The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6880
marcusmerehay
Other current quality young keepers (who made early debuts) are Akinfeev, Neuer, Romero and Asenjo.

Not forgetting a certain Iker Casillas. :h::

I think it would be downright stupid to invest in another keeper on the summer, unless it's clearly and only for backup. Szczesny is a very good keeper already, and looks like he can go on to be immense. So far, the hype about him at Barnett (was it?) seems to be completely justified.

I'm not even sure we need to invest in squad players for next season, given that people like Lansbury, Frimpong, Coquelin and Emmanuel-Thomas are all due to return. Maybe one more defender, and, in case transfers go a certain way, a striker, but otherwise, I think we should be all right.

More important is how we're going to manage the remainder of this season. We should at the very least finish second, but I do think we could just about win it. It all comes down to consistency (and Utd's results) now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Abiraleft
Not forgetting a certain Iker Casillas. :h::

I think it would be downright stupid to invest in another keeper on the summer, unless it's clearly and only for backup. Szczesny is a very good keeper already, and looks like he can go on to be immense. So far, the hype about him at Barnett (was it?) seems to be completely justified.

I'm not even sure we need to invest in squad players for next season, given that people like Lansbury, Frimpong, Coquelin and Emmanuel-Thomas are all due to return. Maybe one more defender, and, in case transfers go a certain way, a striker, but otherwise, I think we should be all right.

More important is how we're going to manage the remainder of this season. We should at the very least finish second, but I do think we could just about win it. It all comes down to consistency (and Utd's results) now.

Brentford. :yy:

To be fair, of those I think only Lansbury and JET have a realistic shot at the first-team next season, Coquelin is still only 19.

Hopefully we can get a work permit for Ryo in the summer. And Pedro should be back as well. :drool:
Reply 6882
Original post by marcusmerehay
Brentford. :yy:

Oh yes. :yy:

To be fair, of those I think only Lansbury and JET have a realistic shot at the first-team next season, Coquelin is still only 19.

I did say squad players. Coquelin has apparently impressed on loan, and him and Frimpong could ensure that we don't have to piss in our pants every time Song gets a niggle.

Hopefully we can get a work permit for Ryo in the summer. And Pedro should be back as well. :drool:

I'd almost forgotten about Ryo. :drool: Speaking of which, Wellington Silva could also feature.
Reply 6883
The thing that worries me is that we have to play man u at home in a few weeks, and its already being talked about as the title-decider, but if we continue to play the same way as we do against man u as we have been, we seem to lose, whether its this season or the previous season, they always seem to come out on top. Thats a big worry.

Anyway I hope we concentrate on the next few games before the so called title decider, as theres no point hyping that game up, if we are several points behind them by the time we play them at home.
Reply 6884
19 Sat Barclays Premier League A W.B.A.
02 Sat Barclays Premier League H Blackburn Rovers
10 Sun Barclays Premier League A Blackpool
17 Sun Barclays Premier League H Liverpool
20 Wed Barclays Premier League A Tottenham Hotspur
24 Sun Barclays Premier League A Bolton Wanderers
01 Sun Barclays Premier League H Manchester United
07 Sat Barclays Premier League A Stoke City
14 Sat Barclays Premier League H Aston Villa
22 Sun Barclays Premier League A Fulham

The highlighted games are the important ones. We should have both Fabregas and Walcott back for the Blackburn game.
Also the timings of when we play each of those teams is important. Because we have a minimum of 1 week rest between the games except the Spurs one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6885
Original post by jit987

The highlighted games are the important ones. We should have both Fabregas and Walcott back for the Blackburn game.
Also the timings of when we play each of those teams is important. Because we have a minimum of 1 week rest between the games except the Spurs one.

Agreed. I'd say Bolton is also a potential banana-skin.
Reply 6886
Original post by badger-man
I'm obviously disappointed with today's result but we did outplay united for practically the whole game but, as usual, we let ourselves down when it came to finishing. It's so frustrating. We've been dumped out of three competitions in two weeks and now Djourou has been added to the injured list :mad:

Hmmm...I disagree with that. Passing the ball left-right-left-right then getting stopped as soon as they get anywhere near Man Utd's box is not what I call 'outplaying' them. The truth is Arsenal had more possession and more of the game took place in Man Utd's half, but the vast majority of Arsenal's lovely movements came to nothing - not even a shot at goal.

Apart from Chmahkh's header and Kosceiney's chance, I can't think of any decent chances that Arsenal had at goal. Whereas Man Utd had at least 6 decent chances (LOL most of them came from counter attacks, surprise surprise :rolleyes:).
Looking at our squad you have to say Rosicky, Diaby, Denilson, Squillaci are definitely not up to standard. CM is strangely our strongest area and also very weak.

I think we should change formation and get a REAL goal scorer. RVP is immense but he loves playing as a link up player, he's just not a 6 yards sort of player. Having said that Walcott will be perfect there. I just wish Wenger played him up front with RVP. I also wouldn't be against the idea of getting rid of Bendtner for a goal scorer.

We also really need a winger or someone who gives us width. We're incredibly narrow and we have very little cover in this area (3 players who can really play on the wings). Wish those Eden Hazard rumours are true :tongue:
Ok this is how I see things:

Wenger is a very good manager with some significant weaknesses. What he adds to the club in terms of the quality of style of play is irreplaceable. What he adds in terms of his ability to find world-class potential for peanuts and develop them to realise that potential is also irreplaceable. There would be no Henry no Viera no Fabregas and no Wilshere without Wenger. That is a fact. That said one can not ignore his weaknesses. His main weakness is tactical. SAF is an amazing manager however he has deployed the same tactic for at least a dozen meetings against Arsenal. It isn't good enough to still lose in the exact same manner. There have been several occasions when Wenger has gone with the wrong tactic, it is something he needs to work on. His second weakness is he has too much faith in poor players, he simply isn't ruthless enough. Diaby plays consistently bad? no matter he'll still be in the squad. Squilacci awful? give him some more games; fabianski? Oh he's still learning. This attitude robs the players of the desire to prove themselves. Arshavin under SAF wouldn't dream of putting in the pies poor performance that he has this season. The united second string don't have more ability, they simply try harder because they know if they don't, they're out the door.

That said, if you do a cost to benefits analysis of Arsene you'll quickly realise that he is a great benefit to the club. It would be more ideal if he had a number 2 to do the shouting and consult with on tactics. Or at least a vocal commander on the field .
We really just lack a prolific striker and to sell Squillaci and bring in a decent centre back. Van Persie is amazing, but he gets isolated so often with no support while everyone is dropping deep and going into the middle of the pitch. Just imagine we had someone like Henry up there yesterday with Van Persie. Someone incredibly talented who ain't afraid to shoot, have a go at the opposition defence and someone that's prepared to make well timed runs in behind the defence. I know it's not easy to find someone like that, but seriously Bendtner and Chamakh are so far removed from it, I'm sure Wenger could easily find someone better.

Wenger needs to get harsh this summer and get rid of the players that ain't good enough. We've had Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner, Rosicky for several years now at the club, and they've all only slightly improved or actually got worse in that time. Wilshere has shown more promise in one season than Denilson or Diaby have in 3.
Reply 6890
Rumors of a Jens Lehmann comeback to see out the season :O
Original post by marcusmerehay
The fact he has some talented competition has finally given him a kick up the arse.

Aye, he was prob a little at fault for the second goal but made some solid saves. It's always been his decision making that's at fault, hopefully he can keep his head screwed on.. not like we have an alternative.

Re: Centrebacks, we could potentially recall Bartley from Rangers but they'd have to agree to terminate the loan. Given that Bartley has been a regular at centre back for them it's very unlikely to happen. More likely Miquel will be asked to step up.

Benik Afobe won his 3rd consecutive MotM award for Huddersfield this weekend.

All courtesy of Young Guns of course.
Reply 6892
With wenger you've gotta consider that if Ancelotti, Mancini and perhaps even Ferguson at this age went, well it will be 6 years now without a trophy, would they still be in the job? Very very unlikely

And you can talk as much as you want about good football, yesterday was not an example of good football, passing it in front of the box is not good football, there was zero penetration and no incision to your play. Man Utd were terrible in that first half as well, but they did display some good, effective counter attacking football in the second half, that was good football not the rubbish Arsenal played.

The only time Arsenal play their tipi tapi and find it effective is against rubbish teams, you will never touch Barcelona because your team does not have the steel nor the desire to close down on the opposition when they lose the ball in the manner that they do
Original post by a_t
With wenger you've gotta consider that if Ancelotti, Mancini and perhaps even Ferguson at this age went, well it will be 6 years now without a trophy, would they still be in the job? Very very unlikely

And you can talk as much as you want about good football, yesterday was not an example of good football, passing it in front of the box is not good football, there was zero penetration and no incision to your play. Man Utd were terrible in that first half as well, but they did display some good, effective counter attacking football in the second half, that was good football not the rubbish Arsenal played.

The only time Arsenal play their tipi tapi and find it effective is against rubbish teams, you will never touch Barcelona because your team does not have the steel nor the desire to close down on the opposition when they lose the ball in the manner that they do

This is a bit unfair tbh. No team is able to press on the level that Barca do. There has never been a team to do that to Arsenal, not even Chelsea at their best a couple of season ago.

I also think your comments on the lack of penetration are a bit over exaggerated. True the second string of Arsenal isn't good enough in this area, Diaby, Denilson ect are far too slow, they don't pass with pace, but this season and most of last our first team has cut open resilient defences. I think with regards to yesterday, if our central midfield had consisted of Nasri, Wilshere and Ramsey, they'd have been a lot more chances.
Reply 6894
Original post by Complex Simplicity
This is a bit unfair tbh. No team is able to press on the level that Barca do. There has never been a team to do that to Arsenal, not even Chelsea at their best a couple of season ago.

I also think your comments on the lack of penetration are a bit over exaggerated. True the second string of Arsenal isn't good enough in this area, Diaby, Denilson ect are far too slow, they don't pass with pace, but this season and most of last our first team has cut open resilient defences. I think with regards to yesterday, if our central midfield had consisted of Nasri, Wilshere and Ramsey, they'd have been a lot more chances.

Pressing in the manner that barca do doesn't require a lot of skill however, just determination and hunger

And lets not forget Arsenal were playing against a midfield of the Da Silva twins who are fullbacks, Gibson who is mediocrity defined and John O'Shea, not exactly world class...
Original post by a_t
Pressing in the manner that barca do doesn't require a lot of skill however, just determination and hunger

And lets not forget Arsenal were playing against a midfield of the Da Silva twins who are fullbacks, Gibson who is mediocrity defined and John O'Shea, not exactly world class...

I agree it does require a level of determination but again many of the mid-table teams we come up against have lots of determination, tonnes of hunger yet they don't press at the level Barca do. I think there is an element of skill in it tbh, if there wasn't more people would be as good at it as Barca are.
Reply 6896
Original post by Complex Simplicity
I agree it does require a level of determination but again many of the mid-table teams we come up against have lots of determination, tonnes of hunger yet they don't press at the level Barca do. I think there is an element of skill in it tbh, if there wasn't more people would be as good at it as Barca are.

Well not really, since they wouldn't retain the ball as much, its easier to retain possession than to chase for it
Reply 6897
Original post by a_t

That's not true, there are rules in the manner Barca presses. Notice everytime Barca press you'll see there will be at least two players on the opposing side, positioning is vital. Also Pep has got this 7 second rule, i.e if the ball is not retrieved within that time then every player goes back to their formation. If pressing like Barca was a matter of determination then all teams would do it, why are we so good at it? Because it's not just a matter of determination, there is a theory behind it.
Original post by a_t
Well not really, since they wouldn't retain the ball as much, its easier to retain possession than to chase for it

Barca (poster) has already commented, but to address your post, Arsenal couldn't string more than 4 passes together against barca. This is when we were in possession not when barca were. They pressed in triangles, we couldn't keep hold of the ball. Nasri is very skilful but as soon as he passed Alves, there was Busquets and Iniesta, or Xavi and Mascherano. Like I said, no team presses like Barca do.
Reply 6899
Original post by jit987

Hmmm, i wouldn't write off West Brom away and Bolton away since Utd have relatively easy fixtures during those matches. Fulham away can also be a bitch, i remember Mannone had to be a beast in this fixture last year and scrapped a 1-0 win.

Latest