'm sure we'll both be happy with whichever one we pick! And at least we're in the nice position of having offers from unis we really like to choose between, rather than not having any offers from places we want to go to :smile:
I swore the lady who did part of the talk said it wasn't :s-smilie: Oh well. I'll have most likely made a decision by this time next week anyway. I think i'll have to make a big poster for each uni and write the pro's and con's of each and make a decision based on that... maybe? Oh i don't know :frown:

"We allocate by date order so the earlier you apply the better." - from Nottingham website.
I'm afraid, the lady was lying D;

I made pro and con list too.
I think Nottingham won by having 5 times the pro than other uni I applied for.
Reply 1559
Original post by Rachel08
They were the two I was choosing between for history. Decided on Nottingham after going to a post-offer visit day. Have you been to visit? Cos this might help your decision

I've been to Birmingham but I haven't been to Nottingham yet (might go there on the 30th March). Though everyone of my friends who've been told me it was really really nice :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending