The Student Room Group

NGDP

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by alidotcodotuk
Hi Catpink! Good to know that someone on here is going the same AC as me! What area are you interested in? I'm from Cheshire so hoping I get through and have a chance there.

How's everyone revising for the AC? It's hard to know where to start! :s-smilie:

Hi there,

After the information session, i think my area preferences have changed. I am looking for midlands, london and southwest regions.

I am revising for the AC, yes i agree i don't really know where to look for information!

Clare
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by catpink
Hi there,

After the information session, i think my area preferences have changed. I am looking for midlands, london and southwest regions.

I am revising for the AC, yes i agree i don't really know where to look for information!

Clare

I don't think that there is really anyway that you can revise for it, other than researching local government before hand, and generally preparing for an assessment centre. That is the impression that I've got.
(edited 13 years ago)
Just a quick (and possibly silly) question - the email inviting candidates to the AC said: 'You will participate in a group exercise and a role play, prepare and deliver a presentation and complete an analysis report.'

Is it a group role play exercise, or a group exercise and a separate roleplay task?
Reply 103
Hey!
I'm a bit late joining this but I've stumbled onto this whilst doing some prep. How's everyone feeling for the assessment centres?
Hi all,

I am attending the AC this week. I just wondered if Chris (or anyone else) could confirm that there is no competency-based interview at the AC? Is it just the 4 tasks and a chat about location preferences?

Many thanks and best of luck (well, not too much!) to everyone else attending.
Hi Chris

Thanks for coming on here and offering your advice. I just have one question - The email said we had to write an analytical report - are there any computers available for writing such tasks?

At the information centre they said they had changed the format from last year so perhaps we will have different tasks to do than you did? I guess we won't have long to find out!! :s-smilie:
The written task is completed on a laptop. :-)
Reply 107
For the purposes of the NGDP, local government = all kinds local authorities except parish councils etc. So include: District, Metropolitan, County and Unitary Authorities. These are all in the scheme - if you don't know what they are, you should look them up.

chris:smile:
Reply 108
Original post by CrimsonSky
Hi all,

I am attending the AC this week. I just wondered if Chris (or anyone else) could confirm that there is no competency-based interview at the AC? Is it just the 4 tasks and a chat about location preferences?

Many thanks and best of luck (well, not too much!) to everyone else attending.

Hi,

Location preferences: No chat, you just indicate where you would like to go on a form. If you have a specific council in mind, then indicate that regardless of what the form says. If not, you go by region.

As for the AC - as you only have a few days left to prepare; try to get an overview of the challenges facing LG and do some interview practice to make sure you can talk about relevant experiences you have.

There's not a formal interview scenario, as there is no job description for an NMT really. But some of the tasks have elements of interviewing in them. Think about being a 'generalist' type manager - this is what the NGDP is about.

Sorry to be vague, but there is no such thing as an NMT job spec for you to look at!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 109
I should also add borough council which is the same as a district for all purposes.

Yeah, as long as you understand that some counties are tiered - County Council and below them, several distrcit/brough councils.

Others re unitary - so there is just one uber council (see Wales).

London = a law onto itself, go look up if you plan to work there (it swallows up about 1/2 the NMTs each year)

Chris
Original post by *chris*
Hi,

Location preferences: No chat, you just indicate where you would like to go on a form. If you have a specific council in mind, then indicate that regardless of what the form says. If not, you go by region.

As for the AC - as you only have a few days left to prepare; try to get an overview of the challenges facing LG and do some interview practice to make sure you can talk about relevant experiences you have.

There's not a formal interview scenario, as there is no job description for an NMT really. But some of the tasks have elements of interviewing in them. Think about being a 'generalist' type manager - this is what the NGDP is about.

Sorry to be vague, but there is no such thing as an NMT job spec for you to look at!

Hey Chris,

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Just to clarify- As part of those tasks, will they ask competency-bases q's such as 'Tell me about a time when you displayed....'? i.e. Is it necessary in advance to think of concrete examples of when I showed organisational/interpersonal, etc. skills?

Cheers
Reply 111
Dear Tina, I am in the same boat. They said I will hear in the next 2 weeks! I had my interview at the end of January!

Amy
Hi Amy,
it really drives me nuts...I keep looking at my email account like I'm expecting a death thread :frown:
I'd like to think that I didn't make it but there is just an inch of hope ... I called them last Friday again and the lady actually looked up my file on the pc. She didn' t say anything though other than that I may hear "next week or so". I just heard the "or so" bit, typical!
I hope we'll hear from them soon...
Reply 113
Hi everyone. Anyone else experiencing conspicuous radio silence from the NGDP recruitment team? When should I give up waiting for a reply? I haven't heard a peep since I submitted my application in November.
I was trying to remain optimistic about not yet having heard anything, but the fact that the information days have been and gone, and people have assessment centres next week suggests that they are perhaps just being disorganised and haven't found the time to inform the rejects. I would obviously be very pleased to hear otherwise, however!
Reply 115
Original post by CrimsonSky
Hey Chris,

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Just to clarify- As part of those tasks, will they ask competency-bases q's such as 'Tell me about a time when you displayed....'? i.e. Is it necessary in advance to think of concrete examples of when I showed organisational/interpersonal, etc. skills?

Cheers

Well, the bulk of the day isn't like that - but I think you would do well to have some solid examples (this is good practice for all AC's you attend). So, even if your not strictly being interviewed, you will have opportunites to drop your experiences into conversation - can't do any harm!:smile:
Reply 116
AC, very soon guys, see some of you there maybe,
@ those who are still waiting to hear.
During my information centre, I spoke to the programme organiser and although he said there were eleven assessment centres, they might include one more. they didn't say why this was the case, but it may explain why ur still waiting to hear.

Anyone at the leeds ac on the last day of the month.

M14_tangerine
Original post by Next1988
AC, very soon guys, see some of you there maybe,

Is anyone at the AC on thursday in London?Panic and stress levels are rising for me!:eek:
Reply 119
Original post by HelenSarah23
Is anyone at the AC on thursday in London?Panic and stress levels are rising for me!:eek:

yep lol

Quick Reply