The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SimonM
Except the whole "end of Lent" makes it so much easier to actually be successful.

I gave up playing games on my phone and Coke (and similar fizzy drinks, not decided on where to draw the line, (I'm practically living off Lucozade Energy atm))

The only proper one I can think of is to try and go to all my lectures, but I think that's a stupid idea because sometimes that assessed tutorial sheet that you've spent 9 hours on already just needs that little bit extra time...

(not been a good week :p:)
Reply 5881
I'm giving up lager. Unfortunately, this means I am back on the Guinness although on the plus side, this ties in with Paddy's day next week.
Ok maybe I should give up bridge/guess whist, been playing like 4+ hours a day.
Original post by Meteorshower
Ok maybe I should give up bridge/guess whist, been playing like 4+ hours a day.

Mature student? :P
Original post by Hedgeman49
Mature student? :P

No, i'm 19 :frown:

I get semi-addicted to strange things
Original post by Simplicity
Literally, that is the worst notation I have ever seen.

All Actuarial Maths notation is ridiculous. Umlauts, and 'shacks', and 1s hovering over slightly different parts of the subscripts which entirely changes the meaning of the whole bloody thing. Sometimes you just don't put a 1 at all, and instead use a line (which, incidentally, looks a helluva lot like a 1) but which has no meaning related to the use of the 1. Urgh.

Also lololol my AmV lecturer wore his v-neck jumper back-to-front on Friday. SO. FUNNY.
(edited 13 years ago)
RHUL maths lecturers seem like they're getting jiggy with each other. Incidentally, our stats lec is married to the stats lec from Kings, and the people who're studying the same fields are pairing off - real analysis, group, graph and algorithmic theory...

Stupid rumours or truth within madness?
Reply 5887
Hi there, my name is Shay, im hoping to study mathematics with management at southampton in october...i was wondering if any1 could recommend a good textbook which relates to my 1st year modules that i could use to do sum maths revision in the summer and get a head start ahead of uni...any recommendations?
Original post by CdotS
Hi there, my name is Shay, im hoping to study mathematics with management at southampton in october...i was wondering if any1 could recommend a good textbook which relates to my 1st year modules that i could use to do sum maths revision in the summer and get a head start ahead of uni...any recommendations?

Hello, you should create a serperate thread for this question, in which people would be happy to answer. I'm sure you understand we cannot have this as a general question thread since it would be filled with such questions.
Original post by CdotS

This is probably best asked in the Southampton subforum - I don't think there are many (if any) Southampton students in this thread so we probably won't be much help to you.
Reply 5890
Original post by ForGreatJustice

Hello, you should create a serperate thread for this question, in which people would be happy to answer. I'm sure you understand we cannot have this as a general question thread since it would be filled with such questions.

oo ok..sorry i'm new to studentroom
Original post by wanderlust.xx
RHUL maths lecturers seem like they're getting jiggy with each other. Incidentally, our stats lec is married to the stats lec from Kings, and the people who're studying the same fields are pairing off - real analysis, group, graph and algorithmic theory...

Stupid rumours or truth within madness?

Probably true... maths is incredibly incestuous!
At Cambridge, when people get their results for the IA Maths exams, do they include "you came in xth place"?

And do they include merit mark and raw mark as well as class?

ambie
Yes, we get ranked, and get all the marks and stuff
Yes, we get ranked, and get all the marks and stuff

Thanks - and how is the info given to each student? Camcors? Camsis? Email? Pigeonhole? Surely it's not all publicly announced at Senate House? :smile:
The data is on camcors or camsis (I didn't even know there are two seperate things?) Also your DoS gets a more specific mark break down paper by paper and such, which they may choose to give out ( mine did at least)

At senate house, all there is are the class lists, in alphabetical order in the classes, so not much information is there
Reply 5896
Original post by ambience
At Cambridge, when people get their results for the IA Maths exams, do they include "you came in xth place"?

And do they include merit mark and raw mark as well as class?

ambie
I've never been told my rank, though some people I know have been. Percentages come up on CamSIS at some point, while your DoS should be sent a breakdown by question (which he'll probably send you).
Is it true that the Maths Faculty at Cambridge has signed a sponsorship deal with Wrangler so that all scholars get Wrangler jackets, or is it a joke? (I really hope it's a joke! :smile: )
No need to give me the thumbs down for asking about Wrangler - I was just asking whether something Glutamic Acid posted about this was true or a joke, that's all! :smile:

(edited) Oh sorry - I meant please give me lots of thumbs down. Thanks! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5899
Original post by SimonM
Last term I took Algebraic Geometry (problem classes), Category Theory (problem classes), Riemann Surfaces (supervisions), Galois Theory (supervisions) and Linear Analysis (no supervisions).

Outside of Trinity, very few Cambridge maths students have the opportunity to take problem classes (without supervisions) in courses 'above their year'.

They may be extremely strong students. It's just that their colleges don't run such classes! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest