The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Opal Accommodation – Noisy ???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tish64
Really? :smile: I'm in viccy Halls now I love the location here.. Would you say it's expensive there? Like do you ever get any maintenance problems?

It's pretty reasonable for what you're getting really - you do get a few more facilities than Viccy Halls (there's a nice common room with a pool table and Sky tv), and of course you don't have to pay bills. Internet is still with Ask4 as well. Weirdly, it's worked out as pretty much the same as what I paid last year for an absolute wreck of a house, after gas and electric, it's so much better here. As for maintenance, only issue I've had is a light going in the bathroom, and they sorted that in a few hours, very impressive! Apart from that, they gave me a new mattress when I moved in, and they've regulated the water supply (there were a couple of gremlins at the start of the year, but nothing disastrous), there hasn't been any other need for them to get involved really. The room inspections are a bit less Nazi-tastic compared to Viccy Halls as well
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 21
Original post by pinkpont
It's pretty reasonable for what you're getting really - you do get a few more facilities than Viccy Halls (there's a nice common room with a pool table and Sky tv), and of course you don't have to pay bills. Internet is still with Ask4 as well. Weirdly, it's worked out as pretty much the same as what I paid last year for an absolute wreck of a house, after gas and electric, it's so much better here. As for maintenance, only issue I've had is a light going in the bathroom, and they sorted that in a few hours, very impressive! Apart from that, they gave me a new mattress when I moved in, and they've regulated the water supply (there were a couple of gremlins at the start of the year, but nothing disastrous), there hasn't been any other need for them to get involved really. The room inspections are a bit less Nazi-tastic compared to Viccy Halls as well

aww what kind of gremlins?:frown: oo are they? Thank god:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by tish64
aww what kind of gremlins?:frown: oo are they? Thank god:smile:

Nothing too serious, the hot water was a bit erratic. They soon had it sorted, nice toasty showers every morning now!
Reply 23
Nothing too serious, the hot water was a bit erratic. They soon had it sorted, nice toasty showers every morning now!

Aww ok then.. yeah i'm having problems here with the hot water, they fixed it and they keep fixing it but it keeps going back cold again.. :frown:
Did you get your deposit back from here? (vic halls)
My sister lived in Opal 2 and she said it was really noisy and the walls are very thin.
Reply 25
Original post by Anita B. Studin
My sister lived in Opal 2 and she said it was really noisy and the walls are very thin.

What year was she in when she lived there? I heard opal 2 was quiet.. Everyone seems to have different views
Original post by tish64
What year was she in when she lived there? I heard opal 2 was quiet.. Everyone seems to have different views

1st year and it was only last year. She said she could hear her roommates having sex nearly every night haha.
My sister lives in Opal 2. I stayed with her for a few days and contrary to what people seem to think, it's just as noisy/sociable as the others :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by tish64
Aww ok then.. yeah i'm having problems here with the hot water, they fixed it and they keep fixing it but it keeps going back cold again.. :frown:
Did you get your deposit back from here? (vic halls)

The vast majority of it, I think. I think I had to end up paying £7 or something like that, certainly nothing major
Reply 29
Original post by Anita B. Studin
1st year and it was only last year. She said she could hear her roommates having sex nearly every night haha.

ohhh noo.. Thats awful!
Reply 30
The vast majority of it, I think. I think I had to end up paying £7 or something like that, certainly nothing major

Thats really good! :smile: i'm dreading how much will get taken out of mine
Reply 31
Original post by ktlaurenroe
My sister lives in Opal 2. I stayed with her for a few days and contrary to what people seem to think, it's just as noisy/sociable as the others :smile:

Aww ok then.. :smile: thank you.
Reply 32
Original post by tish64
Thats really good! :smile: i'm dreading how much will get taken out of mine

Just be thorough when you clean out the place at the end of the tenancy, might be worth taking photos as well to provide evidence if you think they're being unfair. They're really not ogres at Viccy Hall (unlike some horror stories I've heard from Unite, for example), so as long as you give everything back pretty much in the same state as you got it, they won't complain too much
Reply 33
Just be thorough when you clean out the place at the end of the tenancy, might be worth taking photos as well to provide evidence if you think they're being unfair. They're really not ogres at Viccy Hall (unlike some horror stories I've heard from Unite, for example), so as long as you give everything back pretty much in the same state as you got it, they won't complain too much

Yeah.. You're right.. I hear bad stories about unite.. Really bad ones..
im living at opal 2 atm moment and i'd say its pretty noisy. the walls are ridiculously thin, i can hear the ppl in the rooms next to me opening their drawns and scraping their knives and forkes on their plates. The doors in the halls (to the hall and the kitchen) are really heavy too so it's not unusual to be woken up when anyone else gets up in the morning (or at night) and goes into the kitchen. There isn't too much noise from the courtyard most of the time, but they seem to spend an hour mowing the grass from 7am every few weeks and randomly decide to spend an hour moving the bins around (on bin day and any other day they choose) and stupid times in the morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending