The Student Room Group

Why do I behave so awkwardly in social situations? Was this awkward?

Scroll to see replies

I think you may be over analysing slightly.
Reply 21
Short film he'd made?

Sounds like you were hanging out with the "artsy-crafty-oh-look-at-me-I'm-so-creative" clique.

In my opinion, they're all pretentious douches and make many many situations awkward.

Stay well away is my advice :smile:.
Lol just what. What?
Reply 23
Original post by fhatthewuck
'Oh good, you've got something in your hand now!'.

She was trying to be friendly... You don't have to overanalyse every tiny little thing.
Reply 24
Are you a guy or girl? And I don't think you acted awkwardly at all.

Also it sounds like the first girl was hitting on you. You could have said something like: "Your hands seem empty too, perhaps you should hold my penis."

Were these people obese by any chance?
You did nothing wrong and neither did she. I've had people refer to me not eating before and I didn't think "OMG, why are they implying I'm anorexic", I just thought it was nice of them to start small talk with me.
Don't worry :smile: you're just overanalysing the situation - everyone does it sometimes, you behaved perfectly fine :smile:
Reply 27
Hmm..thanks guys..should I take it up with my mate now? Tell him to please NOT keep saying that I'm shy as it annoys the **** out of me.
shoulda just said you're having an early radaman (i.e. you were fasting)
Reply 29
Original post by Singh_2
Are you a guy or girl? And I don't think you acted awkwardly at all.

Also it sounds like the first girl was hitting on you. You could have said something like: "Your hands seem empty too, perhaps you should hold my penis."

Were these people obese by any chance?

Lol, nah I doubt she was hitting on me as she's engaged and getting married in a few months. I'm a guy. And no they weren't obese LMAO...
I tend to be quite shy in big social situations and always tell myself that I'm going to open up and talk more, but IT NEVER WORKS! I used to think of what I was going to say but have stopped doing that now, I tend to go with the flow. However, after every social situation, I just feel like an idiot and hate myself. Here's what happened today; I felt extremely awkward.
So I went over to a friend's place for a screening of a short handmade film he's made. There were a lot of his friends there, around 15 of them who I didn't know but did know one guy really well who I was with most of the time.(Anything wrong with that?). So after the film, there was some food and drink and after I finished eating, this girl comes up to me and says 'Why are your hands empty? There's so much food going around. Have something!'. I mumbled that I was full, but my idiotic mate made it worse and said, 'Oh come on, don't be shy, have something'.
Then later on, I was eating something and the same girl says 'Oh good, you've got something in your hand now!'. And I just smile awkwardly, SHOULD I HAVE SAID SOMETHING? And then the third incident, sorry for rambling on, but this guy came in with something on a tray and offered it to everyone. I refused, but this girl(not the same one as earlier) said to me, 'Hey didn't you want one of these'? I , again mumbled, 'No no, I'm fine' and again my mate went on 'Have some, don't be shy'. GRRR.. **** ..I just feel so odd and out of place sometimes.
Would anyone here have reacted differently? And now I'm thinking all sorts of situations, whether I should have said anything different or behaved differently or whether my friends would have reacted the same way in similar situations..

i get you i fell like this at times. reading it from someone elses point of view i'm able to see where you may be going wrong and that's in analysing every single thing that other people will see a insignificant.

there isn't a right or wrong way you so have acted in that situation. I bet no one went away and where like 'that guy was so weird for saying that / acting like that"

you need to get out the habit of thinking like this and try and be more confident in everything you say/do regardless of whether you think it could have been handled a diferent way

everyone has awkard situations just don't dwell on them
Hmm..thanks guys..should I take it up with my mate now? Tell him to please NOT keep saying that I'm shy as it annoys the **** out of me.
he cockblocked you twice, so yeah
Naw, you're not being awkward, so don't worry too much about it. I sometimes have these problems as well. I used to say "it's okay" vaguely when food was offered. Now, I plainly reply "no its fine", with a smile. U just have to laugh these things off and speak for yourself! :biggrin:
Reply 33
You over-analyze the situation. Enjoy yourself and live your life.
Original post by Mann18
At least one person does.

Oh you're cool
This girl sounds annoying, I would have nutted her.
Reply 36
Original post by Dubs_ski
This girl sounds annoying, I would have nutted her.

I'm more annoyed and frankly pissed off with my mate. I just texted him 'THE NEXT TIME YOU TELL NOT TO BE SHY IN A PUBLIC PLACE OR A SOCIAL GATHERING, YOU WON'T HAVE THE TEETH TO SAY IT ANOTHER TIME. WATCH OUT AND DON'T ****ING DO IT COS IT ****ING ANNOYS ME'.
Reply 37
I'm more annoyed and frankly pissed off with my mate. I just texted him 'THE NEXT TIME YOU TELL NOT TO BE SHY IN A PUBLIC PLACE OR A SOCIAL GATHERING, YOU WON'T HAVE THE TEETH TO SAY IT ANOTHER TIME. WATCH OUT AND DON'T ****ING DO IT COS IT ****ING ANNOYS ME'.

Nice! He got told.
Reply 38

You should've said this on your mate's face at the gathering.
Reply 39
Original post by iq101
You should've said this on your mate's face at the gathering.

Yeah well atleast he won't do it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending