The Student Room Group

HELP NEEDED!!!A EVEL SCIENCE SUBJECTS...(really appreciates help from A-A* students

Hey guys

I don't understand what is going on here.....my grades seems to be dropping and I don't understand why.
Last year at AS...the first january exams, i got ABB A in Biology, B in chemistry (2 from an A) and an B in maths (one from an A). My particular concern is Biology...In the summer, due to lack of understanding, i think, i got a C in the summer exam, which was shocking because i thought i had figured out the technique but this year, I worked very hard again to improve my biology grade and it got even worse, I got a D (2marks from a C not that it matters anyway, i would have still been disappointed with a C, especially a low one)...i really dont know what i'm doing wrong...please suggest how you prepare for it and any help on coursework preparation is really useful too.

Thanks
Reply 1
I sat for the CIE A-Levels so not sure whether my advice is suitable for you.
1. Read the textbook.
2. Do past years.
3. Learn where you got it wrong using Marking Scheme.
4. Study teacher's notes and select relevant stuff.
5. Do past years again.
6. Study teacher's notes and read the irrelevant stuff 'cause you have nothing better to do
anyway.
7. Get A*s
8. Feel helpless and unable to fill that void in your life now that studies are over. :borat:
reference books really help cuz they have extra info that your school/course text books might not..
extra questions from other text books that are edexcel/cie endorsed are also helpfulll

ofcourse you must do pastpapers, teachers notes and your text book!

also make notess.. when doing the past paperss write down all the imp info and stuff you got wrong.. helps alot in revision and correcting your mistake.. make a formula sheet that you have all the imp info in..

and you should do a crosssextion of each chapter noting down your doubts so you can ask your teacher to clear them out fr you

ofc working hard is reall imp!
best of luck x
Reply 4
Personally, the CGP revision guides are all you need imo. They make everything very simple and easy to understand, and despite what some people may say I think they tell you everything you need to know for the exams. Seemed that way and it worked perfectly for me anyway, especially in Biology
Reply 5
@Rob 16, that's what i thought because last year summer i didn't use the revision guide whereas i did in january last yr and then this yr i used the revision guide and my text book....:/ and i did past papers and went over what i didnt get with teachers.........:/ but thanks for the advice xx
Get your papers back and find out exactly where you went wrong, you might just be rewording the questions, or missing out units, or something really obvious like that. Good luck, don't worry, with hard work you can bring your grades back up :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Rob16
Personally, the CGP revision guides are all you need imo. They make everything very simple and easy to understand, and despite what some people may say I think they tell you everything you need to know for the exams. Seemed that way and it worked perfectly for me anyway, especially in Biology

This is b/s. The revision guide is not enough content.

Take this from someone who got 90/90 UMS in Biology this January, buy the OCR endorsed text book for your course and learn all of that! Yes it may be a lot more work than learning 50 pages out of a basic revision guide but for getting a high mark in Biology you need to know EVERYTHING, as they sometimes test you on really obscure things.
Reply 8
Original post by tateco
This is b/s. The revision guide is not enough content.

Take this from someone who got 90/90 UMS in Biology this January, buy the OCR endorsed text book for your course and learn all of that! Yes it may be a lot more work than learning 50 pages out of a basic revision guide but for getting a high mark in Biology you need to know EVERYTHING, as they sometimes test you on really obscure things.

Well from a person who got 100/100 UMS in the January A2 exam last year, and an A* in Biology at A2 from using just the revision guide, not my notes or a text book. And tbf without an awful lot of work. Going through the revision guide a few times until you know it all pretty well is enough. And in my exam they did test us on realy obscure things, hence why most people at my college failed it, because it was hardly on track. The revision guide gives you all the basic knowledge you need, which you can then easily apply to all the abstract situations they give you.

But I guess we're always going to disagree on this. But like i said, i got an A* in biology using just the revision guide, so its perfectly possible. I guess it may not work for everyone though
Reply 9
Original post by miss_sexy
@Rob 16, that's what i thought because last year summer i didn't use the revision guide whereas i did in january last yr and then this yr i used the revision guide and my text book....:/ and i did past papers and went over what i didnt get with teachers.........:/ but thanks for the advice xx

People knock it because of its "lack of content" but I really dont think you need anything more, past experience shows that. Text book just overcomplicates things. Specially when the way the revision guide lays things out, its perfect for the 4/5/6 mark questions. Effectively just copy out what it says from memory onto the paper! Where as the text book will make a couple pages out of it, which is all well and good, but at the end of the day you dont copy multiple pages out, you want the main points that get you the marks, and thats what the revision guide does perfectly.
Reply 10
Original post by Rob16
People knock it because of its "lack of content" but I really dont think you need anything more, past experience shows that. Text book just overcomplicates things. Specially when the way the revision guide lays things out, its perfect for the 4/5/6 mark questions. Effectively just copy out what it says from memory onto the paper! Where as the text book will make a couple pages out of it, which is all well and good, but at the end of the day you dont copy multiple pages out, you want the main points that get you the marks, and thats what the revision guide does perfectly.

