The Student Room Group

What do you think is easier, multiple choice exams or written exams?

This poll is closed

Which do you think is easier, multiple choice exams or written exams?

Multiple Choice Exams 63%
Written Exams37%
Total votes: 43
I understand that in multiple choice exams the grade boundaries are usually higher, for oblivious reasons, and so, bearing that in mind, what do you think is easier, multiple choice exams or written exams? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

well..for the science exams it is probably multipile choice. However, at my school we dont really get an option so we have to do written but ive seen some multiple choice ones on the website and they were so much easier.
Multiple choice exams are so hard especially when they give you 4 options :holmes:
Multiple choice, obviously. Good luck using the process of elimination in a History exam.
Reply 4
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Multiple choice exams are so hard especially when they give you 4 options :holmes:

I hate the multiple choice exams that have a fifth option on all of their questions, "None of these", and I hate it when you answer all the questions but realise none of your answers were "None of these" when you know there's bound to be a couple :gah:
Reply 5
Written papers are much more easier lol, Multiple choice just confuses you even more!!!, On written papers for science you can express your answer much more awarding you marks. (:
Reply 6
It depends on the subject. But I find multiple choice exams easier when it comes to subjects like science.
Original post by Phobia27
I hate the multiple choice exams that have a fifth option on all of their questions, "None of these", and I hate it when you answer all the questions but realise none of your answers were "None of these" when you know there's bound to be a couple :gah:

Our MEI maths assessment papers (Multiple choice) have the option 'I dont know' :teehee:
Well this Polls a fail!
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Our MEI maths assessment papers (Multiple choice) have the option 'I dont know' :teehee:

So providing you are genuinely ignorant, you must score 100%. :biggrin: Only those who do know but nevertheless choose that option, can be marked wrong for selecting it.
I hate multiple choice questions, I always think at least two are right. Or sometimes I think none of the answers are right and I know it has to be one of them...

I'd rather just do written exams, then if i'm not sure exactly what the question is asking I can just ramble on about the subject and hope to cover what the examiner actually wants :biggrin:
I think written, because you can choose what to include in an extended answer and develop the stuff you know really well to compensate for the fact that you don't mention some things and get credit for that - if you don't know something then multiple choice isn't going to help you much!

That might be just because I'm good at writing long rambling essay answers and not at memorising straight facts though :o:
Reply 12
Tbh, I actually really prefer written papers.
If you can remember a lot of detail then written papers, otherwise multi choice

a couple of friends did the ACDC method for their Year 10 Science multiple choice, they got A's in two of the subjects and a high B in the other
Reply 14
In multiple choice, there is always four options - and out of those four, two are the stupid ones that you can rule out easily. The two remaining options are quite similar; one of those is the right answer.
During GCSE triple Science the papers got changed from multiple choice to written half way through the course. My grades dropped instantly.

Multiple choice often means you have a 25% chance of getting the right answer.
Reply 16
Multiple choice so bad, I'm not much of an A grade candidate, but with a weeks worth of light revision I got 2 marks off an A* in my business studies exam, and same thing for my 2nd set of science modules I got A-A-C, and the C was because for some messed up reason I was doing foundation, both of these were multiple choice. I find you don't have to recall much information because it's on the page and when you see it you know it.
Reply 17
Physics unit 4 had a multiple choice section, the first I've ever done. It was the hardest exam I've ever sat...questions where you would get 3 or 4 marks normally were only worth one, and it was just ugh overall >_< got a D.
I find multiple choice questions the hardest, especially in an art exam.
Original post by nulli tertius
So providing you are genuinely ignorant, you must score 100%. :biggrin: Only those who do know but nevertheless choose that option, can be marked wrong for selecting it.

I put e for atleast 4 of my answers on the binomial assessment

A) For lols
B) I missed those lessons so didnt know

Quick Reply

Latest