The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pete_Lawton
Yeah but Stalin's plans resulted in the implosion of an entire country, AFC isn't going to financially implode any time soon.

I feel the metaphor still holds weight :smile:
Original post by Colonel.
I feel the metaphor still holds weight :smile:

I don't disagree with the notion that Wenger has a long plan in his head for the club and has had since his arrival, that's certainly true.
Original post by Pete_Lawton
I don't disagree with the notion that Wenger has a long plan in his head for the club and has had since his arrival, that's certainly true.

And he makes bad deals with Kazakhstan.
Arsenal football club is a business. The board care only about profit. They only indirectly care about trophies as they may mean prize money, or more fans, which will lead to increased tv revenue and merchandise and ticket sales. They do not directly care about us winning. Get over it.
I think the United fans would only have a club left to (sit in their arm chair and watch on tv) support if they get some sort of undeserved bailout following seasons of irresponsible spending.

I can't think of another club as properly run as Arsenal in the top tier of the top flight. Spurs come close, but are aided somewhat by Levy's inexplicable and infinitely deep pockets...
If Wenger was at any other big club, he'd have been shown the door by now. There's no pressure on him to deliver trophies because they're in a strong position financially. And yeah, that's great. But three years down the line when Jack "ARSENAL DNA" Wilshere doesn't have any winners medals, I don't think he'll care what the quarterly reports look like.
Original post by RobbieC
I think the United fans would only have a club left to (sit in their arm chair and watch on tv) support if they get some sort of undeserved bailout following seasons of irresponsible spending.

I can't think of another club as properly run as Arsenal in the top tier of the top flight. Spurs come close, but are aided somewhat by Levy's inexplicable and infinitely deep pockets...

To think I could have put that £20 donation money towards a ticket to watch Man United, or failing that, actually buy a Stockport County ticket :colondollar:

J/K. Good luck with the marathon, not long now! Enjoy :wink: :colondollar:
Original post by RobbieC

Original post by RobbieC

Irresponsible spending? Like what? Debt repayments?
BTW, going tomorrow or "sitting in your arm chair and supporting"
There's actually a place called "Old Trafford" where you can go and watch Manchester United play? Wow, I always thought that games were played inside a TV/inside a laptop and when they weren't on TV/inside a laptop they didn't actually happen.
Original post by Mastermind`
There's actually a place called "Old Trafford" where you can go and watch Manchester United play? Wow, I always thought that games were played inside a TV/inside a laptop and when they weren't on TV/inside a laptop they didn't actually happen.
Not to patronise Salim, but have you been before for more than the +1 tour.

White Haired Wizard... I like you more when you were nasty.

Rory, irresponsible transfer spends over the past decade have included all manner of crap: Job, Djemba Djemba, Bebe, Smalling, [Carrick and Berbatov (overpriced)] and then there's all sorts of Veron-esque types like Forlan.

Like Liverpool and Chelsea substantial pot-luck spending has been rife.

While Arsenal have their own flops, they were far less costly on a fiscal level.
Reply 6530
I hate the armchair supporting argument. Obviously. Bull****
Original post by RobbieC

Rory, irresponsible transfer spends over the past decade have included all manner of crap: Job, Djemba Djemba, Bebe, Smalling, [Carrick and Berbatov (overpriced)] and then there's all sorts of Veron-esque types like Forlan.

While Arsenal have their own flops, they were far less costly on a fiscal level.

Who or what is Job? You clearly mean FOB :smug:
Original post by RobbieC

Yes, I have. There are many reasons I don't go to matches, the main being money. Funnily enough, I've never been for a tour at OT. There are Arsenal fans who post in here who live in Manchester/Chesire/Scotland -- what do you think of them? Armchair fans?

By Job I assume you mean Joseph Desire-Job who played for Middlesbrough, not Man Utd. Djemba Djemba cost £3.5m. Too early to judge Bebe/Smalling, one looks terrible, the other a bargain. Carrick wasn't overpriced, Berbatov was overpriced but being Man Utd no one will sell a player for a universally agreed value. Forlan cost £6.9m (it's perhaps just the media surprised at how he didn't do well in England after his stint in Spain, but he didn't cost much), Veron was a flop but half of his value was recouped.

I'm not really fussed about the prices of players as long as they do the business and I trust SAF to sign the player at a price that is valuable. No one can have a 100% success rate with players, whether it's £3.5m or £35m. More often than not, how much you're willing to spend on players will reflect on the league table.
Reply 6533
Original post by Mastermind`
Yes, I have. There are many reasons I don't go to matches, the main being money. Funnily enough, I've never been for a tour at OT. There are Arsenal fans who post in here who live in Manchester/Chesire/Scotland -- what do you think of them? Armchair fans?

I've been to a highbury and emirate tours, and 3 matches btw. Even met all the staff (Pat Rice is amazing) and the players :daydreaming: :colone:

I'd also add that Smalling looks quality :yy:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Tucking Fypo
I don't think he'll care what the quarterly reports look like.

I hope you know where actually making a loss? Now imagine if Wenger listened to everyone's advice, and went and spent.
Reply 6535
JK.
OP
£10mil on Smalling was a risk, but you can certainly see why, if you had the funds available, it would have been one worth taking. I think the fact that we were prepared to bid the same as United says enough about that transfer and whilst it might still be early days, Smalling is showing he could well be a very good investment. The Bebe deal however was a bit of a joke, really. Paying the best part of £7.5mil, or whatever it was, for a player you've never seen (unless SAF was perhaps at the homeless WC), who, 5 weeks prior to his signing, signed on a free for a decent, but by no means great Portuguese side, is frankly ridiculous. The fact that he couldn't even get into the reserve side at the start of the season speaks volumes and from what I've actually seen of him, he's been utter ****.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6536
McGregor rumours are getting stronger up my end :hmmm:

Despite not playing in the Europa League, he was still on the bench though.
Original post by R-KAM
McGregor rumours are getting stronger up my end :hmmm:

Despite not playing in the Europa League, he was still on the bench though.
Please do not discuss your end in this thread ffs :colonhash:
Reply 6538
Original post by RobbieC

Original post by RobbieC
Please do not discuss your end in this thread ffs :colonhash:

Go back to Spain you tramp :colonhash:
Original post by T.Adams VI
I hope you know where actually making a loss? Now imagine if Wenger listened to everyone's advice, and went and spent.

You did make a loss, but you're still in good shape. I think the main reason you even made a loss was because you didn't sell a major player (unlike previous seasons).