The Student Room Group

Do you brag on facebook

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by choly7
My friends always tag unattractive photos of me, especially when it's a night out and I look drunk! I'm not photogenic anyway so I untag the nasty ones and my friend always get's angry! I don't understand why you would tag a picture of someone if it's obvious they look unattractive in the photo, some people I know do it just to be bitchy sometimes! I don't think my friends are like that but it happens.
I don't think its unreasonable to try and show the best side of yourself on facebook. Like people say, it's the first impression.

I have a friend on facebook who posts really arrogant things and I always just think "you're not even that good!" Annoying boy!

:biggrin:

it's normal that some people annoy you from time to time, but it annoys me more when people bother what you put on facebook of yourself. I don't post status updates, embarrassing photos or links. I only post a few photos, could be just nature, from lunch or a night out if I feel like i got a new one. And a friend was complaining about how people portray their life differently from what it is, and I was like "maybe, I don't think much about it", and she's like, "but don't you think a lot about it in terms of your own profile??". I'm like "...", so I have few photos so what. She told me she stays most weekends inside and therefore feels it wrong to post it when she's done something cool because it seems like she is doing a lot of cool things when she is not. Do people expect others to post pics of them doing the dishes...why do they care!
I don't have facebook anymore, but I wasn't interested in seeing endless updates from people portraying their lives like a fairytale when you know it isn't. And those who brag about the new things they've bought.

For example, I have a cousin who is well known to my family for sponging money off my grandparents. He asked my uncle for money for mechanical equipment for a job he supposedly wanted to do, but was rejected because my uncle knew he wouldn't pay him back. My cousin must have then gone to my grandparents, because suddenly there were updates on facebook from his wife like 'We just bought a husky, it set us back £500' and 'Can't wait for the new plasma TV to be delivered later'. That made me so ****ing angry. But then again, if it wasn't for facebook we wouldn't have known how their money was being spent otherwise!
I did post about a few of my university offers on there, but then i found out a few of my friends didn't get in anywhere, so i've stopped that now.
Original post by *Boofle*
I don't have facebook anymore, but I wasn't interested in seeing endless updates from people portraying their lives like a fairytale when you know it isn't.

I think this is more a girl thing from what I've noticed. Nearly all the girls on my facebook are blocked from my news feed. I get the impression its part of the subtle 'one upmanship' that a lot of girls like to play against their friends, which comes down to reminding their friends that

1. They are in a relationship
2. Its a HAPPY relationship, whatever you may suspect
3. They have got a good job and their career is upwardly mobile
4. They go to lots of small weekend breaks and holidays with said boyfriend

The relationship ones are the worst, I knew a girl who spent about 18 months doubting her relationship and being unhappy, but she went out of her way to make her facebook look like her relationship was fairytale, one Valentines Day she changed her profile picture to one taken last summer of her and her boyfriend lying on the grass with their eyes closed with her nuzzling his neck.....they actually spent this whole Valentines Day arguing, but at least when she got to check her facebook, there were a load of comments under the profile pic along the lines of "sweet...u look lovely 2gether" and "best pic ever...u look so happy 2gether babes xxxx"
Reply 24
I hate facebook. I really hate facebook. Still, it's a tool that can be used - for one's own ends.
Obviously no one is going to post a status that reflects negatively on them, and even if they do they'll blame someone else and call it a frape.
I've noticed a lot of people post statuses that don't give away much information, so people comment, and then the poster can brag/complain about their life in great detail.

Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think this is more a girl thing from what I've noticed. Nearly all the girls on my facebook are blocked from my news feed. I get the impression its part of the subtle 'one upmanship' that a lot of girls like to play against their friends, which comes down to reminding their friends that

Yes! I get sick and tired of girls who update their status every 10 minutes to tell everyone about their boyfriend.

'just shopping with the boyf lol'
'i love my boyfriend!!xxx'
'watchin a film with [boyfriends name] lol xxx'
etc...
:sleep:
I've got a newly-wed on my FB. It's all nice that they're happy, but oh my god, they spam my feeds from every angle.

"aww heres my wubby hubby luv uuuuuuuu".. crap like that on statuses, comments, picture comments etc etc. Thank **** for the hide button so I don't have to put up with kiddie weddings.

And I agree with the previous poster about FB updates about current affairs with pseudo-political insights from a complete nobody. I don't like it when people assume that everyone else actually gives a **** about what they think.

But other than that, I don't see why people whine about the benile crap that people put in facebook. If it makes them happy, so be it. It's not hard to ignore it. Personally, I think this is the product of having non-friends on your facebook. The people on my profile are actually my friends, so I enjoy hearing what they're up to, even if it is otherwise mundane.
(edited 13 years ago)
Actually, if you have anybody who has recently had a kid on your facebook, flipping heck they go on about it, all of their photo albums and profile pictures are of their babies or kids, sometimes they tag themselves or themselves as their partner as their baby.

It always amuses me how people are ultra paranoid about people taking photos of their kids, because they might get put on the internet, yet they plaster photos of their kids all over facebook. Paedo paradise.
Original post by Anonymous
There was this article about this in the newspaper and people responded online

The journalist was complaining about people with status updates that were annoying, how they portrayed a perfect family life. She concluded that grown-ups were often worse than teenagers / young people. I agree to that, I think parents on facebook read a lot more into stuff than young people do (many of us update "in New York" simply because it's where we are).

What do you think? Your facebook profile sends signals about you in some sort of way, whether it is to say you are alternative, intellectual, posh etc. Do you often sigh and roll your eyes over other people's profiles or just don't care? I hear some people are just really annoyed when they think friends' profiles gives a different image of their friends than what is true. Others say facebook should be for positive things, what is the joy in people posting that they're feeling like crap. Is it that big a deal?

I just discussed this with a friend and it felt like she accused me of untagging unattractive pictures of myself / only posting certain stuff. I am not photogenic, and I don't want hideous pictures of me for everyone to see, and I don't think there is anything strange about that. Anyone the same? :smile:

if people do actually think about what they post and try make themselves look good then boy what a bunch of losers. I just put what i think. Anything and everything from:

omg 300 people dead in japan, to I hate my sister, to ****ing hate tories, to random articles about police incompetence, and just putting a status about how i had an awesome day at the museum and rock climbing and eating chinese food whilst smiling into office windows spiting them, HAHAHAHA.....so...I just say it like it is....why don't u all do that? Oh and recently a girl deleted me from fb for being all negative, haha...i didn't give a **** to be honest...was shocked she actually bothered to message me to tell me she deleted me and why, HAHAHA....

anyhow. **** you all tory pricks out there reading this! I HATE YOU!!!!! I hope you die tomorrow!
Actually, if you have anybody who has recently had a kid on your facebook, flipping heck they go on about it, all of their photo albums and profile pictures are of their babies or kids, sometimes they tag themselves or themselves as their partner as their baby.

It always amuses me how people are ultra paranoid about people taking photos of their kids, because they might get put on the internet, yet they plaster photos of their kids all over facebook. Paedo paradise.

I've got friends who dropped one in their early teens and have proceeded to make facebook profiles for their babies/now-toddlers, and actually post statuses on their behalf.

:facepalm:
Reply 30

Agree on this !! Parents of young children are paranoid about pedophiles, but post pictures of their children on facebook and let them run naked on the beach. Like it's nice to see you had a baby, now stop it. And don't use baby as profile picture. You are not the baby.
Reply 31
Original post by Philbert
I've untagged myself from most of my photos because I just hate the way I look in them. I don't even have a profile photo at the moment, as I hardly use facebook, so it seems pointless.

