The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Brackenhurst Campus

Hiiii, I was just wondering what the travel is like to the Brackenhurst campus from the city, cause I don't fancy living at the campus, and would much rather live in the city itself! p.s I'm doing the geography course (F800).

So basically I wanted to know if you can drive in, if there are buses to the campus and how much they cost, and also how many lectures there are per week. etc...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sinny
Hiiii, I was just wondering what the travel is like to the Brackenhurst campus from the city, cause I don't fancy living at the campus, and would much rather live in the city itself! p.s I'm doing the geography course (F800).

So basically I wanted to know if you can drive in, if there are buses to the campus and how much they cost, and also how many lectures there are per week. etc...

Hi mate,

I'm living on campus. The travel is aright, there is an 'NTU Adult' which is £4 takes you from brack to the city and back, Need to have your student card, I think it only works on the 100, which comes when ever it likes, it's meant to come every 20 minuets. But that isn't always the case. You can drive in, you can get permits from the library for free (to my knollage)... I have about 8 lectures a week. I start at 9am finish around 3pm monday, tuesday and friday. Wednesday's are usually the days off... My degree it it i know others it's not.

Tbh mate, living on campus is actually awesome, internet is pretty temperamental, but there may only be the small lil Brack Bar, its brilliant, got an incredible atmosphere. It's like a really big family tbh, well it feels like it anyway. Really are in the 'sticks' out there... 14(ish) miles away from the city, 1 mile away from the local minster town, Southwell. 7 miles from Newark... So we're dotted in the middle of the countryside... On a clear night the skys are amazing!

I'm doing BSc Wildlife Conservation, :smile:

Hope that's some use to you mate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thanks mate that helped a lot!
Hey Sinny, I see you're going to be doing the Geography course at Brackenhurst next year. I too have an offer for the course F840 (Physical Geography) and live in Peterborough.

Which school do you go to?

I'm planning to live in the city (hopefully mill house accommodation) and catch the 100 bus from Queen Street to get to Brackenhurst (A student travel card for the academic year is about £250).
Reply 4
Hey mate, i go to Sawtry Community College which is like 10 miles outside of peterborough near yaxley and stilton? What about you?
And nice one, have you been to any open days or anything, but have you got any thoughts on the brackenhurst campus? And also i would like to live in the city aswell, and i suppose £250 isn't that bad for a whole year, but its just the thought of having to wake up at like 5 or 6 in the morning to catch a bus at 7 or something. But thats just me being lazy haha.
Reply 5
just so you folks are aware there is a change with bus prices. It used to be that the NCT easy rider bus pass didn't apply to the 100 so you had to pay £3.50 for a return, but now it is inclusive so there's no extra charge. I believe this only applied if you use your NTU smart card as a bus pass(basically take the smart card to the travel centre in town and they'll put the days on that so it works on the scanners on buses).

Also there is now a private company running a Y100 alongside the regular 100. Your bus pass won't work on this and they charge a £3 return. However it seems some of their drivers don't understand their own system and if you show your student card to a Y100 driver most of the time they just let you on for free...:wink:
Reply 6
Original post by Sinny
5 or 6 in the morning to catch a bus at 7 or something. But thats just me being lazy haha.

Aint as bad as all that. You're not going to start lectures before 9 and my course (zoo biology) and animal biology are only 3 days a week, others I know of are similar contact time wise. So say I have lectures at 9, I get the 8:07 bus from outside Victoria Centre (boots). Or if you miss then there's one at 8:27 and depending on traffic/the driver you'll just get there for 9 or a few mins after, most lectures are in a building really near the bus stop so if you leg it and have a lecturer who is often 5 mins late, you'll make it. Though most lecturers are used to people walking in for the first 5-10 mins.:biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by joey11223
:smile:

I just realised, seen your pic in your profile.. I sit a couple seats away from you on a Friday morning in Anatomy And Physiology! :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by jammy66
I just realised, seen your pic in your profile.. I sit a couple seats away from you on a Friday morning in Anatomy And Physiology! :wink:

oh haha! Other side or behind me? You like photography! Nice one, and reptiles..yay!

What modules do we share then? just A&P? I assume wildlife conservation doesn't share too many...I'd guess Ecology and biodiversity? Though there are a few formats of ecology module it seems.
Reply 9
oh haha! Other side or behind me? You like photography! Nice one, and reptiles..yay!

What modules do we share then? just A&P? I assume wildlife conservation doesn't share too many...I'd guess Ecology and biodiversity? Though there are a few formats of ecology module it seems.

Haha, on the other side. Infact its usually next to you, but on the other side ... Umm Im the one with scruffy curley hair! lol. Deffo, photography is the way forward. And reptiles are some of the best animals ever. Usually the one with copious amounts of either caffeine or lucizade.

Erm... i think its just A&P.. Do you have Behaviour on a Friday... Yeah Ecology and Biodiversity are on a Tuesday for me... Yeah it doess!
Original post by jammy66
Hi mate,

I'm living on campus. The travel is aright, there is an 'NTU Adult' which is £4 takes you from brack to the city and back, Need to have your student card, I think it only works on the 100, which comes when ever it likes, it's meant to come every 20 minuets. But that isn't always the case. You can drive in, you can get permits from the library for free (to my knollage)... I have about 8 lectures a week. I start at 9am finish around 3pm monday, tuesday and friday. Wednesday's are usually the days off... My degree it it i know others it's not.

Tbh mate, living on campus is actually awesome, internet is pretty temperamental, but there may only be the small lil Brack Bar, its brilliant, got an incredible atmosphere. It's like a really big family tbh, well it feels like it anyway. Really are in the 'sticks' out there... 14(ish) miles away from the city, 1 mile away from the local minster town, Southwell. 7 miles from Newark... So we're dotted in the middle of the countryside... On a clear night the skys are amazing!

Heyy :smile:

I know you're doing Wildlife conservation but just wondering if you know anything about the Equine Sports Science course? Or about the equine center/ livery there?

xx
Reply 11
Original post by Tally DeBenedictis
Heyy :smile:

I know you're doing Wildlife conservation but just wondering if you know anything about the Equine Sports Science course? Or about the equine center/ livery there?

xx

Hey, sorry for the delay in replying.

Umm, no idea sorry.. I know there are quite a few stables, there is one of the big buildings with sand in, that's all i know abou. I have heard good things about it from people who are doing it! :-).. Plus you get loads of land where you can ride, some great walks, so a great ride too.

:smile: x
Reply 12
Original post by jammy66

Original post by jammy66
Hi mate,

Heya, I'm hopefully starting NTU Zoo Biology or Wildlife Conservation as my second choice so I'm pretty certain to go to Brackenhurst! As you've lived on campus I was wondering if you had insight on the older accomodation, especially Southill House as I know its not in the centre of things? Anything, any opinions or info would be much appreciated!
Reply 13
Original post by Conker1810
Heya, I'm hopefully starting NTU Zoo Biology or Wildlife Conservation as my second choice so I'm pretty certain to go to Brackenhurst! As you've lived on campus I was wondering if you had insight on the older accomodation, especially Southill House as I know its not in the centre of things? Anything, any opinions or info would be much appreciated!

Hey, Awesome WC is excellent :smile:

Yeah i have, and im living on campus next year too, next door to where i am now, which is nice! :smile:

Older accommodation is aright, it's shared toilets/showers but it doesn't look too bad. Southhill not sure on that i have only been once, and i didn't see much of it... but you are sharing rooms and toilets... Being just over the road from brack, don't miss out on anything as its easy to get too... and the same with the older accomidation! :smile:

I am pleased i have en-suite not only because i have IBS but also it's a lot nicer.

I might be a fresher rep for you guys soon, so watch this space! :smile: :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by jammy66

Original post by jammy66
Southhill not sure on that i have only been once, and i didn't see much of it... but you are sharing rooms and toilets...

When I was looking at the description on the website it says Southhill has a 'shower room' I don't understand if this means a room with multiple showers, one shower to the whole house or a shower per person! If you have any knowledge on the shower situation in southhill house that would be great, Its the only thing im not clear on! Thanks for your previous insight btw it'll help towards my decision! :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Conker1810
When I was looking at the description on the website it says Southhill has a 'shower room' I don't understand if this means a room with multiple showers, one shower to the whole house or a shower per person! If you have any knowledge on the shower situation in southhill house that would be great, Its the only thing im not clear on! Thanks for your previous insight btw it'll help towards my decision! :smile:

Ooh right, erm i THINK it means a room with a couple of showers in.. i've never looked tbh!... no problem anytime!
Hey, im hopefully starting wildlife conservation in october and im trying to decide what accomodation to choose, any recomendations would be helpful as i dont know much about the quality of the accomodation :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by InkedDragon20
Hey, im hopefully starting wildlife conservation in october and im trying to decide what accomodation to choose, any recomendations would be helpful as i dont know much about the quality of the accomodation :smile:

im doing wildlife conservation as well.
ive booked the brackenhurst halls :smile:
Aint as bad as all that. You're not going to start lectures before 9 and my course (zoo biology) and animal biology are only 3 days a week, others I know of are similar contact time wise. So say I have lectures at 9, I get the 8:07 bus from outside Victoria Centre (boots). Or if you miss then there's one at 8:27 and depending on traffic/the driver you'll just get there for 9 or a few mins after, most lectures are in a building really near the bus stop so if you leg it and have a lecturer who is often 5 mins late, you'll make it. Though most lecturers are used to people walking in for the first 5-10 mins.:biggrin:

I'm starting zoo biology in october! Do you enjoy it? And are there any books or anything you'd recommend?
Original post by emilyroseeee
I'm starting zoo biology in october! Do you enjoy it? And are there any books or anything you'd recommend?

Yeah it's really good in my opinion. You get given a list of main books they recommend at the start. tbh I haven't read em really this year but one they'll recommend is Campells biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending