The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My Dad emailed me today to ask my opinion on which Android phone to buy. I would be quite chuffed, but the ones he's looking at (Desire and Galaxy S) are better than my phone (Wildfire), which is just depressing really.
Original post by RightSaidJames
My Dad emailed me today to ask my opinion on which Android phone to buy. I would be quite chuffed, but the ones he's looking at (Desire and Galaxy S) are better than my phone (Wildfire), which is just depressing really.

It's time to pull the whole "well you can buy my phone off me and I'll get a new one" ploy :tongue:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
It's time to pull the whole "well you can buy my phone off me and I'll get a new one" ploy :tongue:

Considering that he'd be paying literally double for his contract (mine is ridiculously cheap for no apparent reason) I somehow doubt that'll work :p:
Considering that he'd be paying literally double for his contract (mine is ridiculously cheap for no apparent reason) I somehow doubt that'll work :p:

Always worth a try!
Reply 4264
Original post by G8D
"Android releases and requests"

Well put :mmm:

Galaxy S is an awesome phone, atm I wouldn't even trade it for an iPhone...it's made even better by the XDA support it has. I'd deffo recommend it tbh.

Desire simply because it seems like the easier phone for the masses, the general public seem to love sense, though I was in that boat to till I saw the light :teehee:. The Galaxy S is the better phone but from what I gather you have to do a bit of tinkering to get it to its best.
I've already told him the Desire because of the better build quality (feels metallic rather than plasticky) and because the Galaxy S has had a reputation for bugginess/unreliability, especially with Location. My main reason to post was to complain that my Old Man will soon be technologically more hip than me.
Reply 4267
I've already told him the Desire because of the better build quality (feels metallic rather than plasticky) and because the Galaxy S has had a reputation for bugginess/unreliability, especially with Location. My main reason to post was to complain that my Old Man will soon be technologically more hip than me.

I use my phone as a SatNav every now and again cos most new update have fixed the problems that it had with locations (and yet tbf it did have a lot of problems with locking onto your position).

But yeah if you've already given a recommendation I'll not try to persuade you. :getmecoat:
Original post by bigmo7
I use my phone as a SatNav every now and again cos most new update have fixed the problems that it had with locations (and yet tbf it did have a lot of problems with locking onto your position).

But yeah if you've already given a recommendation I'll not try to persuade you. :getmecoat:

At the end of the day both phones would be an equally good choice, don't get me wrong. The Galaxy S certainly has the advantage of processing power and screen quality, but I'm not too sure either of those are the main concerns for my Dad!
Downloaded Angry Birds last night. :mmm:

Anyone recommend any other games, other than the ones by ?!master?!mini?! ?
Cut the rope is pretty good
Reply 4271
Game Dev Story, Gem Miner, Hex Defense (:sogood:) JetCarStunt, MiniSquadron (:sogood:), Radiant HD, Spaghetti Marshmallow....
Game dev story is super addictive for the first 20 or so hours, I spent up to 3 hours non stop playing it.
Original post by G8D
I've got every star but one.

Fruit Ninja is good, City Jump, Abduction 2, Meganoid will be good when they sort controls, Mr. Runner and Solitaire.

still on box one :king1:

I know how that feels
Defs Abduction 2 =D love it!
I just replaced Cyanogen 7 for my Desire with Miui - anyone played with it at all? I've only just got it on, but so far it seems incredibly polished for a "mere" ROM. Not sure if I like it yet, but it's a very interesting thing.
What do you guys have left and right of your home screen? :teeth:
Original post by spikeymike
What do you guys have left and right of your home screen? :teeth:

Dunno whether you saw this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29961636
Original post by CyclopsRock

Original post by CyclopsRock
I just replaced Cyanogen 7 for my Desire with Miui - anyone played with it at all? I've only just got it on, but so far it seems incredibly polished for a "mere" ROM. Not sure if I like it yet, but it's a very interesting thing.

How is the translations of MIUI so far, last I looked a lot of it was in chinese
Original post by G8D
What do you mean?

Homescreens, what Vlad said. :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending