UKL Psychology Society (UKL PsychSoc)

Scroll to see replies

hi! :biggrin: i'd like to join!

Original post by gummi_bears
Ooh! Can I join?
I'm taking IB Psychology and have received all my offers for Psych as well
:biggrin:

pleasepleaseplease?

hey there, i'm taking IB psych too :biggrin: what do you think of the course?
oh, and what unis did you apply to?
Reply 1541
Original post by pink giggle
hi! :biggrin: i'd like to join!

You have been accepted :biggrin:
Original post by Katie_louise
You have been accepted :biggrin:

thank you! :smile:
oh, and i'm pretty sure you helped me out with my ps before i applied, so huge thanks for that! :biggrin:
Can you give some feedback about this essay about "Illlustating the Bystander Effect"?

Thank you
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s the social phenomena characterized by the lack of action by someone, in a situation of emergency, when there are other people present.
The murder of Catherine ‘Kity’ Genovese triggered psychology research into this phenomena also known as ‘Genovese’ Syndrome. Catherine Genovese was stabbed in two separate occasions and she screamed for help, however, no one reacted except some neighbours during the first attack. The murderer walked away and minutes later, he came back, found her crawling on the stairs and stabbed her to death. The neighbours were described by the press as unhearted people indifferent to someone’suffering. However, after several research it was clarified that uncertainty, and not indifference, is what might make the neighbours show a bystander behaviour.

Latane and Darley found several factors wich conform the bystander effect. The neighbours, despite, the newspaper claim, were not aware of the homicide and they thought someone else must have already called the police so they did nothing causing a dissolution of responsability. Another factors like the nature of the situation (at night, when people is less willing to help, the possibility of it being a lovers’ quarrel), cost of helping ( of it was a real danger, neighbours were afraid of becoming involved, if it wasn’t they would been shouted and look silly) justify the absence of responsability.

Another case involved a 18 years old switchboard operator who was raped in her office but she mananged to escape to the street and screamed for help. The 40 persons watched her struggle with the rapist who tried to drag her back upstairs.

Unlike the Genovese case, this time, the bystanders could see each other and therefore, looked for clues to analyse the danger of the situation, as everybody remained clam the situation was considered harmless (pluralistic ignorance). Other factors like the nature of the victim ( a woman and a male struggling might suggest that they are partners) and the nature of the situation ( it appears a fear of looking silly at inverning and being shouted to mind your own business) confirm that help is not necessary.

Another case was the one in wich a 18 years old boy was stabbed and left bleeding to death. This time the cost of helping was higher than normal even with the attackkers gone as no one wanted to be involved with someone who had been stabbed for fear to attract attention upon themselves also. Besides, there is no sense of gultiy since a train wagoon with around thirty passengers all those who do nothing are equally guilty and no one will point at a single individual and consider him the culprit.

The stages that lead one person to help another might be more complex than we thought. Factors seemingly ordinary as the nature of the victimm or the cost of helinpg are really important for the individual. Besides, seeing the bystander behaviour as a common phenomena in our society, we might end up thinking that altruism does not exist as most of our actions seem selfish.
As empathy decreases every day and we no longer see our neighbours or the person beside us close to us but as strangers of unknown intentions, it was a matter of time that evaluating the risks of helping someone on their looks was regarded afar more prudent than taking responsability and some risks along with it.
A helpful behaviour requires from the individual that his understanidng of the others can beffectively put into practice through a sense of care an responsability of them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Can you give some feedback about this essay about "Illlustating the Bystander Effect"?

Thank you
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s the social phenomena characterized by the lack of action by someone, in a situation of emergency, when there are other people present.
The murder of Catherine ‘Kity’ Genovese triggered psychology research into this phenomena also known as ‘Genovese’ Syndrome. Catherine Genovese was stabbed in two separate occasions and she screamed for help, however, no one reacted except some neighbours during the first attack. The murderer walked away and minutes later, he came back, found her crawling on the stairs and stabbed her to death. The neighbours were described by the press as unhearted people indifferent to someone’suffering. However, after several research it was clarified that uncertainty, and not indifference, is what might make the neighbours show a bystander behaviour.

