The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Right. So when you said 'a QM degree won't hold you back', what you meant to say was, 'a QM degree won't hold you back, so long as you aren't too ambitious'?

Of course I'm not making the claim that a QM degree won't stand you in good stead for most jobs; I said that one would disadvantage you for some competitive jobs with many applicants from Oxbridge, UCL et al. I believe I actually used the words 'top set/firm'.

I just wrote an incredibly long paragraph and then my computer decided to crash on me.

Either way, if I summarise what I just wrote, a QM degree won't hold you back, so long as you're not too ambitious; a QM law degree won't hold you back. Full stop.

You cannot really deny that QM law school is recognised as one of the top 20 in the country. At this stage, future employers will recognise that you've had the opportunity of a really top-quality education and you're legal know-how has the potential to be just as good as that of someone who studied at Oxford, Cambridge, UCL or LSE. Thus, a 1st or 2:1 from QM would be sufficient to tick the "applicant has studied at a respectable university" box. The rest of your application, then, is entirely down to your ability, reasoning skills, team-work, interest in law, dedication to the job, reliability etc, and the institution at which you've studied becomes significantly less important.

As jimmyatemyworld has pointed out, there are many top lawyers in the country from universities such as QM and other insitutions like as Exeter, Manchester and Leeds, which you would not normally expect to produce Britain's best lawyers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes, it will. If you're going for jobs at top sets or firms, competing against Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham and Nottingham grads, a degree from QM will disadvantage you. Note my use of 'disadvantage'; it won't make it impossible, which is why the 'one judge is a QM grad' comment is absolutely no argument.

Noone has said it's not a good school. 'Good' in this context encompasses many things, which are valued against each other with different weightings for each person's idea of 'good'. 'Good' does not equate to prestige or employer desirability.

Law firms tend to use critical reasonings tests as a way of whittling down the first X number of applicants. A degree from QM would only really disadvantage you if you were competing against someone from, say Oxford, who had exactly the same credentials as you (apart from university). However, if it was blindingly obvious that the applicant from QM had a better aptitude for the job then I doubt that law firms will think, "well, they graduated from Oxford so, even though they're clearly not as good as the QM applicant, we'll have them instead anyway."

Howeve, I still dispute that QM is significantly far "behind" Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Durham and Nottingham anyway. The first 3 maybe, but I'd say it's on par - or near enough - with the latter two. I think you're basing your perceptions on the fact that Durham and Nottingham are better universities as a whole. However, I have a funny feeling that law firms would be more interested in a universities' reputation for law than the standard of geologist or medic they produce.
Original post by Mann18
'greed.

Although, I feel we should add that we literally are talking only from our perspective.

I met an Oxford Law Grad last night who works in London, but is moving up north shortly, and he made it sound as though with a 2:1 from anywhere, you'll have a shot anywhere except the magic circle (which he stressed even Oxbridge graduates cannot expect to get into.)

Nice guy, said it was probably the worst 3 years of his life, so yeah, I'm looking forward to it now. :s-smilie:

I expect the amount of Oxford students who enjoy it far outweigh thsoe who don't. :tongue:

What did he dislike so much, may I ask?
Reply 3943
Original post by LornaSandison1
I expect the amount of Oxford students who enjoy it far outweigh thsoe who don't. :tongue:

What did he dislike so much, may I ask?

In short, workload.
Reply 3944
Original post by LornaSandison1
I just wrote an incredibly long paragraph and then my computer decided to crash on me.

Either way, if I summarise what I just wrote, a QM degree won't hold you back, so long as you're not too ambitious; a QM law degree won't hold you back. Full stop.

You cannot really deny that QM law school is recognised as one of the top 20 in the country. At this stage, future employers will recognise that you've had the opportunity of a really top-quality education and you're legal know-how has the potential to be just as good as that of someone who studied at Oxford, Cambridge, UCL or LSE. Thus, a 1st or 2:1 from QM would be sufficient to tick the "applicant has studied at a respectable university" box. The rest of your application, then, is entirely down to your ability, reasoning skills, team-work, interest in law, dedication to the job, reliability etc, and the institution at which you've studied becomes significantly less important.

As jimmyatemyworld has pointed out, there are many top lawyers in the country from universities such as QM and other insitutions like as Exeter, Manchester and Leeds, which you would not normally expect to produce Britain's best lawyers.

A lot of people who didn't study at a top uni initially almost universally did Oxford's BCL if they're considered "one of the best lawyers."
Original post by Mann18
A lot of people who didn't study at a top uni initially almost universally did Oxford's BCL if they're considered "one of the best lawyers."

I would love to do that :moon:
Original post by Mann18

Almost agree, though you neglect to point out that many also did a Cambridge LLM too :tongue: But yes, your point is essentially correct! If you're from a very much less good university you often need to do a postgrad qualification from somewhere exceptional, after gaining a 1st in your undergrad degree, before you get that magic circle training contract/lucrative bar school & pupillage scholarship.

Which is hardly the same as saying that all that law firms are looking for is people with ok-ish qualifications and good aptitude test scores...they know that not only do universities rigorously select the best people, but that at the best universities people get by far the best teaching. If a big magic circle firm had a large pool of good Oxbridge graduate applicants, who've been taught by the world's best legal minds for 3 years in 1:2 sessions, why would they bother even properly going through all their applicants from places even in the middle of the tables, e.g. Sussex? It just wouldn't make for a sensible use of their valuable time...it may not be all that fair, or all that PC, but from my experience it's correct.
Original post by Mann18
I wouldn't have applied anyway, not able to travel really just yet, but thanks for the thought :h: I know what you mean about bar-y work exp, I'm just unsure if anyone would be willing to give anything worthwhile to non-uni students.

Hey, it's not spam if you're offering people a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet you, the next big thing. ("You" meaning you and or I.)

Let me know how you get on with pinset mason's thing.

Will do! I mentioned my Cam offer on most pages of the online application :tongue: that's got to count for something, right?
Reply 3948
Original post by Vinchenko
Almost agree, though you neglect to point out that many also did a Cambridge LLM too :tongue: But yes, your point is essentially correct! If you're from a very much less good university you often need to do a postgrad qualification from somewhere exceptional, after gaining a 1st in your undergrad degree, before you get that magic circle training contract/lucrative bar school & pupillage scholarship.

Which is hardly the same as saying that all that law firms are looking for is people with ok-ish qualifications and good aptitude test scores...they know that not only do universities rigorously select the best people, but that at the best universities people get by far the best teaching. If a big magic circle firm had a large pool of good Oxbridge graduate applicants, who've been taught by the world's best legal minds for 3 years in 1:2 sessions, why would they bother even properly going through all their applicants from places even in the middle of the tables, e.g. Sussex? It just wouldn't make for a sensible use of their valuable time...it may not be all that fair, or all that PC, but from my experience it's correct.

:facepalm: That honestly is a mistake on my part, I had meant to write "/Cambridge equivalent."
However, I will say that I would expect people from "lower ranking" schools to sometimes have the edge over people from "higher ranked" unis if only for PR purposes.
Will do! I mentioned my Cam offer on most pages of the online application :tongue: that's got to count for something, right?

:rofl: I would expect it does! I expect you'll be given a shot (if you're not, I assume you just missed out) purely on that basis.

As long as it didn't descend into arrogance!
Original post by Lacrimosa
If snobs like you lot have got time to waste arguing about all this, I really, really envy you.

We do, and I don't blame you. I'd envy us.

edit: LOL deleted
(edited 13 years ago)

We do, and I don't blame you. I'd envy us.

edit: LOL deleted

Sorry, mistake on my part.
Many people around the world would view getting a place at QM as a great achievement; they should be rightly proud of it. Criticising and looking down on other people's choices seems a bit arrogant. You're going to be dealing with people from all walks of life in your future career - please remember that not everyone can get into Oxbridge.
Sorry, mistake on my part.
Many people around the world would view getting a place at QM as a great achievement; they should be rightly proud of it. Criticising and looking down on other people's choices seems a bit arrogant. You're going to be dealing with people from all walks of life in your future career - please remember that not everyone can get into Oxbridge.

I'm deriding noone. We're having a discussion on the relative merits of universities in terms of their prestige and how easy it is to get into high end jobs with a degree from them. Note the word relative, and how attendees of each uni weren't even mentioned.

My thinking that a degree from x uni comes with less prestige and employment potential than one from y uni does not in any way imply that I think people who go to x uni are inferior. They're entirely different things.
I'm deriding noone. We're having a discussion on the relative merits of universities in terms of their prestige and how easy it is to get into high end jobs with a degree from them. Note the word relative, and how attendees of each uni weren't even mentioned.

My thinking that a degree from x uni comes with less prestige and employment potential than one from y uni does not in any way imply that I think people who go to x uni are inferior. They're entirely different things.

That's not the way your argument comes across. Personally I'm more anxious about actually getting the right grades for university, rather than evaluating the finicky details of universities as though they are the only thing that matters.

Of course the attendees are mentioned; surely employment prospects cover the people who went there. How is any of this productive for applicants to the courses you are referring to, and what good do you think it will do?
That's not the way your argument comes across. Personally I'm more anxious about actually getting the right grades for university, rather than evaluating the finicky details of universities as though they are the only thing that matters.

Of course the attendees are mentioned; surely employment prospects cover the people who went there. How is any of this productive for applicants to the courses you are referring to, and what good do you think it will do?

I really don't understand the massive opposition of being a prestige-whore on TSR. Sure some people take it overboard, but for the most part there are some valid points. Considering that most people go to uni for the sake of employment, wouldn't it make sense to go to a uni where you can heg the bet to get the greatest end result? Sure other factors are in play--but when you're paying fees for a degree, it turns into nothing more than an investment. Don't you want to get the best return on the investment?
I really don't understand the massive opposition of being a prestige-whore on TSR. Sure some people take it overboard, but for the most part there are some valid points. Considering that most people go to uni for the sake of employment, wouldn't it make sense to go to a uni where you can heg the bet to get the greatest end result? Sure other factors are in play--but when you're paying fees for a degree, it turns into nothing more than an investment. Don't you want to get the best return on the investment?

I completely agree with you here, but that's not my point.
I just find it strange that people will spend hours on here discussing universities that they haven't even applied to, let alone visited.
If this is only a "discussion", then what is the point in having it unless you're planning on attending these universities?

I didn't say it was the only thing that matters. And no, nothing was said about the attendees. Talking about the employment prospects attendees will gain is different from talking about them as people. You need to work on your critical reasoning skills; you're reading what isn't there.

As to why we should have this debate - why have any debate? It came up in discussion, so we're having it. I guess if you're looking for practical advantages of having the debate, I could say that debate brings better understanding, allowing parties to it to better advise prospective law students.

p.s. if you're quoting someone, actually click quote on their post, or put '
(their username)
. Otherwise, it won't pop up on their 'who quoted me' thing.
p.p.s. you have no rep power. Negging me won't - and didn't - affect my rep. Not that I'm particularly bothered. Just FYI.
(edited 13 years ago)
Hey just wondering how many people are still waiting to hear from Warwick? They're the last uni i'm waiting to hear back from and they're taking forever!! Just wondered how many other people are still waiting too! I know there's been Warwick offers on this thread but they seem to be giving out offers only a handful at a time, any idea if they have a deadline to hand out offers by?
Sorry for all the questions but so many people at my 6th form have heard back from all 5 and are firming and insuring and I can't even start to make those decisions until I hear from Warwick.
I didn't say it was the only thing that matters. And no, nothing was said about the attendees. Talking about the employment prospects attendees will gain is different from talking about them as people. You need to work on your critical reasoning skills; you're reading what isn't there.

As to why we should have this debate - why have any debate? It came up in discussion, so we're having it. I guess if you're looking for practical advantages of having the debate, I could say that debate brings better understanding, allowing parties to it to better advise prospective law students.

p.p.s. you have no rep power. Negging me won't - and didn't - affect my rep. Not that I'm particularly bothered. Just FYI.

Quite obviously you are unable to see where I'm coming from. Maybe you need to work on viewing things from others' perspectives. All I can say is that your condescending tone shows me that you are certainly not here to bring about 'better understanding'. You're just being snobby. I don't really have anything else to say.

p.s. I didn't neg you - FYI.
Quite obviously you are unable to see where I'm coming from. Maybe you need to work on viewing things from others' perspectives. All I can say is that your condescending tone shows me that you are certainly not here to bring about 'better understanding'. You're just being snobby. I don't really have anything else to say.

p.s. I didn't neg you - FYI.

I'm capable of seeing things from your standpoint; the problem is that your standpoint is ****ing stupid.

You're boring me. If I want to discuss the relative levels of prestige of uni's, I will. It's no more snobbish than debating the prestige levels of top flight football teams, or, more fittingly for this forum, of investment banks. If you can't grasp that, you aren't worth further discussion.
Reply 3959
Original post by Hannahx04
Hey just wondering how many people are still waiting to hear from Warwick? They're the last uni i'm waiting to hear back from and they're taking forever!! Just wondered how many other people are still waiting too! I know there's been Warwick offers on this thread but they seem to be giving out offers only a handful at a time, any idea if they have a deadline to hand out offers by?
Sorry for all the questions but so many people at my 6th form have heard back from all 5 and are firming and insuring and I can't even start to make those decisions until I hear from Warwick.

Hey, when did you send off your application?

I sent mine towards the end of November and got an offer on 1st March, so they do take a very long time to get back to people.

According to UCAS the unis aim to make their decisions by the 31st March, but the final deadline in the 6th May, so there is still loads of time left - try not to get too worried!

Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending