The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yunghamz

Move on like the rest of us, what's done is done.

Forgive me for not rushing onto TSR to share my thoughts with such an enlightened bunch of football fans straight after the final whistle. You all had a good rant last night reading back, I chose to share my views earlier.
Spurs = Everyones second favourite team.
Reply 6442
Original post by ZizAli
Avoiding defeat at the Nou Camp was always going to be difficult, unlikely and unrealistic. The match last night reminded me of the Harrison v Haye fight, where Harrison attempted one punch in three rounds and got knocked out. I don't mind losing to Barcelona, so long as we admit they are way ahead of us and avoid blaming referees. Although Wilshire played well in the first leg, Xavi and Iniesta are are much better than Fabregas and Wilshire. With regards to the refereeing, if anything, over the 2 legs the ref has been more generous to us. I don't think van Persie really has a case as the shot he attempted after the whistle was clearly one of frustration suggesting he had heard the whistle, regardless his red card was still harsh although he should have been sent off earlier with his attempt on Alves, likewise with Abidal.
The performance from the Arsenal lads was appalling, last year we had a weaker team and we had at least 3 shots I can remember off the top of my head. Wenger's tactics and choices were abysmal.
Bendtner has to move on, the guy is rubbish on the pitch, talks nonsense off the pitch, and is a complete and utter waste of space at Arsenal FC.
The league is the big one, and in my eyes, the only one that matters or ever did matter.
We have had an unbelievably easy run in the FA Cup, but yet we have been taken to replays. We have been knocked out in the Champions League in the first round as a result of being runners up in our group. We had an easy run in the Carling Cup but yet still managed to lose the first leg to Ipswich and the final to Birmingham. This alone suggests one of the worst seasons we've had in the last 6, but due to the poor performances of the other big teams we are still very much fighting for the Premier League.

I continuously set myself up for disappointment, but here we go, come on Arsenal FC, let's see what your made of.

Absolutely correct, despite Arsenal doing relatively well this season they have been far from convincing. Just seen the Arsenal vs Barca statistics massive gulf in class between the teams.
Reply 6443
I do not understand why ANYONE would defend Arsenal's performance from Tuesday. It was a disgrace. What Wenger could have done was at least play relatively defensively, instead of allowing forward plays that NEVER materialized against a defence without two of the world's best CBs.

Rosicky, Diaby, and Fabregas in particular, were disgraceful, as was anyone else apart from Almunia, Koscielny, and Wilshere. Why Wenger still wants the likes of Rosicky, Denilson, and Diaby is just beyond me.

NO ONE CAN BLAME THE REFEREE FOR THE LOSS. 0 shots on and off goal says it all. The people saying we lost because of the referee are obviously the ones who blindly support Wenger, and are satisfied with being second, third, or fourth best each season.

Time for Wenger to go, I'm afraid. I've been saying it since 2008.

Here's a fantastic summary of what I feel, from another guy in the comments section of http://arsenal-mania.com/articles/3110056/Barca-given-an-easy-ride.html

When I speak about Wenger's frailties and how we are not going to win anything substantial under him again, I am called a sad, pathetic Spud loser. I am a Gooner in every sense and I cannot abide gloating at Arsenal. However, the manager's shortcomings are there for all to see; his stubbornness in the transfer market; his rigidity with formations; his lack of tactical nous; his constant complaining, etc.

Referees give poor decisions all the time, and it happens to clubs throughout the world. It's part and parcel of the game. Constantly crying about it on the forum boards isn't going to change that. Wenger does not learn from his mistakes.

I am not bothered by the name-calling I get from the AKBs. What really bothers me is why those who chant Arsene Knows and In Arsene We Trust accept second and third best.

Arsene should write a best-seller called the Greatest Salesman. He sells us his version of the future and too many buy into it. What is the point of getting us into Europe if through sheer arrogance we cannot win our group after getting nine points on the trot against some of the easiest opponents, and falling at the first major hurdle after leading 2-1 by playing negatively? And the irony is that Wenger declares that football should be played in the proper spirit.? Getting us into Europe is merely for profits.

Seems like Wenger already knew his own and our team's mental frailties when he declared that he hadn't thought about the Barcelona match because the league was so important. The man's delusional!

The AKBs will spin the following bull: It's fine that we are no longer in the European Champs because we can now concentrate on the FA Cup and the League. And when the FA Cup hopes disappear, we can then focus on the League; and when League aspirations disappear, we must wait for the January window. So what's the point of playing in Europe if we are just going to make up numbers?

As much as I can't abide some of Mourinho's comments and style, let's admit that he gets certain things right, and one of that is that our Manager is under no pressure to deliver because he has no one to answer to. His is just an experiment to massage his own ego.

That is why he backed out of the question and answer session this season, leaving it to Gazidis. That for me was a telling indictment on his character.

He simply, like our team, hides and shirks his duty when they are called to be accountable and when the pressure is on. If the Manager can't handle the heat from the shareholders, what do you think is the natural outcome of the team made in his image?

I do not hate Wenger. He started off well, but his limitations have caught up with him, and other managers know how to play our team because we are so one dimensional. I pray that we can do something in the FA Cup or the league, not for Wenger's or the team's sake, but for the sake of our long-suffering fans who have to abide by Wenger's delusions of grandeur. But my prayers are in vain- been praying for six years now -even God has quit listening.

Can't even begin to tell you how I will feel if the Spuds go through against Milan and progress even further as first timers. For once, the joke is going to be on us. And well we deserve it. There are too many who keep crowing that we are one of the top teams in Europe.
Now show me a Champions League Trophy. And when did we last win one?
(edited 13 years ago)
^ Seriously, you are a disgrace to all those who support Arsenal.

