The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Solent 2011!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Seriously, ignore all the bad comments about Solent. Im in my first year and its nice!
All the lecturers are friendly and helpful (in my faculty anyway). Its closer to the town, (nothing that you need or want - well for me anyway - is more than a 30 min walk away), and its got good facilities. Lots of clubs to join too.
Best halls are Lucia Foster. Yes its an extra 5 mins away from the uni than the other halls, and yes its not en suite, but ive never had to wait for the toilet or a shower. Its the biggest halls too, so loads more people, its a 2 min walk from the cinema, theres a spoons pretty much opposite too.

Dont listen to the bad comments, as no one at Solent has slated it, its the UoS students that do it, and they dont go here so they cannot have an honest opinion about it.
The only things they can come up with is that its 122nd in the league whereas Soton is 2nd or whatever (Does it really matter?!) and that its for idiots and people who couldnt get the grades, its not, im not an idiot, and pretty much everyone i know here are not idiots either, we're here for the course. Not the university rankings.

So yeah, base your decisions on good comments (from people who have actually experienced it) or none at all.
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
Reply 21
I have made Southampton Solent my firm choice.

Will be studying Business Studies next year. Embrace me Soton! :cool: :biggrin:

Any more Welshies? :sheep:
Reply 22
Anyone had an interview for Fashion at Solent? Absolutely bricking it as i LOVE Solent and its definitely going to be my firm choice if they give me an offer, if they dont i'm screwed because i only wanna go there :frown:
Reply 23
I've accepted my offer at Solent for Popular Music and Record Production :smile:
Reply 24
Yaay! I've been given an offer from Solent for Fashion Design!! Definitely going to put it as my firm choice
Reply 25
i have a conditional offer for television and post production. anyone else applied? i cannot wait!
Had an unconditional offer for Computing, already accepted. Anyone else doing BSc (Hons) Computing?
Reply 27
Original post by wheatley2k9
Had an unconditional offer for Computing, already accepted. Anyone else doing BSc (Hons) Computing?

I am. But you already know me :biggrin:
i got a unconditional for games development so far its between this and kingston just need to decide now
Reply 29
Are you guys staying in halls? If so which one are you thinking of applying for?

I'm split between which building to be in xD
Reply 30
For me it will probably be LFW. I don't really see the point in en-suite rooms and they are expensive. And! More important, LFW is close to the harbor ;].

Which ones are you doubting about?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Appeltree
For me it will probably be LFW. I don't really see the point in en-suite rooms and they are expensive. And! More important, LFW is close to the harbor ;].

Which ones are you doubting about?

I was thinking LFW or Chantry :confused:
Reply 32
I was also doubting between those two and well, tbh I don't think there's that much of a difference.

Chantry is corridor and LFW is flat but I kinda forgot the difference. However, if I recall it correctly, flat is separate spaces and corridor is well, no separate spaces. Not sure on that one though.

LFW is a lot bigger so I'd say that it gives you more chance of meeting people which is a plus to me.

Another thing I like about LFW is the fact that it's closer to the harbor which means it's closer to the boats/yachts *I'm sort off addicted to sailing* but also to, if I remember correctly, lots of outgoing facilities including two cinemas a few restaurants and clubs. There was a name for the place but I forgot.

If I were you I wouldn't bother that much about the looks of everything, I mean, you're only going to use it for sleep/study right? I reckon your social life shouldn't be totally inside your room. However, I do prefer the rooms of chantry over those of LFW, they don't look as cheap and even though they seem a bit smaller, the look more complete.

Have fun deciding :biggrin:
Reply 33
Haha thanks :biggrin: Am I right in saying that with a conditional offer I have to wait until I get my results then Solent will contact me about accomodation?

The Chantry corridor thing makes sense as I have seen a few pictures and it looks like its just long corridors of rooms :P LFW was my first choice but just keeping my options open ^^
Reply 34
You're welcome :biggrin: though I have to say I'm not studying there myself, yet;]

But yes, you're right about that. Was wondering about it too but I send them an email and they told me that the university will send you some sort of package with information etc. when you're accepted onto your course.

You do realise that chantry and LFW have shared bathrooms he? *did I already say that :smile:?*

Anyways, good luck!
Reply 35
Glad I wasn't the only one puzzled on that issue.

Yea I realise they are shared but it doesn't really bother me :smile:
Original post by Lauramacp
i have a conditional offer for television and post production. anyone else applied? i cannot wait!

I have Oh my gosh I cant wait either. seriously it looks so much fun :smile:
Original post by BanoffeePie
Ignore them! I promise you it's a great course, am in my second year and am loving every minute of it, have got some great work experience through the uni and have gained a lot of contacts that will go on to help me in the future. Solent may not be that great for other courses, but it hasn't let me down for TV Prod yet! The first year is just an introduction to everything but the second year gets really intense and a lot more hands on.

Thanks thats really Helped :smile: i Accepted it as my first choice about a week ago. I loved the uni even before i applied for UCAS so i thought it would be silly to turn down their offer. I cant wait :smile: x
been offered a place at solent for writing fashion and culture any one else doing this course?
I just want to know what the current students think of it as it's a choice between here and some where else and I'm super confused :s-smilie:
Original post by naomijayde`
been offered a place at solent for writing fashion and culture any one else doing this course?
I just want to know what the current students think of it as it's a choice between here and some where else and I'm super confused :s-smilie:

I know the lecturer (she's an old family friend) and she's lovely and the course looks fantastic. I'm doing Multimedia Journalism in September but dithered between the two and had a good look at the course. Fantastic staff, great city etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending