The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AuldYin
Cos she didn't get her interview letter initially and so didn't respond and thus was marked unsuccessful. Thankfully it was in error and another interview was arranged.

What she said :rolleyes: It was a mistake and I'm really glad I was pushy with it now.

Yeah, it is an interesting book, but the easier way to see it is by weighing up the justice, autonomy, beneficence and non-maleficence of your actions within the given situation. This was in an interview book (Dr Christopher See "How to Succeed in your Medical School Interview") and I thought it was a much better way of dealing with most ethics situations that could be pulled out of the hat.

So, for example, I would explain that whilst a transplant would save one persons life (or, in the case of kidneys/pancreas/corneas, improve it dramatically) 100,000 doses of a drug that saves 1/1000 people means I would save 100. I would do the greater good by choosing the drug over the transplant. This situation considers justice (use of resources wisely), beneficence and non maleficence (doing good, and doing no harm - I do more harm using resources for the transplant rather than the drug).

Is how I would've done it if liverpool had gotten off their arses and given me an interview. :frown:
Reply 1521
2 more days
Reply 1522
Original post by dmz
2 more days

eeeeeeeek
Reply 1523
Original post by cuhlowey
eeeeeeeek

How was work? Had to make my own mask cleaning up crap today
Reply 1524
Original post by dmz
How was work? Had to make my own mask cleaning up crap today

was long and boring because i was in the residential wing today. so since they can do everything themselves,its basically serving food and cleaning up a bit! :biggrin:

crap cleaning mask...nice....
just breathe through your mouth,you get used to the smell! its easier breathing thru ur teeth tho instead of ur nose when ur wipin up crap!!
Reply 1525
was long and boring because i was in the residential wing today. so since they can do everything themselves,its basically serving food and cleaning up a bit! :biggrin:

crap cleaning mask...nice....
just breathe through your mouth,you get used to the smell! its easier breathing thru ur teeth tho instead of ur nose when ur wipin up crap!!

was busy for a while then got really quiet. Thanks for the tip, i went in without anything just nearly vomited so i got couple of paper towels and had a few disposal bags tied together then round the towels in front of my nose. Looked like a cheap surgeon :smug:

are you calling on monday?
Reply 1526
Original post by dmz
was busy for a while then got really quiet. Thanks for the tip, i went in without anything just nearly vomited so i got couple of paper towels and had a few disposal bags tied together then round the towels in front of my nose. Looked like a cheap surgeon :smug:

are you calling on monday?

nah i can't really im workin,but you're gonna let me kno the news right? :colonhash:

:h:
Reply 1527
nah i can't really im workin,but you're gonna let me kno the news right? :colonhash:

:h:

I'm sure you get lunch :colonhash: i finish at 2 :biggrin:. I will if it's good news or no news, if it isn't you'll find out on the news :bawling:
Reply 1528
Original post by dmz
I'm sure you get lunch :colonhash: i finish at 2 :biggrin:. I will if it's good news or no news, if it isn't you'll find out on the news :bawling:

yes but my lunch isn't very private, people always coming in and out of the room constantly. so i wouldn't want to make such an important phonecall with such disturbances, :wink:
Reply 1529
yes but my lunch isn't very private, people always coming in and out of the room constantly. so i wouldn't want to make such an important phonecall with such disturbances, :wink:

you could go outside to a corner no one ever goes :colonhash:. I've been fairly confident but everyone's prepared loads and I'm worried sick think what if? :sad:
If anyone rings in tomorrow and they actually give the verdict could you post on here if they will tell us also. I really want to know. And dmz or anyone else could you pm me the number, please?
Original post by phill232
If anyone rings in tomorrow and they actually give the verdict could you post on here if they will tell us also. I really want to know. And dmz or anyone else could you pm me the number, please?

Seconded :rolleyes:
Reply 1532
If i post it on here the poor lady'll probably get bombarded with phone calls :tongue:, i'll PM you both though (the number's not exactly top secret in a secret archive either :rolleyes:)
Reply 1533
Original post by dmz
If i post it on here the poor lady'll probably get bombarded with phone calls :tongue:, i'll PM you both though (the number's not exactly top secret in a secret archive either :rolleyes:)

is the number just the admissions office number from the webiste?
Reply 1534
Original post by Med16793
is the number just the admissions office number from the webiste?

yup, woman on the phone gave me a number to call

It was the same number :colonhash:
getting excited about tomorrow and the rest of the week...emails will be checked frequently.
Reply 1536
Original post by sweetchilli
getting excited about tomorrow and the rest of the week...emails will be checked frequently.

Ditto, not optimistic though...
Reply 1537
Right, so there's someone in my school (not me, I've already been rejected due to UKCAT :tongue:) who got 8 1's, 5 A's, very good work experience (did a bunch of shadowing a think) and got about 680 ish for UKCAT, but they've not heard back yet. Are they still giving out interviews? It seems like this person should have got an interview, having met the requirements and such.

Also, there's another person in my school who got about 600 UKCAT, but maintains that she has heard nothing from Glasgow. I heard back in late Jan that I was rejected due to the UKCAT, and she's definitely under the cut off, so I'm guessing that she just doesn't want to admit she's been rejected?

Also, good luck, Glasgow's a great city! *curses the UKCAT under his breath :tongue:
Original post by KCosmo
Right, so there's someone in my school (not me, I've already been rejected due to UKCAT :tongue:) who got 8 1's, 5 A's, very good work experience (did a bunch of shadowing a think) and got about 680 ish for UKCAT, but they've not heard back yet. Are they still giving out interviews? It seems like this person should have got an interview, having met the requirements and such.

Also, there's another person in my school who got about 600 UKCAT, but maintains that she has heard nothing from Glasgow. I heard back in late Jan that I was rejected due to the UKCAT, and she's definitely under the cut off, so I'm guessing that she just doesn't want to admit she's been rejected?

Also, good luck, Glasgow's a great city! *curses the UKCAT under his breath :tongue:

Hi
Well, the person with 680 should have got an interview and may well have had one sent. Harbour Seal was the same but phoned and her interview invite was lost due to snow so she had been rejected as a no-show. However, when she phoned an interview was arranged and she had it last week. I'd get your friend to phone 1st thing. As for the person with 600, it would be a straight rejection.

hth
Reply 1539
Original post by sweetchilli
Hi
Well, the person with 680 should have got an interview and may well have had one sent. Harbour Seal was the same but phoned and her interview invite was lost due to snow so she had been rejected as a no-show. However, when she phoned an interview was arranged and she had it last week. I'd get your friend to phone 1st thing. As for the person with 600, it would be a straight rejection.

hth

cheers, I'll get the person to phone up sharpish! Any word back for you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending