The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What's it like to be a student at liverpool...

Hey

Is it possible for any current university of liverpool students to give some comments on general student life at the uni?? Whether resources & facilities are good?? And about their experiences in general

I'm trying to understand more about liverpool to help me make a decision.

Thanks!!
:smile:
*subscribe*
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Magick
Hey

Is it possible for any current university of liverpool students to give some comments on general student life at the uni?? Whether resources & facilities are good?? And about their experiences in general

I'm trying to understand more about liverpool to help me make a decision.

Thanks!!
:smile:

I'm about to start my third year so I'll give you a run down of my experience so far.

1st year - scary at first, especially living in halls (Carnatic) but I found living there really great and they do look after you. I found getting used to university really easy - it is a big transition from A-level but you'll be told straight away what's expected of you. No slackers! Your lecturers might seem intimidating but they're great if you have a problem - you'll find that you're more likely to email them than see them face to face when you're not in lectures. Resources and facilities, well, I can only speak for my department (SACE) but being a good uni, they are not 'lacking' in anything. The library and computer services are brilliant.

2nd year - Your second year is one that 'counts' so things get a bit more difficult. I got a bit more option with my modules but there was more workload. I also got more involved in societies and clubs in my second year as I knew how to plan my time better.

The city itself is packed with students, and the nightlife caters for it. :yep: I have really enjoyed the past 2 years, had no problems whatsoever other than catching mumps and missing some coursework deadlines because of it. That was a pain! To summarise, it's a very busy and 'social' university but they do look after you. I'm from Manchester and wanted another big city to move to - so I could live away from home, but still close enough to afford train tickets home whenever I want. :biggrin: And I made a good choice.
Reply 3
Cybele
I'm about to start my third year so I'll give you a run down of my experience so far.

1st year - scary at first, especially living in halls (Carnatic) but I found living there really great and they do look after you. I found getting used to university really easy - it is a big transition from A-level but you'll be told straight away what's expected of you. No slackers! Your lecturers might seem intimidating but they're great if you have a problem - you'll find that you're more likely to email them than see them face to face when you're not in lectures. Resources and facilities, well, I can only speak for my department (SACE) but being a good uni, they are not 'lacking' in anything. The library and computer services are brilliant.

2nd year - Your second year is one that 'counts' so things get a bit more difficult. I got a bit more option with my modules but there was more workload. I also got more involved in societies and clubs in my second year as I knew how to plan my time better.

The city itself is packed with students, and the nightlife caters for it. :yep: I have really enjoyed the past 2 years, had no problems whatsoever other than catching mumps and missing some coursework deadlines because of it. That was a pain! To summarise, it's a very busy and 'social' university but they do look after you. I'm from Manchester and wanted another big city to move to - so I could live away from home, but still close enough to afford train tickets home whenever I want. :biggrin: And I made a good choice.

I'm with SACE too :biggrin:
Reply 4
Linweth
I'm with SACE too :biggrin:

Are you? Not a third year by any chance? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Cybele

I graduated in June and can echo this statement (apart from I was with the geography dept, originally from London, and didn't catch mumps)!
Reply 6
Cybele

I have a deferred place in SACE! Lol
I applied for Archaeology of Ancient Civilisations and decided to defer it to take a year out & work & travel. What's the department like??? The open day didn't give that much info
Reply 7
Magick
I have a deferred place in SACE! Lol
I applied for Archaeology of Ancient Civilisations and decided to defer it to take a year out & work & travel. What's the department like??? The open day didn't give that much info

It's brilliant, the lecturers are wonderful and really enthusiastic - I study Classics so you'll have some different lecturers than me, but it's a great department with a really active society throwing loads of socials/parties. :yes:
Reply 8
Cybele
It's brilliant, the lecturers are wonderful and really enthusiastic - I study Classics so you'll have some different lecturers than me, but it's a great department with a really active society throwing loads of socials/parties. :yes:

Sounds good!!! Would you definately say that it lives up to its reputation with the ancient world???? It's supposed to be an amazing department for it

Sorry for grilling you with so many questions!!!
Reply 9
Magick
Sounds good!!! Would you definitely say that it lives up to its reputation with the ancient world???? It's supposed to be an amazing department for it

Sorry for grilling you with so many questions!!!

That's alright. :biggrin: Yes, it is a well-renouned department and rightly so. It even has its own museum full of ancient artifacts which I'm sure you'll find useful during your time at Liverpool (if you go there!)
Reply 10
Cybele
That's alright. :biggrin: Yes, it is a well-renouned department and rightly so. It even has its own museum full of ancient artifacts which I'm sure you'll find useful during your time at Liverpool (if you go there!)

Thank you!! I intend to =]
well .. i dont wanna open another thread or anything cuz is more or less related to this one..
i`m a MA fresher sorta say .. i find the city vibrant and simply awesome.. the uni is "haunting my dreams" cuz of teh structure mostly victoria museum is awesome ( oh yeah.. i`l a UoL student ) .. the only down side so far .. is that i`n staying at north western hall .. and it`s full of JMU students .. even my flat mates ( been here for a week now .. and i`ve barely spoken with one girl /boy .. the other 2 are a complete Mystery to me ) :smile:) so i cant socialize with other UoL-ers :smile:)

other than that ... i`m trayin not to freak out cuz i`m miles and miles away from home :smile:
Cybele
I made a good choice.

I'm at SACE too, I think it's one of the best in the uni! What course? Im evolutionary anthropology (it's boss) and having changed from biological sciences department (horrid cold unfriendly department, dull course and horrific labs, just no) I really noticed the enthusiasm the teachers and students have :biggrin:
Reply 13
Botticello
I'm at SACE too, I think it's one of the best in the uni! What course? Im evolutionary anthropology (it's boss) and having changed from biological sciences department (horrid cold unfriendly department, dull course and horrific labs, just no) I really noticed the enthusiasm the teachers and students have :biggrin:

Classics. :biggrin:
Reply 14
Cybele
Are you? Not a third year by any chance? :biggrin:

1st year :') yes yes, I'm in my first year and I'm 21... lol
Reply 15
I was randomly reading things about Liverpool Uni and I find this....almost everyone from SACE...I applied for it this year and got an offer ^^...I'm going for Egyptology...Do you know how is it like?
I'm going to the Accomodation open day this April (2nd)...I've never been to Liverpool or England ... I come from Spain and would also want to know how it is to be there :colondollar:
I'll just give you one word, one that the current or previous students will know well and one that you'll come to know well;

RAZ! ;D
Original post by Cybele
Classics. :biggrin:

Which lecturers do you have? I love how we have a Snape lol :giggle:
Reply 18
Original post by Botticello
Which lecturers do you have? I love how we have a Snape lol :giggle:

Currently Archibald, Gibson, Hobden, Harrisson. Changes every semester. :yep:

I haven't had Snape and since this is my last ever semester, I never will. :puppyeyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending