The Student Room Group

Discrimination against those who can't/don't drive

What are your feelings on this?

Does anybody else feel that this exists for some courses/jobs?

You can't realistically do many health related courses that require you to go to placements can you?
You can't really do a PGCE because you could be sent on placements that are miles away.

Not to mention jobs. Also discriminates against poorer students who really can't afford lessons or to keep doing tests.

Its not advisable to put off learning though, as it gets harder as you get older and they will probably only ever make the driving test harder not easier.

Scroll to see replies

public transport.
Reply 2
Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers
public transport.

It can at times be literally impossible if the place is in middle of nowhere or very, very far.

Also, peak time train fares just aren't affordable.
Reply 3
Some jobs that require you to be at places and they may offer a company car, how is that discriminating. Just stick to public transports or taxi's
Reply 4
Original post by Spexzzz
Some jobs that require you to be at places and they may offer a company car, how is that discriminating. Just stick to public transports or taxi's

You'd have to have a licence in the first place though. And as for placements?
Reply 5
Original post by Elissabeth
You'd have to have a licence in the first place though. And as for placements?

Well you usually have to fit the requirements before going for a job or placement, driving is essentially the same as a qualification, but it gets you places literally. Thats like saying you need at least 5 GCSE at grade A to get into this Uni is discriminating.

Most people have to learn sometimes, so might as well start now, getting private practice wont cost you money, just the test which is ยฃ62

Wont some placements re-reimburse you for travel costs anyway?

I have a friend who wanted to do a apprenticeship with British Gas, but they had a requirement of a level 3 diploma in plumbing and a driving license, essentially they would of given him a british gas van to drive, but he couldnt because he didnt have a license.

Yeah, its not fair but they need you to go different places, their are other people who have the same qualification but with a license. Its competition, and if you dont have the edge then you loose out.
It can at times be literally impossible if the place is in middle of nowhere or very, very far.

Also, peak time train fares just aren't affordable.

a car is quite expensive in itself, after paying for lessons, theory and practical tests you have to then buy the car, insure it, tax it, pay for running costs and then pay more tax on those running costs.

the affordability argument just isn't valid..
Even more annoying for people like me, who can't drive because we're not allowed to. DVLA will not let me have a license, so I'm never going to be able to drive, not a case of I can learn if I need to.
Reply 8
You can extend that mentality to everything.

I am being discriminated against because I was born slower than most, and am not allowed to compete at the olympics for my country.
I am being discriminated against because I was born with less inherent motivation than most, was not able to train to be faster, and am now not allowed to compete at the olympics for my country.
I am being discriminated against because I was born with a pessimistic outlook on life, could not fathom the motivation, was not able to train to be faster, and am now not allowed to compete at the olympics for my country.

I am being discriminated against because I couldn't get off my ass and learn to drive/could not afford lessons.

I am being discriminated against because I am dumber than that guy and he got the job.

Life is unfair, deal with it.
Original post by TheSownRose
Even more annoying for people like me, who can't drive because we're not allowed to. DVLA will not let me have a license, so I'm never going to be able to drive, not a case of I can learn if I need to.

Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 10
hmm well thats true in a way, but most people do pass their test eventually, most people can afford a cheap car and most people can get insurance eventually so...most people can do most jobs. A few can't, but thats the case for everything in life (as people above me pointed out).

Why?
Reply 12
civ eng jobs definitely "discriminate"
Im on weekly placements (yes i know im first year), and getting around is tough by bus. But its manageable. Sure it means a 6am start as opposed to an 8:30 one with a car, but early mornings never hurt anyone? Well.. yeah.. :P
Original post by Botticello
Why is that, if you don't mind me asking?

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Why?

A particular kind of migraine that makes it dangerous for me to drive - quick onset and, by the time I realise, I won't have control of the car anymore.
A particular kind of migraine that makes it dangerous for me to drive - quick onset and, by the time I realise, I won't have control of the car anymore.

Ahh life sucks for you
You can't really do a PGCE because you could be sent on placements that are miles away.

Two of my teachers don't have licences.
<Snip>

Quit your belly aching, have you heard of this new thing called public transport? take a bus or train, even in peak times train prices are cheap... max I havae had to pay is 10 going from Falmouth to Plymouth and back.... really not going to break the bank.
Reply 18
What are your feelings on this?

Does anybody else feel that this exists for some courses/jobs?

You can't realistically do many health related courses that require you to go to placements can you?

Not to mention jobs. Also discriminates against poorer students who really can't afford lessons or to keep doing tests.

Its not advisable to put off learning though, as it gets harder as you get older and they will probably only ever make the driving test harder not easier.

Well driving *is* essential for some jobs, and as noted above it is kind of like another qualification (albeit one that can be quite expensive to obtain)...

It's a bit inconvenient not having a car for placements but it doesn't mean you can't do the course... other people will have cars, there is public transport (to an extent) - my medical school tries to make sure that our placements are within a certain travelling time away by public transport and if not then you are accommodated nearer the placement.
Reply 19
If this is discrimination, I don't know what isn't.

Clearly a job which requires you to drive isn't for you if you can't/don't drive yourself. As for placements, I know plenty of healthcare students who can't drive who are quite capable of hopping on a train and living in hospital accommodation.

The cost issue of public transport is a mute point. Have you seen the price of petrol lately? Insurance is going up, cars need to be taxed and MOTed every year, and then of course are the costs of general servicing. With public transport you don't even need to pay for parking. Living by the bus/train operators timetable is annoying but public transport is by no means expensive compared to running a car. The only reason I work 12 hours a week in conjunction with my uni course is because I want to keep my car on the road.

Some things just aren't suited to some people. ****ing deal with it.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest