The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1880
Original post by Jessaay!
You say this and you live in Tooting! :p: I feared death when I was there for sportsnight :p:
I feared death when I ended up with their mixed hockey lot PFO in some grubby indian restaurant.
Original post by Renal
I feared death when I ended up with their mixed hockey lot PFO in some grubby indian restaurant.

Scary times :frown: Luckily I survived being with their rowers in a grubby italian restaurant once.
Original post by Mushi_master
We have 2/3 weeks christmas and 4/5 weeks easter, so that really is quite different! Does that make for very intense terms then?

i'd be worried at the quality of our degree if it didn't :p:
Reply 1883
I miss the days of having over 6 months of vacation per year :frown:

Actually, **** that, I don't. Yes, the time "off" was good, but the terms far too intense.
We have our end of year exams in 12 weeks - apparently one of the hardest exams we'll sit throughout medical school just because of the sheer volume they expect us to know! :afraid: Quite scary how quickly this year has gone though! :yep:

Our summers are usually quite long anyway in the first two years. Then get progressively shorter each year. Last summer was epically long! :coma:
Forgot how much I like Coheed and Cambria. :biggrin:
Original post by fission_mailed
forgot how much i like coheed and cambria. :d

high five.
Original post by Jessaay!
high five.

:cool:

And I will never forget that I like Parkway Drive.
Original post by Medicine Man
We have our end of year exams in 12 weeks - apparently one of the hardest exams we'll sit throughout medical school just because of the sheer volume they expect us to know! :afraid: Quite scary how quickly this year has gone though! :yep:

Our summers are usually quite long anyway in the first two years. Then get progressively shorter each year. Last summer was epically long! :coma:

Yeah second year is a bitch.
Original post by digitalis
Yeah second year is a bitch.

About that. Generally speaking I know they will examine us on stuff from both first year and second year, but does that include FunMed material too because that will take the piss. Like ACTUALLY take the piss. :/
Original post by Medicine Man
About that. Generally speaking I know they will examine us on stuff from both first year and second year, but does that include FunMed material too because that will take the piss. Like ACTUALLY take the piss. :/

No there's enough to examine so it will mostly be just second year stuff.

Although it is a damn good idea to learn the funmed stuff in depth because it is the foundation of all of medicine. If you understand that, you understand the mechanisms behind why things go wrong rather than just rote learning reams of signs and symptoms to go with diseases etc.

I cannot believe actually how badly taught Funmed was, it is proving a real hindrance trying to teach myself all of it properly for the USMLE step 1. For example, Carrol glossing over gluconeogenesis in an hour? Or Burley doing pharm in an hour? Total joke.
Reply 1891
I cannot believe actually how badly taught Funmed was, it is proving a real hindrance trying to teach myself all of it properly for the USMLE step 1. For example, Carrol glossing over gluconeogenesis in an hour? Or Burley doing pharm in an hour? Total joke.
I agree.

Never thought about it at the time, or through most of medical school, but I really regret not having a good grasp of the basic science, especially since I'm having to teach myself now.
Original post by Renal
I agree.

Never thought about it at the time, or through most of medical school, but I really regret not having a good grasp of the basic science, especially since I'm having to teach myself now.

Primary is really science heavy yeah.

I just like being able to actually understand why things work, helps me remember it more. I.e. everyone knows diabetics get neuropathies, but why...

Glucose > sorbitol in excess (by aldose reductase) which is osmotically active. This is broken down by sorbitol dehydrogenase by most tissues to fructose. Some tissue like schwann cells, lens, retina, kidneys don't have the dehydrogenase so they can't break it down, so you get osmotic damage in those cells!

Was a proper lightbulb moment for me!
Reply 1893
Primary is really science heavy yeah.

I just like being able to actually understand why things work, helps me remember it more. I.e. everyone knows diabetics get neuropathies, but why...

Glucose > sorbitol in excess (by aldose reductase) which is osmotically active. This is broken down by sorbitol dehydrogenase by most tissues to fructose. Some tissue like schwann cells, lens, retina, kidneys don't have the dehydrogenase so they can't break it down, so you get osmotic damage in those cells!

Was a proper lightbulb moment for me!
I love you. Tell me more!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1894
I'm slowly starting to feel grateful about our pretty hellish preclinical years. At the time, it felt so far-removed from "medicine" that I hated it, but in the last year or so, things are beginning to gel together and make sense a LOT.
Original post by visesh
I'm slowly starting to feel grateful about our pretty hellish preclinical years. At the time, it felt so far-removed from "medicine" that I hated it, but in the last year or so, things are beginning to gel together and make sense a LOT.

There is a middle ground - I'm sure I wouldn't be any worse off for not doing MIMS for instance. :wink:
Original post by Renal
I love you. Tell me more!

I really can't tell if you are taking the piss :p:
Reply 1897
Genuinely genuine mate.
4 of our starting 5 were injured today, so I ended up playing a sight more basketball than I had planned. :s-smilie: Now my knee is starting to lock. :frown:
Does anyone have a good mnemonic for the bones of the foot?

Latest

Trending

Trending