thnx :smile:
Original post by Rob16
Well from a person who got 100/100 UMS in the January A2 exam last year, and an A* in Biology at A2 from using just the revision guide, not my notes or a text book. And tbf without an awful lot of work. Going through the revision guide a few times until you know it all pretty well is enough. And in my exam they did test us on realy obscure things, hence why most people at my college failed it, because it was hardly on track. The revision guide gives you all the basic knowledge you need, which you can then easily apply to all the abstract situations they give you.

But I guess we're always going to disagree on this. But like i said, i got an A* in biology using just the revision guide, so its perfectly possible. I guess it may not work for everyone though

Really?! I'd have thought that too many questions would have relied heavily upon a distinct trend in question papers/mark schemes and using a revision guide would be way too unspecific and give you irrelevant/not enough information etc.
Reply 12
Original post by 01010000 01001010
Really?! I'd have thought that too many questions would have relied heavily upon a distinct trend in question papers/mark schemes and using a revision guide would be way too unspecific and give you irrelevant/not enough information etc.

It's surprising isnt it. I swear its almost as if CGP know whats coming up in the exam! You sit the paper and theres like a 7 mark question and you just think "yes get in!!" because i relates perfectly to a small coloured box in the revison guide, you copy it out and hey presto come results day you got all the marks.

The only thing with the revision guide is that you need to have some ability to apply what you know to the context of the question. Most people dont realise exactly what the question is asking and in biology I think thats where people go wrong. Particularly with the shift towards "How science works" questions.

But yeah, I think the revision guide gives you exactly the amount of information you need. It doesnt go into unnecessary detail. It worked perfectly for me in both AS and A2 so obviously I'm going to be pro-revision guide aha :tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by Rob16

You may well have done well using the revision guide, but the mere fact the OP is asking for advice on how to do well on a subject as simple as Biology should make you realise that they are not going to just be able to learn the revision guide and that will be enough. Of course some people are capable of not doing any work and still getting good marks, but that is besides the point. The OP was asking for advice and for most people, the revision guide just doesn't cover enough.
Reply 14
Original post by tateco
You may well have done well using the revision guide, but the mere fact the OP is asking for advice on how to do well on a subject as simple as Biology should make you realise that they are not going to just be able to learn the revision guide and that will be enough. Of course some people are capable of not doing any work and still getting good marks, but that is besides the point. The OP was asking for advice and for most people, the revision guide just doesn't cover enough.

How can you possibly know that? Most people, like you, don't think its enough and so don't rely on it. They split their time between the revision guide, the text book, class notes, make mind maps and flash cards and allsorts. You don't have to be really bright for it to work, my friend did better than a lot of the other people in our class using the revision guide, and hes by no means one of the "brightest". By the same logic, just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean to say it doesn't work for the majority, or specifically OP.

And yes, OP asked for opinions/advice from students who got A/A*, I fit into that category and gave my advice. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me and a lot of other people
Reply 15
Original post by Rob16
How can you possibly know that? Most people, like you, don't think its enough and so don't rely on it. They split their time between the revision guide, the text book, class notes, make mind maps and flash cards and allsorts. You don't have to be really bright for it to work, my friend did better than a lot of the other people in our class using the revision guide, and hes by no means one of the "brightest". By the same logic, just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean to say it doesn't work for the majority, or specifically OP.

And yes, OP asked for opinions/advice from students who got A/A*, I fit into that category and gave my advice. It may not work for everyone, but it worked for me and a lot of other people

Love the way that just because I don't memorise the revision guide that I'm the kind of person that fits into the stereotypical mind-map revision category :L

Never mind. OP, just choose whatever advice you want but remember that just because memorising the revision guide worked for this person, please don't rely on it to get you an A*
Reply 16
Original post by tateco
Love the way that just because I don't memorise the revision guide that I'm the kind of person that fits into the stereotypical mind-map revision category :L

Never mind. OP, just choose whatever advice you want but remember that just because memorising the revision guide worked for this person, please don't rely on it to get you an A*

Noooo i'm sorry I wasn't meaning to put you into that category! Honestly. I was just meaning that they're the techniques a lot of people seem to use.

I guess the best thing for OP to do is find what works for her? Everyone learns differently at the end of the day so
Reply 17
Hmm... I got 100 UMS for Biology on the CIE board. I did neither mind-mapping or memorizing revision guides. Mine was understanding the textbook then drilling the past years. And I mean doing the same past year papers at least twice.
Whatever suits you I guess. :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest