The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmz
erm, i read quite a fair amount in the interview book, researched about research glasgow uni was involved (ended up talking about those), developed an opnion on ethical stuff and had bbc news as home page (last two turned out pointless)

I had a suit too :biggrin:

Never got the interview book, thinking I probably should have know :s-smilie: Apart from that my research was pretty much the same, though I was asked about recent medical news I had come across.

(I hope we're allowed to discuss interviews now :tongue:)
Reply 1461
Original post by Harbour Seal
HEY LEAVE US SMOKERS ALONE. :wink:

I bought a lot of books surrounding the medical school application process and interviews, plus loads of notes on the Glasgow one in particular... I also wrote up a list of things they like to hear and what it is they're looking for. Things like course details and prospectus clippings. My personal statement and things I edited from it so it would fit into the limit. Also bought the Very Short Introduction to Ethics so I could have a gander at how medics theorise things when it comes to IVF, organ donation etc and was given very helpful pointers in that respect.

I also read stuff outside of that to research my career: Trust me, I'm a junior doctor, the man who thought his wife was a hat, which are both personal memoirs, as well as the spirit level and bad science by ben goldacre, which outline healthcare in a wider context (things like poverty and misinformation). I also did a few interviews with doctors/med students and jotted a good few notes and printed off e-mails from them.

My careers advisor lent me two books, one of which I already had the updated version of, and emailed me a list of questions they tend to ask.

I can't not study for an interview. I do tend to go overboard :smile:

IT'S ALL PACKED AWAY NOW. Apart from the outside books :smile: I'm a reader, can you tell...

If you're hot, smoking's okay :wink:
You read all of that :eyebrow: you don't really work in starbuck do you :tongue:
I read the course description and most of the isc medical book, looked thru couple of sites :sigh:

i'm more of a last minute person, tho to be fair i had about 10 days to prepare
Reply 1462
Original post by Lost Time
Never got the interview book, thinking I probably should have know :s-smilie: Apart from that my research was pretty much the same, though I was asked about recent medical news I had come across.

(I hope we're allowed to discuss interviews now :tongue:)

everything they asked me was from the book, it was good for basic informations like EWTD, Advantages to PBL, timeline on becoming a doctor

Read trust me i'm a junior doctor and where does it hurt?....after the interview

I was given a choice if i wanted to talk about recent news, or an ethical topic or a research, i knew the research much better than anything else so...
Original post by dmz
If you're hot, smoking's okay :wink:
You read all of that :eyebrow: you don't really work in starbuck do you :tongue:
I read the course description and most of the isc medical book, looked thru couple of sites :sigh:

i'm more of a last minute person, tho to be fair i had about 10 days to prepare

REMEMBER THIS NEXT TIME YOU ORDER YOUR LATTE THAT YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL BARISTA IS NOT A ****ING MORON. :P

I've also started eyeing up the medical textbooks in the library... I cracked one open a while ago and spent two hours reading away. Sigh. I love books. I LOVE BOOKS. <3

I wouldn't worry about it, I know I overprepared for Glasgow, but only because I'm so desperate for the offer as if I have to take another year to apply it may **** up my life plans a bit...
Reply 1464
REMEMBER THIS NEXT TIME YOU ORDER YOUR LATTE THAT YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL BARISTA IS NOT A ****ING MORON. :P

I've also started eyeing up the medical textbooks in the library... I cracked one open a while ago and spent two hours reading away. Sigh. I love books. I LOVE BOOKS. <3

I wouldn't worry about it, I know I overprepared for Glasgow, but only because I'm so desperate for the offer as if I have to take another year to apply it may **** up my life plans a bit...

I don't go to cafe's :tongue:, though i like them :dontknow:

I have a book on anatomy i bought in my college book sale for 10p :lol: (not opened it in two months :colone:)

I can't blame you tbh, i'd do the same if i was capable of it, but i get so freaking bored, just tried to get it together so i don't screw up but they only asked what i knew luckily
I'm hungry ...
Reply 1466
Original post by G550NDH
I'm hungry ...

