The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Opal Accommodation – Noisy ???

Hi guys,

I’m a second year undergraduate but a ‘mature’ student (only 24) at Sheffield University.

I’m in private accommodation in Commonside now but my landlord is already on my case about signing another contract for next year but at the moment I’m reluctant as I would quite like to move down closer to my department building on Mappin Street.
Anyway enough of my life story...

I’m basically keen on the Opal properties. 1 and 2 are in great locations and are all cheaper than what I’m paying for now.

But I am worried about noise. Having lived in Endcliffe my first year it was driving me nuts. There was only so much Wonderwall at 4am that I could take to be honest.

So what are the opal properties like? Are the walls paper thin?? Do you continuously get woken by drunk freshers singing the back catalogue of Oasis ??? Any experiences would be great..

Cheers

Kris

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Type "Opal 2" into the search field of the specific University of Sheffield forum and the reviews of Opal 2 suggest that noise due to the structure of walls is one of the main complaints.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Peregrinum
Type "Opal 2" into the search field of the specific University of Sheffield forum and the reviews of Opal 2 suggest that noise due to the structure of walls is one of the main complaints.

what about opal 1? Is it the same there?
Reply 3
Original post by tish64
what about opal 1? Is it the same there?

I don't know, I haven't stayed there myself. You should use the search funtion, I'm sure you'll get plenty of reviews and an aswer to your question.
yes yes yes...i've never been in them but I'm from sheffield. The opal places are opposite a club, thats open pretty much every night. It does depend what side of teh building youre on though... x
Reply 5
Original post by Peregrinum
I don't know, I haven't stayed there myself. You should use the search funtion, I'm sure you'll get plenty of reviews and an aswer to your question.

Thank you!
Reply 6
Original post by ellie_flower
yes yes yes...i've never been in them but I'm from sheffield. The opal places are opposite a club, thats open pretty much every night. It does depend what side of teh building youre on though... x

Is that opal 1 you're talking about? I don't know where 2 stay next year now :frown: because i was going 2 go there 4 next year or the pinnacles. Stuck.
Original post by tish64
Is that opal 1 you're talking about? I don't know where 2 stay next year now :frown: because i was going 2 go there 4 next year or the pinnacles. Stuck.

you can always share a house with us...we have a spare room :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by pinkangelgirl
you can always share a house with us...we have a spare room :smile:

Aww thank you! How many bedrooms? and where isit? :smile:
4 bedrooms, in Crookes :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by pinkangelgirl
4 bedrooms, in Crookes :smile:

Is crookes near to the city centre?
Reply 11
Opal 1 in next to Corporation, so it's a bit noisy if you're on the wrong side. I was there in first year. It's nowhere near as bad as Encliffe though.
The walls in all student accommodation is quite thin, but it's never been a problem for me, especially in Opal 2 which I'm in now, because I don't have any loud neighbours. Opal 2 and Aspect 3 (which is very near Mappin Street too and it's excellent) are really really quiet, the most noise you get is maybe once every month or so you hear people talking outside late at night. You can't hear people moving about on the floor above you, and nobody's very loud really in these places, cos it's mostly older students who need to work, or chinese international students who are really rather quiet. In the past 7 months of living here, the only problem I've had with noise is the spanish erasmus student in my flat talking loudly to her friends right outside my door (my door is next to the front door), and the fact that they're always knocking on the flat door for her, which again, I can hear cos I'm right next to it. It doesn't happen that often though, not enough that I've been particularly bothered.
Reply 12
I'm in Opal 1 at the moment, not overlooking Corp, but down the bottom end. Admittedly, it can get a bit noisy at around three, but if you keep your window closed, it's really not too bad at all. Walls are thin, but my flatmates have been pretty considerate for noise. I've certainly not had the issue of overexcited first years screaming all night long, it's been a good place to live.
Reply 13
Original post by pinkpont
I'm in Opal 1 at the moment, not overlooking Corp, but down the bottom end. Admittedly, it can get a bit noisy at around three, but if you keep your window closed, it's really not too bad at all. Walls are thin, but my flatmates have been pretty considerate for noise. I've certainly not had the issue of overexcited first years screaming all night long, it's been a good place to live.

Are you sharing a flat with first years? Can you ask to be put in a flat full of second/third years? I'm considering opal or the pinnacles :-| really can't decide..
Reply 14
Original post by tish64
Are you sharing a flat with first years? Can you ask to be put in a flat full of second/third years? I'm considering opal or the pinnacles :-| really can't decide..

I'm with two third years and a masters student. I think they try and match you up with people at similar stages of their degrees if possible :smile:
Reply 15
I'm with two third years and a masters student. I think they try and match you up with people at similar stages of their degrees if possible :smile:

Aww ok thank you :smile:
I don't know what to do :frown: Opal 1 or the pinnacles which do you think?
Reply 16
Original post by tish64
Aww ok thank you :smile:
I don't know what to do :frown: Opal 1 or the pinnacles which do you think?

I don't think Devonshire Green can be beaten for positioning - loads of shops, couple of supermarkets nearby, a short walk to most University or Hallam buildings, and a 5 minute walk into the city centre. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the railway station myself, its so easy to get everywhere from Dev Green
Reply 17
I don't think Devonshire Green can be beaten for positioning - loads of shops, couple of supermarkets nearby, a short walk to most University or Hallam buildings, and a 5 minute walk into the city centre. I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the railway station myself, its so easy to get everywhere from Dev Green

You are so right :smile: plus, Opal is cheaper.. Hmm i think i've made my decision.. Do you like living in Opal then?
Reply 18
Original post by tish64
You are so right :smile: plus, Opal is cheaper.. Hmm i think i've made my decision.. Do you like living in Opal then?

Definitely, it's been the best accommodation during my time at uni - was in Victoria Halls in my first year (not bad, but not as roomy as Opal), and a student house in Broomhall in my second year (absolute nightmare). The staff are really good here as well, very friendly, and sort out problems quickly :smile:
Reply 19
Definitely, it's been the best accommodation during my time at uni - was in Victoria Halls in my first year (not bad, but not as roomy as Opal), and a student house in Broomhall in my second year (absolute nightmare). The staff are really good here as well, very friendly, and sort out problems quickly :smile:

Really? :smile: I'm in viccy Halls now I love the location here.. Would you say it's expensive there? Like do you ever get any maintenance problems?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending