The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medicine Applicants 2011 :D

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1360
Original post by ryan118244
I was reading the Dundee course and they get to go to Malawi for 4 months in an exchange programme.

http://medblogs.dundee.ac.uk/dundeemimp/about-2/

But I was also reading how St Andrews was the uni that set it up:

http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/malawi/index.aspx

So do St Andrew Medics get to go on this exchange programme???

Going to Malawi in June to do charity work! :biggrin: Can't wait! They seemed very interested in it at interview, probably because they themselves are very involved there too
Reply 1361
Original post by Quackers93
I wondered about this too, but I didn't know if it was an exchange programme and I was going to ask about it at interview but ran out of time :frown: I'm thinking they might just be linked with this college of medicine rather than have exchange but thats only from website :tongue: hopefully it would be exchange though :smile:

That would have been such a good think to bring up in interview ... I wish I have known it before I was interviewed.
Would be so cool ... though we could do it if we went to Dundee for the clinical years.

Original post by KCosmo
Going to Malawi in June to do charity work! :biggrin: Can't wait! They seemed very interested in it at interview, probably because they themselves are very involved there too

Oh wow that's soooo cool!!
How did you manage to get that?
Had my interview today... thought it went quite well :smile: Let's hope my UKCAT score doesn't weigh me down :frown:
Original post by lola1993
Had my interview today... thought it went quite well :smile: Let's hope my UKCAT score doesn't weigh me down :frown:

Hey same here, When did you have your interview!? (PM me if you worry about your identity being found out!)

I think mine went really well :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: the 2 gentleman interviewing me seemed happy and were engaging in what I was saying. Not sure what my chances are with my grades and the fact I'm a graduate though...
Also the new medical school looks amazing :biggrin: and the staff seem really friendly and approachable. Excited.
Reply 1365
Original post by baztech
Hey same here, When did you have your interview!? (PM me if you worry about your identity being found out!)

I think mine went really well :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: the 2 gentleman interviewing me seemed happy and were engaging in what I was saying. Not sure what my chances are with my grades and the fact I'm a graduate though...

Sounds like you had a good interview. That is exactly what I felt like, not sure whether my grades are good enough either which is quite frustrating!!

The med school is amazing, by far the best I've seen!!

Is St Andrews your top choice?

I think mine went really well the 2 gentleman interviewing me seemed happy and were engaging in what I was saying. Not sure what my chances are with my grades and the fact I'm a graduate though...

I SO remember you! Had the interview at the same time as me! What you told me matches up with your application choices.
I was the english one who has the impy interview next week, and was discussing the NHS reforms before the interview and you told me they weren't happening in Scotland...:tongue: I clearly had done my research :wink:
Mine was pretty nice too :biggrin: Which would make a rejection even harder to deal with...
Out of interest, how long did you talk about the article for? I swear they asked me two quick questions on it, which can't have taken more than five minutes, then they moved on to general hobbies and stuff.
good luck anyway :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Sounds like you had a good interview. That is exactly what I felt like, not sure whether my grades are good enough either which is quite frustrating!!

The med school is amazing, by far the best I've seen!!

Is St Andrews your top choice?

If you have reached the interview stage, I would say it is pretty certain that your grades, plus your general application is good enough. That's what I've been told by interviewers and the Dean at HYMS last year.
Reply 1368
Original post by Carter BSc
If you have reached the interview stage, I would say it is pretty certain that your grades, plus your general application is good enough. That's what I've been told by interviewers and the Dean at HYMS last year.

True but because St Andrews weigh the academics up (worth 50%) after the interview you may have got selected for an interview based on meeting the min entry requirements, good PS and good UkCat before the interview but may not get an offer as academics are worth more than the interview. Though it's all speculation I suppose.
Reply 1369

Oh wow that's soooo cool!!
How did you manage to get that?

My school have ran the project for the last couple of years, it's awesome! We're going to build new classrooms and help mary's meals etc. I need to raise about £1500 though, but I'm planning a big fundraiser soon :biggrin: Not shabby at all for a state school! :tongue:

On another note, I was just perusing the st andrew's website where I saw :

"Each of the four areas of assessment is given a different weighting;
Academic performance: 50%
UKCAT: 15%
Personal statement and reference: 15%
Interview: 20%

Offers are then made from the top of the ranking in relation to the number of places available. The majority of offers are not made until mid March."

Mid March is pretty soon, but by the looks of last years thread, it'll probably be late March, even the 30th or 31st :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
those stats make me sad :/
i only got minumum grades, (below?)average ukcat...my ps is pretty rubbish and my interview wasn't anything special
:frown:

idohgowsaremftwkehgtde.
Reply 1371
Original post by KCosmo
My school have ran the project for the last couple of years, it's awesome! We're going to build new classrooms and help mary's meals etc. I need to raise about £1500 though, but I'm planning a big fundraiser soon :biggrin: Not shabby at all for a state school! :tongue:

On another note, I was just perusing the st andrew's website where I saw :

"Each of the four areas of assessment is given a different weighting;
Academic performance: 50%
UKCAT: 15%
Personal statement and reference: 15%
Interview: 20%

Offers are then made from the top of the ranking in relation to the number of places available. The majority of offers are not made until mid March."

Mid March is pretty soon, but by the looks of last years thread, it'll probably be late March, even the 30th or 31st :tongue:

That's actually really good!!! Top class state school!!
Our school did something like that for Ghana ... but we had to pay like £900 to go on it :0

I know ... Im getting impatient though!!! Really not ling though, like 2 weeks :/
Reply 1372
Original post by atomos
those stats make me sad :/
i only got minumum grades, (below?)average ukcat...my ps is pretty rubbish and my interview wasn't anything special
:frown:

idohgowsaremftwkehgtde.

I bet your grades are really good!!
So, I think that in almost two weeks we'll find out the results :-?
Reply 1374
Original post by dariadaphne
So, I think that in almost two weeks we'll find out the results :-?

Hopefully!!
Original post by Anterior view
How many offers have they given out anyway?

I don't think anyone knows for sure, since surely not all those with offers have posted it on TSR ... :frown: But I don't think they were that many until now :smile: Much more are still to come :smile:
Reply 1376
Original post by dariadaphne
I don't think anyone knows for sure, since surely not all those with offers have posted it on TSR ... :frown: But I don't think they were that many until now :smile: Much more are still to come :smile:

Definitely, they say on the website that the majority of offers are given out at late march :smile:
Hopefully. we'll hear some positive results :biggrin: I really liked the town and the whole atmosphere :biggrin: I'd really like to spend my next three years there :smile:
ALthough the course is good there will also be people who prefer the big city unis etc due to the remoteness of st andrews

Well, I am from a small town myself, so this is the atmosphere I am used to and which I like, a place where everyone knows each other, so it wouldn't be a problem for me :smile:
Reply 1379
Do you have an offer yet?

I wish!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending