The Student Room Group

Can not get past the 65% mark! Brain block

Can someone recommend me a good way to learn A level maths.
I got over all grade C, And now I am doing retakes, Just maths only, but I find it soo boring that I keep forgetting what I learnt and making so many simple mistakes, as if my brain is switched off.

I been going to Library 6 days a week and only doing maths for up to 5 hours a day, I done so many exams papers but then I when I come back to the same exam paper I did before, I forgot everything.

I just did my January exams, and my grade is still a C….I did even worse than before and yet I invested so many hours doing maths.

I have really good memory in all other subjects but for maths I keep forgetting even if I done the same exam practice paper.
Every one says, do lots of past papers and that’s what I am doing, and still forgetting most of the things I learnt,.

It feels like I am stuck in the 65% and cannot go any further.

Can someone recommend me a good way to use pastpapers? A good way to not forget the questions I just done.
Eg…If I do a c3 past paper today, should I redo the same paper again next day?? And repeat 3 days later?
I am doing c1 c2 s1 c3 and c4, and go library 6 days a week.

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by TOSH900
Can someone recommend me a good way to learn A level maths.
I got over all grade C, And now I am doing retakes, Just maths only, but I find it soo boring that I keep forgetting what I learnt and making so many simple mistakes, as if my brain is switched off.

I been going to Library 6 days a week and only doing maths for up to 5 hours a day, I done so many exams papers but then I when I come back to the same exam paper I did before, I forgot everything.

I just did my January exams, and my grade is still a C….I did even worse than before and yet I invested so many hours doing maths.

I have really good memory in all other subjects but for maths I keep forgetting even if I done the same exam practice paper.
Every one says, do lots of past papers and that’s what I am doing, and still forgetting most of the things I learnt,.

It feels like I am stuck in the 65% and cannot go any further.

Can someone recommend me a good way to use pastpapers? A good way to not forget the questions I just done.
Eg…If I do a c3 past paper today, should I redo the same paper again next day?? And repeat 3 days later?
I am doing c1 c2 s1 c3 and c4, and go library 6 days a week.

Thanks

Why are you doing maths if you think it's boring? I;d suggest finding something interesting that you enjoy about maths, and start with that. For me, it's calculus, but anything you think is easiest/most interesting would be a good start.

Secondly, I get the impression you're just learning how to do questions, rather than trying to understand the underlying theory and ideas behind it. You can't be really good at maths until you understand everything you do, or at least as much as possible. Try getting a tutor, or even reading your maths book, and try and understand not only the steps they take, but why they take them.

_Kar.
Reply 2
Original post by Kareir
Why are you doing maths if you think it's boring? I;d suggest finding something interesting that you enjoy about maths, and start with that. For me, it's calculus, but anything you think is easiest/most interesting would be a good start.

Secondly, I get the impression you're just learning how to do questions, rather than trying to understand the underlying theory and ideas behind it. You can't be really good at maths until you understand everything you do, or at least as much as possible. Try getting a tutor, or even reading your maths book, and try and understand not only the steps they take, but why they take them.

_Kar.

I do understand, then I forget:s-smilie:
I need an A in maths to do Chemistry at uni
Once you look at the answer in a past paper, the question is a write-off. Looking a question and knowing what you are going to do is the key to success. If you know the steps to take you might as well not bother doing the question, because that is 90% of it. People who say they understand and then don't get good grades, are usually kidding themselves, by not knowing how to do something, looking at the answer, then saying "oh, thats how you do it" then doing it and thinking they understand. As for A-Level maths questions, the difficulty of the actual questions a monkey could master them, they are the same over and over, spend enough time you will find them easy.

If you can't start a question you get 0, if you can start it chances are you will get 80-90% of the marks.
Reply 4
Original post by doggyfizzel
Once you look at the answer in a past paper, the question is a write-off. Looking a question and knowing what you are going to do is the key to success. If you know the steps to take you might as well not bother doing the question, because that is 90% of it. People who say they understand and then don't get good grades, are usually kidding themselves, by not knowing how to do something, looking at the answer, then saying "oh, thats how you do it" then doing it and thinking they understand. As for A-Level maths questions, the difficulty of the actual questions a monkey could master them, they are the same over and over, spend enough time you will find them easy.

If you can't start a question you get 0, if you can start it chances are you will get 80-90% of the marks.

eg, Logs on c2, I spend a day revising and then I could do all the questions in the book and did them!
But now I come to it again after 2 weeks, I struggled to do half of them:s-smilie:
If this was physics or chem I would have remmbered.

Quick Reply

Latest