:cookie:
Reply 1467
Original post by Ayamma
i deferred entry but jst wanted to say i got an offer yesturday......i'm not a international student. Now to get those grades.

Maybe it's re apps next?
Good luck!
HEY LEAVE US SMOKERS ALONE. :wink:

I bought a lot of books surrounding the medical school application process and interviews, plus loads of notes on the Glasgow one in particular... I also wrote up a list of things they like to hear and what it is they're looking for. Things like course details and prospectus clippings. My personal statement and things I edited from it so it would fit into the limit. Also bought the Very Short Introduction to Ethics so I could have a gander at how medics theorise things when it comes to IVF, organ donation etc and was given very helpful pointers in that respect.

I also read stuff outside of that to research my career: Trust me, I'm a junior doctor, the man who thought his wife was a hat, which are both personal memoirs, as well as the spirit level and bad science by ben goldacre, which outline healthcare in a wider context (things like poverty and misinformation). I also did a few interviews with doctors/med students and jotted a good few notes and printed off e-mails from them.

My careers advisor lent me two books, one of which I already had the updated version of, and emailed me a list of questions they tend to ask.

I can't not study for an interview. I do tend to go overboard :smile:

IT'S ALL PACKED AWAY NOW. Apart from the outside books :smile: I'm a reader, can you tell...

snap! :tongue:

though I did feel that the title "medical ethics - a very short introduction" was slightly misleading :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ayamma
i deferred entry but jst wanted to say i got an offer yesturday......i'm not a international student. Now to get those grades.

congrats!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by danman14
snap! :tongue:

though I did feel that the title "medical ethics - a very short introduction" was slightly misleading :rolleyes:

Yes, THAT was a complete lie... the writing was ****ing tiny!
Yes, THAT was a complete lie... the writing was ****ing tiny!

I thought it was great. Gave me a good base upon which to form a reasonable opinion on lots of situations. Well worth the time I spent reading it, and interesting too. It's not a topic that can be summarised easily.
Whats happening at the minute? Many offers or rejections coming through?
Original post by dougmul51
Whats happening at the minute? Many offers or rejections coming through?

At the moment, as I understand it, they are issuing offers to internationals/deferred entry applicants and they are going to start getting back to the rest of us on Monday. No idea if this is completely correct though.
At the moment, as I understand it, they are issuing offers to internationals/deferred entry applicants and they are going to start getting back to the rest of us on Monday. No idea if this is completely correct though.

Ohh Monday is super close, the full weekend to prepare myself :frown: lol Thanks for letting me know :smile:
Reply 1475

i thought the admissions lady said that we will hear back at the end of the month, and any other particular date that is nothing but a rumor :confused:

EDIT: I got neg reped for this??? .... people these days....
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by teafil
i thought the admissions lady said that we will hear back at the end of the month, and any other particular date that is nothing but a rumor :confused:

As I said, I'm not completely sure what I said is correct, but on New Media Medicine someone withdrew their application (due to offers elsewhere) and they got an email back from Glasgow which withen it said that they'd start getting back to us on the 14th.

No idea why they included that when he was withdrawing his application, so not sure how reliable this is. Fingers crossed it's true!
Reply 1477
Original post by teafil

As I said, I'm not completely sure what I said is correct, but on New Media Medicine someone withdrew their application (due to offers elsewhere) and they got an email back from Glasgow which withen it said that they'd start getting back to us on the 14th.

No idea why they included that when he was withdrawing his application, so not sure how reliable this is. Fingers crossed it's true!

i called today and she said now till end of March. She probably included international and everyone else but i told her my interview was in December and she said i can call for my verdict if there's nothing on ucas so definitely finding out on monday. Really worried now :sad:
Reply 1478

I'm rooting for you, good luck!
Original post by dmz
i called today and she said now till end of March. She probably included international and everyone else but i told her my interview was in December and she said i can call for my verdict if there's nothing on ucas so definitely finding out on monday. Really worried now :sad:

So wait, they will be getting back to us between now and the end of March (that's a long period!), however if you want to you can phone on monday to find out your result (or is that just you?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending