The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R-KAM
Go back to Spain you tramp :colonhash:
And you once said I was really nice, now... only abuse ffs.

And I was nice to you when you had flu fmfl :colonhash:
Original post by JK.
£10mil on Smalling was a risk, but you can certainly see why, if you had the funds available, it would have been one worth taking. I think the fact that we were prepared to bid the same as United says enough about that transfer and whilst it might still be early days, Smalling is showing he could well be a very good investment. The Bebe deal however was a bit of a joke, really. Paying the best part of £7.5mil, or whatever it was, for a player you've never seen (unless SAF was perhaps at the homeless WC), who, 5 weeks prior to his signing, signed on a free for a decent, but by no means great Portuguese side, is frankly ridiculous. The fact that he couldn't even get into the reserve side at the start of the season speaks volumes and from what I've actually seen of him, he's been utter ****.

The Bebe deal is eyebrow-raising, I admit. It's very strange for SAF to sign him without having ever seen him play and many questions are already being asked. But Bebe is someone who has gone from being homeless to playing infront of 70,000 people. Wasn't playing in the reserves at first because of endurance levels, according to SAF, but he says they've been impressed with his ability, especially his finishing (2 goals in 7 from the wing isn't so bad), has scored a decent goal or two in the reserves. If he wasn't good enough I think he'd be rotting in the reserves, like Tosic did. And I don't think SAF would risk him in cup/league matches just for the sake of proving people wrong (though he also could). I don't think playing on the wing is his position, was signed as a striker and Fergie has earmarked him as a striker. Playing him on the wing seems to be SAF trying to educate him rather than an indication of where he'll play in the future (but it's probably making him look worse than he is), kind of Walcott right now though he has improved. Could also say SAF was prepared to sign him because he trusts his scout (have had decent-ish success in Portugal-based players).

He is completely raw, I'd say he needs time, maybe a year or two befure fully judging, not sure if he will make it.
Reply 6542
JK.
OP
Having read that last line first and the main bulk of the post after, I was just gonna comment on the apparent likeness to Walcott. :colondollar:

From what you've said I guess it's a bit more understandable, that goal against the Wigan reserves was pretty tasty, too. Weren't quite a few eyebrows raised when he signed Ronaldo? The scouts clearly did a decent job there, as well as with Nani, so you can see where the trust comes from, but £7.5mil worth of trust in this situation is still very questionable.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6543
Possibly the game of the season tonight. :excited:
Reply 6544

:love:
Original post by Tucking Fypo
You did make a loss, but you're still in good shape. I think the main reason you even made a loss was because you didn't sell a major player (unlike previous seasons).

That's the point. We are not in a position to buy players, without selling our best players.

No other manager would be able to achieve what Wenger has done, given the resources he has available.

But of course some idiot is going to post some crap saying Wenger had £50m to spend last summer.
Original post by JK.
Having read that last line first and the main bulk of the post after, I was just gonna comment on the apparent likeness to Walcott. :colondollar:

From what you've said I guess it's a bit more understandable, that goal against the Wigan reserves was pretty tasty, too. Weren't quite a few eyebrows raised when he signed Ronaldo? The scouts clearly did a decent job there, as well as with Nani, so you can see where the trust comes from, but £7.5mil worth of trust in this situation is still very questionable.

You probably subliminally saw "Walcott" :colonhash: :colonhash:
Our modern record against United is shameful. It's a real joke and we can't just let them boss this because they're at OT. Our away fans will be outsinging theirs anyway and I can't believe the ref screws us three games running.

Do we know if Song is going to make it? I think he's pretty vital to counter Mr. Antifootball.

I think we'll have a good battle going on between RVP and Vidic and hopefully Arshavin can turn up for a whole game. I honestly find it incredibly hard to predict this result... in any direction, but hopefully it's an exciting one.
Original post by RobbieC
Our modern record against United is shameful. It's a real joke and we can't just let them boss this because they're at OT. Our away fans will be outsinging theirs anyway and I can't believe the ref screws us three games running.

Do we know if Song is going to make it? I think he's pretty vital to counter Mr. Antifootball.

I think we'll have a good battle going on between RVP and Vidic and hopefully Arshavin can turn up for a whole game. I honestly find it incredibly hard to predict this result... in any direction, but hopefully it's an exciting one.

He has been ruled out according to the Arsenal website. Man Utd are not like Stoke anyway. If they go in hard they actually try to play the ball rather than just to kick the player :colonhash:.
Original post by Mr Smurf
He has been ruled out according to the Arsenal website. Man Utd are not like Stoke anyway. If they go in hard they actually try to play the ball rather than just to kick the player :colonhash:.
with the undeniable exception of Dr. Antifootball.

He's been doing it for several years now, and thus I have awarded him a doctorate in being Antifootball.

The least he deserves, alongside untimely death and the rape of his family.
Rob ffs :rofl2: :rofl:
Reply 6551
Original post by RobbieC

He's been doing it for several years now, and thus I have awarded him a doctorate in being Antifootball.

Darren Fletcher has made the 157th most fouls this season, a total of 17, picking up 2 yellow cards. "Anti-football".

Alex Song is unquestionably a dirtier scrote, making the 10th most fouls this season, a total of 45 (well over twice as many), and has picked up double the amount of yellow cards. I presume you want some *insert generic distasteful 'joke'* to happen to him as well?

Fletcher has played in more games.

Suppose you'll hide behind wumming now, seeing as the truth doesn't back you up?
Original post by JK.

Clubs do need to give players time. Nani was pitiful for the first year or two but over the last 18 months he's been excellent for us - really turned a corner and the transformation has been pretty dramatic. So if it's happened for Nani, it could potentially happen with someone as raw as Bebe. I hope so because 7.5 million isn't small change tbh.
Original post by RobbieC

You deserve to be tortured, physically and mentally, for the entire London Marathon. Saying such untruths about Fletch, shame on your white ass.

Fletcher is a very honest player ffs.

:colondollar:
Original post by Louis.
Darren Fletcher has made the 157th most fouls this season, a total of 17, picking up 2 yellow cards. "Anti-football".

Alex Song is unquestionably a dirtier scrote, making the 10th most fouls this season, a total of 45 (well over twice as many), and has picked up double the amount of yellow cards. I presume you want some *insert generic distasteful 'joke'* to happen to him as well?

Fletcher has played in more games.

Suppose you'll hide behind wumming now, seeing as the truth doesn't back you up?

This of course is on the assumptions that all fouls are equally judged. We all know about the United bias the refs have here in the EPL.

Song commits a lot of fouls yes, but they are mostly innocent or tactical. Fletcher on the other hand is reckless most of the times.
Reply 6555
Original post by In2deep
This of course is on the assumptions that all fouls are equally judged. We all know about the United bias the refs have here in the EPL.

Song commits a lot of fouls yes, but they are mostly innocent or tactical. Fletcher on the other hand is reckless most of the times.

Poorly disguised. Nearly put a "but of course it's the refs fault" in my post but decided against it. If you were being serious, the vast difference between them can't be explained on the basis of possibly biased refs anyway.

Fletcher isn't reckless, far from it. Neither is Song. Can't recall any leg breaking challenges from either of them, they both make the fouls a ball winning holding(ish) player does, except Song makes a lot more.
Reply 6556
Original post by Beneb

Must-win game today, I really think whoever wins it gets a huge psychological boost for the league.

Just imagine the moral of the team if we lose out today... 2 weeks, we exit the League Cup, the Champions League, and the FA Cup. Urgh, such a horrible thought.

Wenger better get his tactics right for once today. Here's hoping Aaron Ramsey starts instead of Tomas idontknowwheretopassthisballto Rosicky and the clueless Denilson.

Original post by Beneb
TSR - where failing to quote someone when replying results in attempted intimidation tactics and childish name-calling.

Lolwut. How does Wenger's ass taste like? You and marcusmerehay must know it pretty well by now.
psychological boost, eh.

Arsene and his psychology. He should be teaching psychology given how keen he is to talk about ze mental strenff and ze psychological damidge to his players over the last week.

Anyway, bring it on. Had a horrible week at work and I need this kind of game as tonic for me :cool:

How many goals are you going to lose by then, folks? :wink::colondollar:

Seriously. And be honest.
Somehow I got unsubbed to this. :colonhash:

Not sure what team AW will go for later, though I've a feeling Ramsey will be on the bench rather than starting. I'm going to predict:

Almunia

Sagna Kos Johan Gibbs

Diaby JW

Bendy Sami Fatty

Robin
Original post by white_haired_wizard
psychological boost, eh.

Arsene and his psychology. He should be teaching psychology given how keen he is to talk about ze mental strenff and ze psychological damidge to his players over the last week.

Anyway, bring it on. Had a horrible week at work and I need this kind of game as tonic for me :cool:

How many goals are you going to lose by then, folks? :wink::colondollar:

Seriously. And be honest.

Given that we only lost 1-0 at OT in the league (to a slightly fortuitous goal at that) there is no reason for us to believe we can't take a result.

So kindly be quiet. :h:

Latest