Latane and Darley found several factors wich conform the bystander effect. The neighbours, despite, the newspaper claim, were not aware of the homicide and they thought someone else must have already called the police so they did nothing causing a dissolution of responsability. Another factors like the nature of the situation (at night, when people is less willing to help, the possibility of it being a lovers’ quarrel), cost of helping ( of it was a real danger, neighbours were afraid of becoming involved, if it wasn’t they would been shouted and look silly) justify the absence of responsability.

Another case involved a 18 years old switchboard operator who was raped in her office but she mananged to escape to the street and screamed for help. The 40 persons watched her struggle with the rapist who tried to drag her back upstairs.

Unlike the Genovese case, this time, the bystanders could see each other and therefore, looked for clues to analyse the danger of the situation, as everybody remained clam the situation was considered harmless (pluralistic ignorance). Other factors like the nature of the victim ( a woman and a male struggling might suggest that they are partners) and the nature of the situation ( it appears a fear of looking silly at inverning and being shouted to mind your own business) confirm that help is not necessary.

Another case was the one in wich a 18 years old boy was stabbed and left bleeding to death. This time the cost of helping was higher than normal even with the attackkers gone as no one wanted to be involved with someone who had been stabbed for fear to attract attention upon themselves also. Besides, there is no sense of gultiy since a train wagoon with around thirty passengers all those who do nothing are equally guilty and no one will point at a single individual and consider him the culprit.

The stages that lead one person to help another might be more complex than we thought. Factors seemingly ordinary as the nature of the victimm or the cost of helinpg are really important for the individual. Besides, seeing the bystander behaviour as a common phenomena in our society, we might end up thinking that altruism does not exist as most of our actions seem selfish.
As empathy decreases every day and we no longer see our neighbours or the person beside us close to us but as strangers of unknown intentions, it was a matter of time that evaluating the risks of helping someone on their looks was regarded afar more prudent than taking responsability and some risks along with it.
A helpful behaviour requires from the individual that his understanidng of the others can beffectively put into practice through a sense of care an responsability of them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't want to sound like an automaton, you can be critical by pointing out the fact that the Genovese is largely misreported, in that many individuals did in fact report the incident. The textbook excepts are largely based in news stories which were later shown to be inaccurate. Despite this, the tale has become a staple in most social psychology textbooks.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
If you don't want to sound like an automaton, you can be critical by pointing out the fact that the Genovese is largely misreported, in that many individuals did in fact report the incident. The textbook excepts are largely based in news stories which were later shown to be inaccurate. Despite this, the tale has become a staple in most social psychology textbooks.

Thank you, God. I actually noticed that. Something else I should do? Don't restrict yourself as say whatever you have to.:smile:
Reply 1546
Thank you, God.

:rofl:
:rofl:

Read my essay please.
Read my essay please.

:facepalm:
Reply 1549
can this group help me with a psychology skype project i want to test out?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1515252
Reply 1550
Hi Psycsoc! :hello:

Question for you- do any of your universities have a mental health awareness week?
Hi Psycsoc! :hello:

Question for you- do any of your universities have a mental health awareness week?

I checked it but they only had mental awareness day and they give some lectures to promote mental awareness.

Spoiler

I think I should liven up the thread with a question. What are your special area of interest and are some of you going to continue psychology as a career? :holmes:
can i join? (:
Reply 1554
Original post by emmakh123
can i join? (:

Done :biggrin:
Can anyone (that does Psychology obviously :P) join this? If so can I? :smile:

I have to agree with you all, it's ridiculous how everyone chooses it for the easy option - there is no way it is an easy A Level, I find it easy because I find it interesting, but my class apart from about 3 people are rather thick at times -.-, and it is just so annoying :/ Argh! :P
Hey, I'd like to join please :smile:
Huh.. Apparently I'm a 'Deputy Group Leader' for this society..
Reply 1558
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Huh.. Apparently I'm a 'Deputy Group Leader' for this society..

Can't handle the responsibility? :tongue:
Can't handle the responsibility? :tongue:

I dunno what it's about, tbh. As far as I can tell it gives me no powers.

Quick Reply

Latest