Who the **** would replace (and do better than) Wenger given the resources at his disposal and the challenge set.

If you can't have any faith in the team you don't deserve to be called a fan, simple as.
Reply 6445
The rest of our season is basically against Manchester United, then. I like that all of our key players have been urging the team to regain focus for what's ahead; something I've been pleasantly surprised with this season is our uncharacteristically strong response to setbacks.
Reply 6446
Original post by marcusmerehay

Original post by marcusmerehay
^ Seriously, you are a disgrace to all those who support Arsenal.

Who the **** would replace (and do better than) Wenger given the resources at his disposal and the challenge set.

If you can't have any faith in the team you don't deserve to be called a fan, simple as.

Firstly, Marcus, grow a pair and quote me. I know I've merked you in previous arguments, but I won't bite.

You see the first sentence of the quote in my post? Yeah, you're the type of "supporter" he is talking about.

If you genuinely think that our performance on Tuesday faith was to our full potential, you are ****ing blind, FACT. Trust me, I've had faith in this team ever since I started watching football in 2002, and I've been through thick and thin.

What I don't have faith in anymore is a minority of the team, Rosicky, Diaby, and Denilson to be exact, and Wenger.

He's been amazing with finances, agreed, but that can be another job. Someone else needs to come in as a manager. Honestly, if Jose Mourinho won the CL with Porto with a bare budget, then there are plenty more wonder-boys, like Wenger in 1996, who could pull the strings for us.

Till you reply, keep on licking his ass. And quote me, pussy.
(edited 13 years ago)
Having Almunia in goal against Man utd is going to end horrifically, after that amazing perofrmance he's due a shocker...
Quote you? Awww, FRIEND. I don't have to quote you.

I have never even considered saying that the performance on Tuesday was 'to our full potential'. For a start Song was injured and Cesc and van Persie played through injury with Cesc having an abysmal game - even though none of us realistically expected us to go through.

You started watching football in 2002? How old are you?

Also, Mourinho didn't exactly have a shoe-string budget with Porto - yes he is a very good manager and took Porto as far as he could get them, but his style is so much more defensive than Wenger's that it doesn't merit even thinking about.
We couldn't defend a 4 goal lead with half an hour left against newcastle so what on earth made Mr wenger think that we could go to the camp nou and defend for 90 mins against arguably the best attacking side in the world? I know as arsenal fans we should stick with our managers and players but its times like this that make you question whether Wenger's stubborness is becoming an obstacle for our team to achieve.

The way wenger reacted to barca's win was disgraceful tbh - we didnt lose because of the ref we lost because we got our tactics wrong and were punished by a much better barca side. I only wish wenger could eat some humble pie and for once give the opponent credit where its due. The referee's decision to send off van persie was ridiculous but we can only blame ourselves. Barca were missing their best 2 CB's and were forced to play busquets in that position yet wenger failed completely to capitalise on that with his tactics. In all my years watching arsenal under wenger Ive never been so disappointed with a loss as i was on tuesday. Im sure the players will be embarassed by the stats and i hope that it wont put any dent in their confidence.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CB91
What the hell are you on about?

I never said anything about United. You said Barcelona were unproven despite them having the best record in Europe over the last 5 years.

:confused:
Original post by T.Adams VI
6 trophies in one season.

Currently have the top three players in the world according to Fifa.

Messi on the verge of winning world player of the year three times in a row.

Messi 47 goals last season. Already on 45 goals this season.

World cup winning team.

etc.

Fifa are biased ***** who hate the English.

Messi is/was playing in an easy league. Messi also has poor performances in Europe.

Barcelona won the world cup? That is news to me. I thought Messi played for Argentina who consequently got knocked out.

Messi is supposed to be "the best player ever etc.." his world cup was absolutely poor. He didn't even score. Usually the true "Greats" lead their team to victory or show some fight. IIRC I just saw him fall over a lot.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6452
Original post by Darth Maul

Messi is/was playing in an easy league. Messi also has poor performances in Europe.

Barcelona won the world cup? That is news to me. I thought Messi played for Argentina who consequently got knocked out.

Messi is supposed to be "the best player ever etc.." his world cup was absolutely poor. He didn't even score. Usually the true "Greats" lead their team to victory or show some fight. IIRC I just saw him fall over a lot.

Just go away :facepalm:

How many spanish first team players are playing for both Barcelona and Spain?

And just remind me how 'prolific' Cristiano Ronaldo was at the World Cup?

And just how well did the English-based players perform in that same competition?

Messi has poor performances in Europe? The idiocy in some people is unbelievable.

Please name me a better player in the world right now? Im interested in hearing who you think is the best...
Reply 6455
JK.
OP
Massimo Busacca has a history of taking the piss on the pitch...

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v19128429G4PXK2w5

Sorry, I mean taking A piss.

:rofl2:

[Arseblog on twitter]

While posting all that nonsense, I see you missed the fact that they won 6 trophies in one season. :yy:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6457
Not sure if this has been posted already: Almuia accuses team-mates of 'walking' against Barcelona

Could be an element of truth there, though I feel it had more to do with Barca's efficiency at shutting us down...
Reply 6458
Original post by JK.
Massimo Busacca has a history of taking the piss on the pitch...

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v19128429G4PXK2w5

Sorry, I mean taking A piss.

:rofl2:

[Arseblog on twitter]

A guy in my work said he's apparently the highest ranked ref in the world? Too which we both :facepalm2:'d. I hope this is not true.
Therein is the problem with ranking referees. It goes to their heads.

Latest