The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beccibell
I am now reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro!! It is brill so far!!! Eeek! I can't wait to finish reading it!! :smile:

I'm also reading this on recommendation of a friend. It's pretty boring at the minute, the author keeps alluding to things that the reader doesn't understand yet and to be honest, it's not really piquing my interest enough to keep reading and find out what these mysterious things actually are!

However, I never (well, rarely) put a book down... so onward I plod.
I've just started 'The Luxe' by Anna Godbersen. It's really good so far, especially as I love books set in the past.

I also just finished rading 'The Island at the End of the World'. That is one weird book! It was really good until the ambiguous ending!
Just finished reading 'Hothouse Flower' by Lucinda Riley. A friend bought me it for christmas and i wasn't sure at first, but when i got into it, it was really good. It had a somewhat predictable ending but i would have been disappointed if it didn't end that way.
Reply 9403
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella - I know it's not exactly intellectual, powerful or deep writing but I've got a pile of extra reading to do on lexicalization and some chick lit is perfect to calm down my tired brain!
Original post by Symph
The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella - I know it's not exactly intellectual, powerful or deep writing but I've got a pile of extra reading to do on lexicalization and some chick lit is perfect to calm down my tired brain!

Loved that when I read it during last summer for a bit of easy reading. Really good! :biggrin:
The Dorothy Sayers mysteries at the moment-I'd never even heard of them before =s and the copy of Whose Body I have is all nice and yellow and old smelling. Mmm old book smell >.<
Also Shadow of the Wind and I've got Cloud Atlas lined up next-heard so many good reviews about it!
Reply 9406
Original post by metjush
Right now:
Still reading Thoreau's Collected Essays, finished all but the last one (Life Without Principle)
Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, did 300 pages in two days, totally loving it
Salinger's Nine Stories, just started yesterday, read the first one (Banana Fish), it's awesome...

i LOVED Kafka on the Shore, it is really an incredible book, and one that I can always go back to. Have you read any other Murakami? There's a film adaptation of Norwegian Wood being released later this month, quite curious to see what it's like!
Original post by juju
X

Original post by MelissaJayne
X

Original post by Kayeffsee
X

AHEM, please have the courtesy not to discuss the endings of books without using spoiler tags first.

Sorry to go all grumpy grandma on you in particular - there will have been and will be people who do the same thing - it's just that having spoiled for myself the ending of Jude I didn't want the same thing for Tess. Anyway, I'll stop pissing you off/ making you feel bad :tongue:

just my two cents

PS. to everyone else: If you don't want the endings of Jude the Obscure/ Tess of the d'Urbervilles given away, then do not click the above posts!
Reply 9408
The 10,000 Year Explosion: How Civilization Accelerated Human Evolution.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/e3465a8a-19e1-11e0-b921-00144feab49a.html
Original post by xCHiiBiEverlastingx
AHEM, please have the courtesy not to discuss the endings of books without using spoiler tags first.

Sorry to go all grumpy grandma on you in particular - there will have been and will be people who do the same thing - it's just that having spoiled for myself the ending of Jude I didn't want the same thing for Tess. Anyway, I'll stop pissing you off/ making you feel bad :tongue:

just my two cents

PS. to everyone else: If you don't want the endings of Jude the Obscure/ Tess of the d'Urbervilles given away, then do not click the above posts!

I'm still reading it! I didn't want it spoilt either :frown:
Life of Pi
The book of laughter and forgetting- Milan Kundera
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I'm really loving it at the moment.
Reply 9413
Original post by Johnny 5
I'm actually reading about four. The pressures of work mean that I actually haven't finished any of them.

This!
I am currently reading
- the third lord of the rings
- the mabonogion
- the canterbury tales
- wolf brother (lol)

and the first three are really boring! Yet I feel I should read them for their contribution to literature. I've been reading that LOTR one for about a year and I've only read 3 chapters -.- they're so slow going!! I read Pride & Prejudice faster than that... I even read Macbeth faster than that!
Reply 9414
Just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, looking to find a cinema where I can watch the film this weekend.
Starting Atonement by Ian McEwan now. Read On Chesil Beach and was utterly blown away, I hope this will be just as good. Watched the film before reading the book this time round!
Oblomov by Goncharov and a collection of short stories by Kipling.
Original post by elstevens
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I'm really loving it at the moment.

Another Hardy fan! Brilliant
1984 (for the bajillionth time *yawn*), The Mosquito Coast, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, The Bloody Chamber and Therese Raquin for course reading.

And One Day for pleasure. Or... I intend to start it tonight, in any case. Finished Never Let Me Go last night.
Original post by Paramore<3

Original post by Paramore<3
Just finished Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, looking to find a cinema where I can watch the film this weekend.
Starting Atonement by Ian McEwan now. Read On Chesil Beach and was utterly blown away, I hope this will be just as good. Watched the film before reading the book this time round!

Both brilliant. Read Norwegian Wood very recently.

Atonement is much better than Chesil Beach, you're in for a treat.
I'm reading Earthly Powers by Anthony Burgess and doing a re-read of Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland, which is one of my favourite books of all time.

Latest

Trending

Trending