As for the bragging thing, I've noticed lately that a lot of my friends like to brag about bands they've seen. For example, I went to see a band a few weeks ago for the first time, and someone replied that he'd seen them four times, and that the first time was the best, because their first albums were better :colonhash: I see it on other people's statuses, too. Even if they're just saying, something like "forgot how good this song/band is : )" someone HAS to comment saying, "yeah, I've seen them live 12 times." Why? I just don't get it. And then there's this 30 day song challenge gubbins, where people feel the need to show the world how alternative or edgy their music taste is.

I like that 30 day song challenge, you can find good music.
I only really post music to my wall anyway. It's not bragging, I'm just sharing music with my friends like I do in real life.
Reply 32
This. My status page is crammed with the same three or four girls taking sly digs at some random whose annoyed them somehow. It's not subtle it's just *****y.

Another thing I hate are people who for some reason want to make all their personal family/relationship issues public knowledge or people who put "grrr, so angry" then wait for all the 'ahhh, whtz the matter bbz xx'' before going into an essay about how bad their life is.

I posted that similar sentiment on an album of one of my facebook "friends"

It did not go down well...
Reply 34
No...
(apart from the one time I subtly persuaded Mum into congratulating me on my results on my wall.... but that was a very low point... :colondollar:)

My 3 most recent statuses are:
I am sort of paranoid in reverse - I suspect people are plotting to make me happy :smile: :smile:
Had an awesome day :biggrin: Thanks (tag) for always cheering me up :smile:
and
Really wonderful day :smile: Saw some amazing scientists - Dawkins, Maggie Aderin-Pocock (and baby!), Jim Al-Khalili etc :biggrin: Shame not to see Brian Cox though.. (then a tags of my friends who went too)

With the last there is the element of boasting about science, but it was mainly because we all went as group then posted afterwards. Generally though my wall seems to say I am some kind of crazy happy person (with a harry potter/philosophy/english obsession from my friends posts)- but that's cos depressing statuses annoy me, I guess. So yeah, maybe I'm bragging about being happy, but I don't see it that way...
I brag on every opportunity I get, so yes.
Reply 36
Original post by BookWormShanti
No...
(apart from the one time I subtly persuaded Mum into congratulating me on my results on my wall.... but that was a very low point... :colondollar:)

My 3 most recent statuses are:
I am sort of paranoid in reverse - I suspect people are plotting to make me happy :smile: :smile:
Had an awesome day :biggrin: Thanks (tag) for always cheering me up :smile:
and
Really wonderful day :smile: Saw some amazing scientists - Dawkins, Maggie Aderin-Pocock (and baby!), Jim Al-Khalili etc :biggrin: Shame not to see Brian Cox though.. (then a tags of my friends who went too)

With the last there is the element of boasting about science, but it was mainly because we all went as group then posted afterwards. Generally though my wall seems to say I am some kind of crazy happy person (with a harry potter/philosophy/english obsession from my friends posts)- but that's cos depressing statuses annoy me, I guess. So yeah, maybe I'm bragging about being happy, but I don't see it that way...

I hope you are joking :lolwut:
i've never bragged about anything on facebook because that's dumb. that's why i have twitter :cool:

but anyways you're right about parents looking into stuff way too much. i remember my mom was confused/angry that one of my friends(girl) was married to another friend. (girl) i tried explaining to her it's what girls do to show that they're best friends and it's a joke.
Reply 38
People who constantly post pictures of themselves kissing and hugging their other half from 'myspace angles' whose status updates, permamently repeated throughout the day, are all about their bf/gf and how wonderful amazing they are and how much they love them, how their anniversary is coming up etc, and who constantly comment on their bf/gf's wall saying how much they love them, with numerous hearts and xs, will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. it is the most annoying thing on this earth
Reply 39

I agree with what you've said, and it is something I have noticed amongst my friends more and more- but something that I'm trying to figure out, is why is this behaviour more prevalent amongst women than men? I've heard generalised comments about how men have hobbies and women don't, so women latch onto men because they're something to fill up their time with (and post on facebook about...repeatedly...). Obviously this view is harsh and simplified but wondered what your views were?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending